Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
calvero wrote:

I hope this is the last one. This is easily my most anticipated movie of the year, but I still want some mystery preserved.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
calvero wrote:

I hope this is the last one. This is easily my most anticipated movie of the year, but I still want some mystery preserved.

That trailer is pretty unbelievable. One of the best I can remember seeing.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm
Assistant Director

calvero wrote:

Looks like it might be pretty good. Trailer is a bit schmaltzy, like Armageddon - lots of teary eyed goodbyes, that's for sure. Plenty of potential though obviously, but I'm not fully sold on it based on that trailer.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 am
Director

Gedmud wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
calvero wrote:

That trailer is pretty unbelievable. One of the best I can remember seeing.

I'm just curious as to why you think it's THAT good? Everyone on the internet is saying that, so when I clicked the link to finally watch it myself, I was certainly expecting much more than what it turned out to be.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:46 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I'm just curious as to why you think it's THAT good? Everyone on the internet is saying that, so when I clicked the link to finally watch it myself, I was certainly expecting much more than what it turned out to be.

I thought it was just me. If the scenes on Earth exceed ~15 minutes, this thing won't play well for me. Looks like the sort of trailer they have for Independence Day, Armageddon, Signs.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 am
Auteur

Can't say the trailer really impressed me, the film looks very meh to me, even moreso then Inception, not sure if i'll even have the urge to see it on DVD.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:09 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Can't say the trailer really impressed me, the film looks very meh to me, even moreso then Inception, not sure if i'll even have the urge to see it on DVD.

Agreed, it looks boring, though it reminds me mostly of Contact. The father/daughter stuff does evoke Armageddon a tad, and the single dad family in the cornfields looks exactly like Signs. Also seems like the first two acts of the film are pretty much given away.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 am
Second Unit Director

It wasn't what I expected, and there was something mysterious about the entire thing to me. Like there is this giant unknown that the trailer isn't giving away, but still propels it forward. I'm more intrigued now than I was after the teaser, and Matthew McConaughey looks great, and I'm not his biggest fan. Don't know if that's a good answer to your question or not.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:40 am
Director

Quote:
there was something mysterious about the entire thing to me. Like there is this giant unknown that the trailer isn't giving away, but still propels it forward.

Well, I know what you mean. I get that feeling for a number of movies, sometimes lingering even after I've seen the whole thing.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
there was something mysterious about the entire thing to me. Like there is this giant unknown that the trailer isn't giving away, but still propels it forward.

Well, I know what you mean. I get that feeling for a number of movies, sometimes lingering even after I've seen the whole thing.

For sure, dude. I guess everyone feels differently about that kind of thing, but it's something that I look for. If a trailer has an overwhelming sense of ambiguity while at the same time seems to be showing a lot of the film, I think that's a really special thing. I'm drawn to ambiguity in general. I realize it would lose its affect if it happened all the time, but I'm almost always hoping for a lot of ambiguity in what I watch, probably to a fault if I'm being honest.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm
Director

Looks the role names on imdb of Chastain & Burstyn explain why they aren't in the trailer much

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:42 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
Looks the role names on imdb of Chastain & Burstyn explain why they aren't in the trailer much

Yeah, if you look at the imdb cast list, a big part of the movie is already spoiled.

The film may end up being decently made, but it looks to me very single-layered. With Nolan, you're meant to think and feel one thing at a time. In 2001: A Space Odyssey, the mystery comes from there being many layers of stuff going on all at once, some of which require scrutiny to even notice.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Agreed, it looks boring, though it reminds me mostly of Contact. The father/daughter stuff does evoke Armageddon a tad, and the single dad family in the cornfields looks exactly like Signs. Also seems like the first two acts of the film are pretty much given away.

A GREAT thing for me since that movie is one of my favorite movies of all time.

This movie looks like it could be on that level. Trailer was wonderfully mysterious, incredibly emotional and visually beautiful. Definitely my most anticipated film of 2014. Nolan seems to hit it out of the park yet again, for the billionth time. He's just on such a roll. Ditto for McConaughey. And the cast is just too great. Hathaway, Chastain, Caine, etc.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:23 am
Director

Good trailer, although the blatantly corny (at least within the context of the trailer) "transcends space and time" made me laugh. Reminding me of "the real ... was love" memes.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:35 am
Director

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Batman v Superman moves to March 2016 to avoid showdown with Cap 3.

http://thedissolve.com/news/2912-batman ... ign=buffer

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Steven wrote:
Batman v Superman moves to March 2016 to avoid showdown with Cap 3.

http://thedissolve.com/news/2912-batman ... ign=buffer

Cool! and as far as I am concerned WB can keep bringing it sooner ;)

Hope that any of those 2017 dates are the Justice League too :mrgreen:

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Director

hmm, this is rather late in the game to postpone.

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Green Inferno, the Eli Roth-directed film about student activists who travel from Gotham to save the Amazon rainforest only to be pursued by a cannibal tribe, has been taken off Open Road’s release calendar. The film was scheduled for wide release on September 5. I’m told this happened because financier Worldview Entertainment is balking at ex-CEO Christopher Woodrow’s commitment to provide the P&A.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/worldvi ... -off-menu/

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:26 pm
Director

trailer for Jason Reitman's 'Men, Women, & Children'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_lKig3toQ

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:13 pm
Second Unit Director

If you aren't going to see A Dame to Kill For, you can check out The Hateful Eight teaser here before it gets taken down.

http://thedissolve.com/news/3046-the-in ... ign=buffer

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next