Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 am

walked out of a movie. 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post walked out of a movie.
I have seen plenty of bad movies. Yes i often thought afterwards that i should have walked out. Personally i believe that i paid 9.50 for a movie ticket that means i should at least sit through the movie. I have gone to plenty of bathroom breaks considering i can't what is going on. Here are some movies that i wish i walked out on looking back.

1) Thumbelina: I was eight years old when this movie came out. So in essence i couldn't have done anything.
2) Dark Water: How many times can we copy the film "the ring" and get away with it.
3) Safe Haven: Bad Nicholas Sparks that shouldn't even be on Lifetime
4) Jarhead: The last act makes up for the first two acts which are unwatchable.
5) Movie 43: This is the one film where i seriously thought to myself why did i buy a ticket to this film.
6) Step brothers: Maybe the dug heap of Will Farrell's career
7) Semi Pro: See Step Brothers.
8) Epic Movie: Bad Parody
9) Greenberg: Basically a carbon copy of The Squid and the whale without the charm
10) Norbit: Oh what happened to Eddie Murphy's career
11) Season of the Witch: What happened to Nicholas Cage's career.

What films do you wish you walk out of. What is your stance of walking out.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:27 pm
Auteur

Post Re: walked out of a movie.
I've never had the urge to walk out of a film that I saw in theaters, there were a few that weren't quite as good as I thought they would be, but weren't bad films.

I enjoyed Movie 43, Jarhead, Step Brothers, Semi Pro, Epic Movie and Norbit(though I do wonder what on earth possessed you to buy a ticket for Epic Movie, did you lose a dare or something?)

Season of the Witch was pretty awful though, easily Cage's worst film of all time(even worse then the terrible Wicker Man remake).

Dark Water was a terrible remake of a superior foreign film, thankfully that trend seems to have finally died out.

Haven't seen Safe Haven, but it looks pretty damn awful.

Greenberg was very meh, the most memorable thing about it was the way it used a clip from the movie "Just My Luck".

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 pm
Director

Never walked out. Wouldn't ever consider doing it either, unless it was life or death or something. If you haven't stuck it out to the end, you can't factually say you have seen the movie - i.e. you have only seen SOME of the movie and therefore can't really form a COMPLETE opinion on it. Further, imo you can't truly appreciate a great film, if you don't have the knowledge of what a truly bad one is. I just take it all in stride. Except Martyrs - years later, I still wish I hadn't watched that.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 am
Director

I've walked out of a theater only once, for Wolf of Wall Street (ultimately caught the rest from a friend's screener a few days later).

But many times, I've started out watching something on my laptop and stopped before it was over. Sometimes because I thought it was terrible, but sometimes because I just didn't feel like finishing it that day. I watched the first half of Three Kings more than a year ago, liked it so far, just haven't gotten around to finishing yet. I dunno, for me it's just no big deal. Sure to have a "transcendent experience" or whatever, I suppose it's best to sit through it all at once, preferably on the biggest screen you can manage. But sometimes I just want to see what a movie is. Neil Jordan's The Crying Game, I watched casually in fragments. It didn't lessen the impact of the film.

But because theater-going costs money, if I think I might not like a movie, I generally wait for the convenience of home-viewing.

And some movies I just don't care about having a complete opinion on.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:36 am
Producer

2 films I've walked out of -

Jerry McGuire
- back in the 90s, when the Saturday evenings of Northern England were grimmer than grim, me and some school pals would sometimes dump ourselves at the movies. This was going nowhere, and nowhere slow, so we bailed out 80 minutes in.

Borat - The joke in this 100 minute culture-clash sketch was over in the first 3 minutes. I should have known, as it wasn't much of a fan of the channel 4 show it originated on (Ali G I think, which spawned an equally mistaken venture into the theatres).

Again, I was in a group. 10 minutes in, my mate says "fancy a pint and a game of pool instead". Need I say more about my response?

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:32 am
Producer

Aw, I love Jerry Maguire.

And Jarhead? Really? It's not my even close to being Sam Mendes' best IMO, but it's still a solid flick.

Borat was pretty funny as well.

Love Greenberg. Ben Stiller is actually quite excellent in the movie. Great performance. Greta Gerwig and Rhys Ifans are also terrific in it.

And I know I'm going to get laughed at this, but I actually found Safe Haven to be kind of touching. On paper, the twist at the end sounded awful, but I thought it played well. And I guess the movie had gotten to me at the time since I had not too long ago lost my mother.

Only once in my life I walked out and was able to get a ticket for another showing. It wasn't because the movie was bad, but rather I had foolishly tried to watch the movie even though I was extremely tired. About 10 minutes into the actual movie, I realized that there was no way I was going to make it through the movie without falling a sleep so I got up and was able to trade the ticket for a different showtime. The movie was Magnolia.

There was once where I was the only person in the theater, so I got up and walked around because the movie was so bad. It was a movie called Thicker Than Water. Also, while I ultimately didn't, the thought of walking out of the movie Simon Sez definitely came up several times since the movie was HORRENDOUS!

Another movie I got pretty restless with but managed to stay to the end was Whipped. Again, a truly terrible movie.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:02 am
Producer

I quite liked Jarhead too. It got a lot of stick for being a war film with no war in it. But it captures something else, the apathetic pointlessness of many military stints.

A brave subject to tackle.

I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for anyone who paid to watch Movie 43 or Epic Movie. What were you expecting?

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:16 am
Producer

Well I can sympathize with people with Movie 43. If you hadn't read any of the reviews and had just gone by the cast, you might be suckered into seeing it. I mean, there are a LOT of good actors in that movie. Some actors who are normally good at not doing bad movies.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:34 am
Cinematographer

I've turned quite a few off at home, but the only reason I've ever walked out of a movie was to remove my crying daughter so she wouldn't disturb others. She frightened easily as a younger girl and was terrified by the appearance of the mama T-Rex in Ice Age 3. We had to spend the remainder of the movie playing in the lobby while waiting for my wife and son to finish the movie. I wished I'd have walked out of The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover. I know a lot of people, including critics, love that film, but I was repulsed by it.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:23 am
Director

I've never walked out of a movie in a theater. I have turned off ones I've rented. Scary Movie 2 for instance. I rented that one because I liked the original. The second one was so godawful I couldn't get through it. Another one I turned off (20 minutes in) was Apollo 18.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:58 am
Director

It's been a long time. Last time I remember was something called RANDOM HEARTS. Starred Harrison Ford and Kristen Scott-Thomas. It started with a bogus central idea, that two people's spouses would die in an airplane crash while having an affair with each other, then the surviving widows would be attracted to each other as well. Movie was so dull, slow, and packed with pointless subplots that I walked out.

I also fell asleep for part of THE GOOD SHEPHERD. Never tried to re-watch it, and by most accounts I'm not missing anything.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 am
Producer

Peter Pan (the most recent live version)
Crazy/Beautiful
About Schmidt
Mothra (I was a small kid at the time and got the heebie-jeebies)

Also for movies I didn't pay for:
Amarcord (I may have to give that one another try since I get Fellini better now).
Some film that combined "found footage" from the silent era and was a crashing bore.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:17 pm
Assistant Director

I think I only walked out of a movie once, and it was mostly because of my peers. Went into Out of Sight with a bunch of 8-10 friends, and the back-and-forth, broken chronology was driving them crazy, so they decided to walk out and ask to go into another film. I would've stayed, but I was in the minority. Unfortunately, we walked into Six Days, Seven Nights. Meh, I guess that one was okay considering the kind of crowd I was with.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
I think I only walked out of a movie once, and it was mostly because of my peers. Went into Out of Sight with a bunch of 8-10 friends, and the back-and-forth, broken chronology was driving them crazy, so they decided to walk out and ask to go into another film. I would've stayed, but I was in the minority. Unfortunately, we walked into Six Days, Seven Nights. Meh, I guess that one was okay considering the kind of crowd I was with.

I enjoyed both films well enough, but I wouldn't have paid to see either of them in a theater.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:42 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
I've never walked out of a movie in a theater. I have turned off ones I've rented. Scary Movie 2 for instance. I rented that one because I liked the original. The second one was so godawful I couldn't get through it. Another one I turned off (20 minutes in) was Apollo 18.

I think you should finish Scary Movie 2, I thought it was almost as good as the first one and had some pretty hilarious bits(i'm guessing you'll really hate 3, 4 and 5 though, as they all received much worse reviews then part 2 did).

Apollo 18 wasn't the worst horror film I ever saw, I didn't despise it like I do for most "found-footage" films(a subgenre i'm truly getting sick and tired of), it had an interesting idea, it just didn't execute it very well.

Jarhead I can kind of understand since the trailer for that film was VERY misleading(it basically made it look like a war film, and now there's a direct-to-DVD sequel out might confuse people even more).

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:43 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Aw, I love Jerry Maguire.

And Jarhead? Really? It's not my even close to being Sam Mendes' best IMO, but it's still a solid flick.

Borat was pretty funny as well.

Love Greenberg. Ben Stiller is actually quite excellent in the movie. Great performance. Greta Gerwig and Rhys Ifans are also terrific in it.

And I know I'm going to get laughed at this, but I actually found Safe Haven to be kind of touching. On paper, the twist at the end sounded awful, but I thought it played well. And I guess the movie had gotten to me at the time since I had not too long ago lost my mother.

Only once in my life I walked out and was able to get a ticket for another showing. It wasn't because the movie was bad, but rather I had foolishly tried to watch the movie even though I was extremely tired. About 10 minutes into the actual movie, I realized that there was no way I was going to make it through the movie without falling a sleep so I got up and was able to trade the ticket for a different showtime. The movie was Magnolia.

There was once where I was the only person in the theater, so I got up and walked around because the movie was so bad. It was a movie called Thicker Than Water. Also, while I ultimately didn't, the thought of walking out of the movie Simon Sez definitely came up several times since the movie was HORRENDOUS!

Another movie I got pretty restless with but managed to stay to the end was Whipped. Again, a truly terrible movie.

Definitely disagree on Simon Sez and Whipped, I thought they were both pretty entertaining films.

One movie I wish I had never finished was Southland Tales, it was absolutely horrendous on every single level imaginable, all the actors looked embarassed to be in the film(and Dwayne Johnson has said it's one role he's not proud of) and the film was just a confusing fucking mess(here's a tip Richard Kelly, don't force your audience to read THREE goddamn prequel novels just so they can be able to understand what the fuck is going on).

There's also some really terrible PG-13 remakes of horror films that I wish I had never seen- One Missed Call(which the director has disowned), Shutter, The Eye, Prom Night, April Fools Day, When A Stranger Calls, Pulse, Uninvited.

Magnolia was kind of slow for me, didn't hate it but I don't think it would've killed Anderson to trim the film by 30 minutes or so.

Also kind of liked Thicker Then Water(you are talking about the film with Ice Cube right?)

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:52 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Also, while I ultimately didn't, the thought of walking out of the movie Simon Sez definitely came up several times since the movie was HORRENDOUS!

Because Simon didn't say to?

Simon says run don't walk out of the theater showing the godawful Simon Sez.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:16 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Also, while I ultimately didn't, the thought of walking out of the movie Simon Sez definitely came up several times since the movie was HORRENDOUS!

Because Simon didn't say to?

Simon says run don't walk out of the theater showing the godawful Simon Sez.

Simon Says give that movie a chance, but stay far away from found-footage films.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:22 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Simon Says give that movie a chance, but stay far away from found-footage films.

Agreed on the last part unless one counts End Of Watch as a found footage film and I don't. The only one of those that worked for me at one point was the original Blair Witch and that one hasn't held up.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 pm
Producer

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like Magnolia. I love it. It's still PTA's best film IMO. It's just I was really tired when I first tried to watch it. I left. A few days later I went back to see it and loved it.

Southland Tales is one of those movies that doesn't make a lick of sense, but I don't regret watching it. It's a mess but an entertaining mess.

I don't mind found footage movies when they are good. That said, it got in the way of enjoyment for End of Watch. Thought that was so-so. It was also a hindrance for Chronicle, though I still liked that movie. I've liked a lot of found footage movies. The granddaddy of them all being The Blair Witch Project. It's what really started this trend. Open Water was also excellent. Cloverfield was good. Haven't seen Apollo 18 so I can't comment on that one.

Of the PG-13 horror remakes mentioned I actually liked Pulse and The Eye. The others though range from mediocre to horrible.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:00 am