Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:34 pm

The Counselor 
Director

Post The Counselor
Surprised that Ridley Scott's latest isn't on JB's que. I'm curious about it to see what he can do with a Cormac McCarthy script.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:26 am
Producer

Post Re: The Counselor
I'm intrigued to see how McCarthy handles writing natively for the screen. I know No Country For Old Men started life as a movie idea before he developed it as a novel, but that's not the same thing.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:45 am
Producer

Looks a hell of a lot better then Prometheus.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:57 am
Director

Prometheus wasn't that bad. What it lacked in plot and character development it made up for in visual style and visceral excitement. And I prefer it to Alien, which is overrated IMO.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Looking forward to this. But hopefully, if the main character dies, they'll actually show it on screen this time! ;)

Yes, a slight dig at Cormac McCarthy's expense. :lol:

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:03 am
Producer

I agree that Alien was a tad overrated, but it still felt like a stronger film then Prometheus, which for me had way too many plot holes and stupid moves made by characters to serve the plot for me to overlook.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
like that one person who is trying to outrun a ship, someone else manages to avoid it by going to the side, does the other person follow their lead? No, they stupidly continue running a straight line towards their death

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 am
Director

A film by Ridley Scott written by Cormac McCarthy? It rouses my interest.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:34 pm
Assistant Director

Guys, I am extremely worried about this. It's Tuesday and there are NO REVIEWS on Rotten Tomatoes yet. Either there are plot twists so shocking that they don't want anyone even insinuating what they are, or the movie is a steaming pile of crap.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Producer

Studios typically place an embargo on reviews if the movie's first weekend is critic-proof. While Scott and McCarthy are big names to people like us, I doubt they qualify as much for the general public. Unless we hear otherwise, I'm skeptical that this is the reason we're not yet seeing reviews.

That, and I can't imagine that a collaboration between these two isn't at least decent.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:46 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Studios typically place an embargo on reviews if the movie's first weekend is critic-proof. While Scott and McCarthy are big names to people like us, I doubt they qualify as much for the general public. Unless we hear otherwise, I'm skeptical that this is the reason we're not yet seeing reviews.

That, and I can't imagine that a collaboration between these two isn't at least decent.

God I hope you're right. The trailers thankfully haven't given away much. Not that I need to know what this movie is really about, anyway. The cast + director + writer involved is enough to get me excited.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:22 pm
Director

A Cormac McCarthy script. I would be shocked, and then eventually intrigued, to see if the movie turns out bad.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:30 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I've been scouring the Internet for reviews and I can't find a single one. I certainly hope that this isn't a disappointment.
On the other hand, my theater isn't getting this movie this weekend, and I'll be a little bit less pissed off about it if the reviews aren't great.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Twitter reactions have been interesting:

"Man, The Counselor is mean. Just ugly, ugly cinema. Bleak with a capital B. I like and am perplexed by it in equal measure." (Renn Brown, CHUD)

"This year's Killing Them Softly. Outstanding movie, Cinemascore will be F-." (Jordan Hoffman)

I guess we know why no screening then.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 pm
Director

The comparisons to Killing Them Softly scare me since I didn't like that movie. I don't mind dark movies. If it's like No Country for Old Men, that's fine with me, I love that movie as much as anybody. But please, nothing like Killing Them Softly.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 am
Producer

It can't possibly be as harsh as Blood Meridian.

And I deliberately phrase it that way, because there are very few circumstances in which the kind of amoral brutality depicted in Blood Meridian can possibly happen.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:38 am
Director

I haven't watched the trailer or even read anything about it (and also haven't watched KTS), but I imagine the reference to Killing Them Softly might be more about the gap between critics' and general audience's reactions. I could be wrong though.

I also just accidentally read about a most intriguing scene involving Cameron Diaz. I'm not spoiling any plot here, but people's reaction to that scene seems to be something along the line of the chicken scene in Killing Joe.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:59 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I was just about to post a new thread about The Counselor but it appears that my fellow Reelviews compatriots beat me to it. I am curious that this film is not on JB's list as well. This film intrigues me on several levels: (1) wondering how Ridley Scott can handle a Cormac McCarthy script, and (2) the high-profile cast that includes Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem.

JB, have you seen this film, and if not, do you intend on seeing this film? (I know you have stated before that you do not necessarily write reviews for all films you see)

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:28 am
Assistant Director

JB said he was not invited to an advance screening, so he will see this movie Thursday night.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:53 am
Director

It's not that bad. The critics are definitely off on this one IMO. It's definitely very flawed. Michael Fassbender's character turns out to be not very interesting. He's not a very proactive guy. He just kind of lets things happen. He mopes and mopes but doesn't really try and do anything. The movie also appears to be missing an ending. It just kind of ends. But in spite of these flaws, I still enjoyed the movie. It's still fairly compelling and gripping. Cameron Diaz is great in this. I've always found her underrated and she continues to prove why I love her.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:36 am
Director

so Bad Grandpa has a much higher rating on RT(61 to 35) than The Counselor. who would've thunk it.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:43 pm
Producer

Hearing about dark this film is, i've decided to wait until DVD to see it.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:07 pm