Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 am

Brewster's Millions 
Second Unit Director

Post Brewster's Millions
This is one of my favorite Richard Pryor comedies, and the bros and I discuss this all the time. If you were caught in this scenario, do you think you could spend all the money in 30 days with nothing to show for it? I'm convinced I could...and here's how I would do it. Also, $30 million in 1985 is worth $65 million today...

The rules are:

You can gamble 5% and donate 5% to charity
You can't destroy that which is inherently valuable (can't buy a picasso and burn it)
You can pay people to do things, but you have to get honest value for their work

My solution is just rent out a local bar for 30 days, and just hire famous bands to play 3-4 times a day until the money is gone. When you start calling in Led Zeppelin to get back together, and the Stones, and Elton John and Billy Joel,...you are going to blow through some cash. I could smoke $65 million in a couple of weeks doing my idea.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Brewster's Millions
While that would make for an awesome concert film, it otherwise wouldn't be very cinematic. :)

I would eliminate the gambling and charity, though. Formalized gambling could actually net you money (stupid investments, like in the movie, are another matter) unless your goal is to make stupid bets until you lose your 5%, in which case, why waste your time? I'm all for charity, but in the context of this challenge, it's not all that hard to do.

With these 2 things, you are not trying to blow the money in the spirit of the movie's rules; all you are really doing is saying "I have to blow $27 million instead of $30 million."

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 am