Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Nothugh's 'Armond White Challenge' 
Director

Post Re: Nothugh's 'Armond White Challenge'
Quote:
Well, I can only analyze his method so much. I don't know the guy. But I do know one thing: if it hadn't been for him, I wouldn't have seen some of my favorite films of all time that I like to watch over and over again. Would never even know they existed. Films like Detention, Pawn Shop Chronicles, Resident Evil, Crank, Repo Man, Mission to Mars. I had no knowledge of Mission to Mars until maybe 3 years ago. I'm literally browsing around on the net one day and all of sudden...wait, Brian De Palma made a space movie?

I was serious when I said on a different thread that I had never heard of Walter Hill until a year and half ago. How would I have heard of him? Through Berardinelli? Nope, no dice. Through one of the two-dozen best movie lists on the web? For the most part, nope. Did Ebert emphasize him ever? Nope. Didn't like his work that much. Of course, he had the right not to like his work. But it's just that...there HAS to be a way to get the word out there to people who might be interested in the movie, whether or not you like it yourself.

My bottom line is: I would have lived my whole life and died perhaps without ever having heard of any of those movies.

I think that says more about you than it does any critics. I'm often surprised at how many films you haven't seen.
I grew up pre internet and went to film school in the early to mid 90s, but have a feeling that at age 19-20, I saw a lot more movies than you have today at that age, despite you having so many more resources than I did. I think the internet has made everyone more of a niche type viewer than the average film buff of the 80s/90s where you just watched everything and had to work really hard to see many movies. I traveled 30-40 miles to see stuff like The Piano, a Leone revival, and to find a bootleg of Ace in the Hole. Now today there is no urgency with the average film fan, and since they can pretty much see anything at any time, they often choose not to see anything new at all. Tarantino is a bit older than me, but his experience as a kid sounds not that different to mine, searching the tv guide for films and just watching pretty much them all. Maybe you should stop watching the same movies over and over again, and try watching something you haven't seen more often.

And the idea that Walter Hill is some obscure filmmaker that no film fans/critics today remember is rather absurd, even coming from someone born in 1993, I think.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:28 pm
Director

Quote:
And the idea that Walter Hill is some obscure filmmaker that no film fans/critics today remember is rather absurd, even coming from someone born in 1993, I think.

I was born in 91. It's not absurd since you stated the reasons pretty accurately. I believe niche taste is the genuine future of the art form. Other than 48 Hrs, can Walter Hill's movies be considered truly mainstream? Southern Comfort is a movie that everybody knows about? I was familiar with 48 Hrs probably at age 7, but not with Hill as a standalone auteur. It doesn't matter how absurd it is because we both know it's true. There are plenty of people who consider themselves movie buffs but who don't know Walter Hill. Maybe not your age, but definitely my age.

Quote:
but have a feeling that at age 19-20, I saw a lot more movies than you have today at that age, despite you having so many more resources than I did.

I've seen quite a lot of movies, many of which I just don't talk or think about anymore. I'm sure I've seen stuff that no one else on here has.

Quote:
I traveled 30-40 miles to see stuff like The Piano, a Leone revival, and to find a bootleg of Ace in the Hole.

I've done the equivalent of all of those things many times.

Quote:
since they can pretty much see anything at any time, they often choose not to see anything new at all.

Yes, I know the type. But I'm not it. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many hours of my life I've spent trying to find watchable copies of films like Thunder Bay, Countdown, things by Borzage, Alan Rudolph, Godard...Christ, the dozen times I've tried to find a watchable version of Nouvelle Vague and failed every time. Man, that's frustrating. And isn't it true that Southern Comfort was not available in anything better than VHS quality until about 6 months ago?

Quote:
Maybe you should stop watching the same movies over and over again, and try watching something you haven't seen more often.

The movies I watch over and over again, I do so out of pure hedonism. I just enjoy the hell out of it. Unless I'm trying to write an analytical book, my motives are not purer than that. I mean hell, I'll admit it: the action films White recommends entertain the shit out of me. My home theater system in and of itself entertains the shit out of me. I'm conscious of the fact that your generation and older ones didn't have home entertainment resources that I do, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I have them and didn't have to spend crap on them.

It may be that I and my generation are spoiled. But I recognize the privileges of the internet age and the home theater age, and I swear to God, not for a second do I take it for granted. This is where I have to admit though that 3 years ago I didn't know shit. Now, I feel that I do. Doesn't mean there isn't more to learn, but my passion is ultimately not for movies. My passion is for good movies.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 pm
Auteur

Personally I would never travel 30-40 miles just to see a movie as that seems like overkill to me, no matter how good the film sounds I prefer to wait until it comes out on DVD and/or Netflix.

Like Cook, i've seen quite a few films that i'm sure many people have never heard of, and I happen to enjoy several of them more then critically acclaimed films.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Personally I would never travel 30-40 miles just to see a movie as that seems like overkill to me, no matter how good the film sounds I prefer to wait until it comes out on DVD and/or Netflix.

Like Cook, i've seen quite a few films that i'm sure many people have never heard of, and I happen to enjoy several of them more then critically acclaimed films.

Last year, I did more than that. I have a friend who lives in Manhattan, and I wanted to see Zero Dark Thirty before the end of the year because with all the raves it got, putting together a Top 10 List without watching it just wouldn't feel right. So I spent a weekend in NYC to see the movie, then chill and watch football the next day. Totally worth it. :)

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:09 pm