Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
Vexer wrote:
I don't really see Lee being capable of doing science-fiction either, I just think he's a more "artsy" director and I just don't see his style meshing well with Star Wars at all, it certainly didn't work in "Hulk".

Agree that Hulk wasn't a very good fit for Lee. But I think an action/drama director might add something extra that SW deserves (and Lucas evidently couldn't bring with his atrocious prequels (I know you liked them!)). Peter Jackson or Spielberg would be other directors worth considering and certainly would be better than what they have hired so far.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:05 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I don't really see Lee being capable of doing science-fiction either, I just think he's a more "artsy" director and I just don't see his style meshing well with Star Wars at all, it certainly didn't work in "Hulk".

Agree that Hulk wasn't a very good fit for Lee. But I think an action/drama director might add something extra that SW deserves (and Lucas evidently couldn't bring with his atrocious prequels (I know you liked them!)). Peter Jackson or Spielberg would be other directors worth considering and certainly would be better than what they have hired so far.

Well I thought Lucas brought it in very well with the prequels and I just think Johnson is a much better choice then Lee would ever be(though Johnson's not my first choice either, i'd personally lean more towards someone like Len Wiseman, Paul W.S. Anderson, McG or Luc Besson).

I think Jackson's lost his edge as a director, I know a number of people who were really let down by the Hobbit films, so i'm not so sure he's the right person for Star Wars(and I can't picture him wanting to direct something like that anyways), Spielberg i'd be fine with, but i'm not so sure he would want to.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:09 am
Director

If one of the new Star Wars films is going to be more like Empire, then Ang Lee would be perfect. He has always managed to balance the philosophical with traditional narrative. I think Hulk is a good example of this. It bombed because audiences were expecting a big stupid action film and Lee delivered something a bit more nuanced. This isn't to say that it was a total success, but I admire the film for trying to be something a little more that a forgettable summer film.

As for Johnson, I'm interested in what he can do with Star Wars. His filmography is short but impressive: Brick is an interesting little film, and Looper does try to be more than your typical sci-fi film, which I admire (even though I think it's a little overpraised). Johnson also directed two of the best episodes of Breaking Bad, "Fly" and "Ozymandias."

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 am
Auteur

Hulk just felt like it was trying to force a square peg into a round hole so to speak, "different" dosen't always mean "better" and this was definitely the case here, I prefer a film that isn't ashamed of what it is versus a film that tries to be something it's clearly not.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:08 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Hulk just felt like it was trying to force a square peg into a round hole so to speak, "different" dosen't always mean "better" and this was definitely the case here, I prefer a film that isn't ashamed of what it is versus a film that tries to be something it's clearly not.

I'd love to see one of those directors you mentioned do a justice league spinoff film. Personally I'm more interested in those than I am in Star Wars no matter who directs what.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:55 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Well I thought Lucas brought it in very well with the prequels

Out of interest how would you rank the 6 SW films so far?

For me, it's Empire, New Hope, Jedi, Sith, Menace, Clones.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:22 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well I thought Lucas brought it in very well with the prequels

Out of interest how would you rank the 6 SW films so far?

For me, it's Empire, New Hope, Jedi, Sith, Menace, Clones.

I'd rank them as follows: III, V, II I, IV and VII

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:48 pm
Producer

Definitely agree that Sith deserves a top spot, though I'd probably put it 2nd behind Empire. Despite being heavily flawed, Sith makes good on most of its dramatic promises.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:58 pm
Second Unit Director

This SW rankings business is interesting to me because Star Wars played a huge role in my childhood. Looking at it nostalgically (which I think is the most powerful factor for me now) my rankings would go: Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menace. I'm interested to see others.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:26 pm
Director

Mine are....

Empire
Sith
A New Hope
Clones
Phantom Menace
Jedi

ROTJ benefits from being watched sixth rather than third because A) we see the full circle of the emperor's philosophy, where he'll off his current apprentice as soon as he gets a chance to acquire a younger one, and B) the Luke - Leia relationship doesn't feel like such a cop-out. However, it suffers even more with regard to the Ewoks. It is simply not credible that an Empire squadron would fall to these guys.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:41 pm
Director

My rankings:
Empire (will likely never be topped)
Hope
Sith (though it can rival Hope on a good day for me)
[tie] Jedi and Clones (these two consistently leapfrog each other in my mind)
Menace (albeit only slightly behind the above 2)

KWRoss wrote:
ROTJ benefits from being watched sixth rather than third because A) we see the full circle of the emperor's philosophy, where he'll off his current apprentice as soon as he gets a chance to acquire a younger one, and B) the Luke - Leia relationship doesn't feel like such a cop-out. However, it suffers even more with regard to the Ewoks. It is simply not credible that an Empire squadron would fall to these guys.

I totally agree. I get the impression the whole 'Leia is Luke's twin sister' revelation is far more startling when first heard about at the end of "Sith." Plus, I feel viewing it last gives also much more resonance to both Yoda's death and Vader/Anakin's redemption. I'm a strong advocate of the viewing order of I-IV-II-V-III-VI for first-time viewing of these movies; selling it as a parallel story of a father and son and how they impacted the galaxy. The big 'I am your father' revelation remains intact, though, because we'll be led to believe that Anakin will die (after the Luke/Obi-Wan exchange in "Hope"), the reading goes from being 'OMG, Vader is Luke's father!' to 'OMG, Vader is actually Anakin!' All subsequent viewings should be in numerical order, though, because, after all, you know all the spoilers at that point. :P We'll see how this new trilogy plays into the first two.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:06 pm
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I'm a strong advocate of the viewing order of I-IV-II-V-III-VI for first-time viewing of these movies; selling it as a parallel story of a father and son and how they impacted the galaxy. The big 'I am your father' revelation remains intact, though, because we'll be led to believe that Anakin will die (after the Luke/Obi-Wan exchange in "Hope"), the reading goes from being 'OMG, Vader is Luke's father!' to 'OMG, Vader is actually Anakin!' All subsequent viewings should be in numerical order, though, because, after all, you know all the spoilers at that point. :P We'll see how this new trilogy plays into the first two.

That's pretty interesting. I think I'd agree with you - although that is with the benefit of hindsight. Is there any feedback from first time viewers that have actually done this?

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:30 pm
Director

Empire
Sith
New Hope
Jedi
Phantom Menace
Clones

Some days I veer in my preference between the grand tragedy of Sith and the fresh rush of discovering a new world in New Hope, but I think mostly it's the former. I enjoyed Phantom Menace and Clones but they have some childish sensibilities that don't make me put them over the darker Jedi (yes, I'm saying that despite those damn Ewoks).

Gedmud, your ranking is very unique, whether among those who loath the prequels or others who don't.

And I'm gonna have to try H.I. McDonough's approach the next time I watch these films. Very interesting!

Last edited by peng on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:58 pm
Producer

My order and I realize my top spot is a rather controversial choice but I don't care.

Phantom Menace
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Empire Strikes Back
Attack of the Clones
Return of the Jedi

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:58 pm
Cinematographer

From best to worst:

The Empire Strike Back
A New Hope
Return Of The Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack Of The Clones
Revenge Of The Sith

I can't get behind the sentiment that any of the prequel films hold a candle to the ones in the original trilogy, even the comparatively weaker Jedi.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Interesting, my ranking is identical to KWRoss's. But I think Sith is made great largely by Ian McDiarmid.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:23 am
Second Unit Director

My list:

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

I often flip-flop between Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith for the three spot. Both are excellent, Jedi on a more of a personal level to me because of the nostalgia it carries.

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I'm a strong advocate of the viewing order of I-IV-II-V-III-VI for first-time viewing of these movies; selling it as a parallel story of a father and son and how they impacted the galaxy.

I'm also a big fan of a revised order called Machete Order. The viewing order is IV-V-I-II-III-VI with the option of removing Phantom Menace. (Thus the name 'Machete') You can read about it here. http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Director

First Hunger Games 3.1 teaser in the form of propaganda ad.

Hmmm, between the three finger salute and this faux ad that will make some higher up people touchy, I wonder if the film will pass the Thai junta over here (the whole third book material too). Nicely done marketing either way.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 pm
Director

Pacific Rim 2 announced. didn't see that coming.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:32 pm
Second Unit Director

I just kinda lost my shit over the new Foxcatcher trailer. Looks incredible. Might be my most anticipated of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3O6jT78-Q

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next