Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next
General Movie News 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: General Movie News
Yes Man was the worst superhero movie. The guy barely fights any crime; it's really just him saying yes to more and more ridiculous situations.

I think it all stems from the fact that he has a really lame superpower.

Ant Man, who (as we all know) has the super power of being made entirely of ants, should be a much more interesting story though. I predict most of the film’s running time will be dedicated to him creating his own deep underground ant colony to live in, with a romantic subplot where he finds scraps of food to bring back to his beloved queen, played by Zooey Deschanel.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:04 am
Producer

AJR wrote:
Yes Man was the worst superhero movie.

That might be because it's not a superhero movie. :?:

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:33 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I’d say my top five superhero movies would be:

Cinderella Man
Encino Man
Bicentennial Man
A Serious Man
Pretty Woman

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:21 am
Producer

Well don't forget such gems as:

Delivery Man
The Running Man
The Monuments Men
The Answer Man
The Bag Man
The Best Man
Children of Men
No Country for Old Men
Soul Men
Solitary Man

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:55 am
Second Unit Director

ha ha, very good AJR and ilovemovies. I'm trying to imagine "Serious Man" as a superhero. His catchphrase could be "Take it seriously".

By the way, my favourite superhero movie is 'Dead Man'.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:29 am
Director

Quote:
Jupiter Ascending pushed back to 2015:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ped-709184

Dam, I was actually looking forward to this despite the awful marketing.

more on this https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-inside ... 24132.html

Quote:
The decision to shift the film’s prime July 18 release date to February 2015 was prompted by weak response to a research screening in late April and the fact that the visual effects, on which the futuristic thriller heavily relies, were incomplete.

how are the Wachowskis still able to get these huge budgets? Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer were duds.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:35 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Jupiter Ascending pushed back to 2015:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ped-709184

Dam, I was actually looking forward to this despite the awful marketing.

more on this https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-inside ... 24132.html

Quote:
The decision to shift the film’s prime July 18 release date to February 2015 was prompted by weak response to a research screening in late April and the fact that the visual effects, on which the futuristic thriller heavily relies, were incomplete.

how are the Wachowskis still able to get these huge budgets? Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer were duds.

I don't know, I guess some execs still believe they have it in them to make another success like the Matrix.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm
Director

calvero wrote:

The same reason M. Night Shyamalan still can, I imagine (whatever that reason is). :P "Cloud Atlas" was at least an artistic success, though, as far as I'm concerned.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:46 pm
Producer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
calvero wrote:

The same reason M. Night Shyamalan still can, I imagine (whatever that reason is). :P "Cloud Atlas" was at least an artistic success, though, as far as I'm concerned.

Right. The reason is that the Shyamalan and Wachowski hypes were extremely high at their peaks. Even though it's been a while, they can still retain a shrivel of their old reputations because there are always producers in Hollywood who want to benefit just in case they end up having some sort of comeback. It depends mostly on how BIG a hit their biggest hit was. I think that carries more weight than the actual number of hits. So if you make Taken, you should easily get another couple directing jobs afterward, but if those flop, you'll start to have a harder time. But if you make Jaws, you should easily continue to get work for decades unless you start losing obscene amounts of money every single time. I'd say the Wachowskis have another chance or two before they're in trouble.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:31 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:

Right. The reason is that the Shyamalan and Wachowski hypes were extremely high at their peaks. Even though it's been a while, they can still retain a shrivel of their old reputations because there are always producers in Hollywood who want to benefit just in case they end up having some sort of comeback. It depends mostly on how BIG a hit their biggest hit was. I think that carries more weight than the actual number of hits. So if you make Taken, you should easily get another couple directing jobs afterward, but if those flop, you'll start to have a harder time. But if you make Jaws, you should easily continue to get work for decades unless you start losing obscene amounts of money every single time. I'd say the Wachowskis have another chance or two before they're in trouble.

You could also arque that the same thing applies to Kevin Costner.
People will always associate him with Dances with Wolves. So no matter how many Waterword's and Postman's he makes he will always be allowed to direct.

One could also also argue that the Roman Polanski and Mel Gibson also get to direct vene though their npersonal lives leave an awful lot to be desired.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 am
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
peng wrote:
Banned Sin City 2 poster:

My reaction....

Yeah, my reaction to that poster didn't involve facial expressions.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:58 pm
Second Unit Director

So here's some massively cool news guys. Color me very excited.

http://thedissolve.com/news/2536-rian-j ... star-wars/

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Steven wrote:

Hell yes!

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:42 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:
Steven wrote:

Hell yes!

While I'm not as huge a fan of Rian Johnson as many others seem to be so far (all 3 of his films so far are very 'solid,' with "Looper" a but on the overrated side), though his technical side is second to none. And I'm assuming he'll be merely adapting Lucas' trilogy story, so this can't be bad news by any means.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:27 pm
Producer

I'm a bigger fan of JJ Abrams' than I am Rian Johnson, but I do like Johnson. Although I didn't like Brick, I absolutely loved Looper. Not to mention he also directed what I think is, by far, the best episode of Breaking Bad, "Ozymandias."

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:35 pm
Producer

Quote:
though his technical side is second to none

It's second to many. He underexposes his shots and doesn't get the camera moving that much.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:49 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
I'm a bigger fan of JJ Abrams' than I am Rian Johnson, but I do like Johnson. Although I didn't like Brick, I absolutely loved Looper. Not to mention he also directed what I think is, by far, the best episode of Breaking Bad, "Ozymandias."

Not a fan of either, but I'd take Rian over JJ any day. Personally, I'd prefer someone like Ang Lee to direct one of these.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:02 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Not a fan of either, but I'd take Rian over JJ any day. Personally, I'd prefer someone like Ang Lee to direct one of these.

Not me, I don't think Lee's much of an action director, "Hulk" was rather mediocre and I can't imagine him doing much better with Star Wars, I say leave it to Johnson.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:12 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Not me, I don't think Lee's much of an action director, "Hulk" was rather mediocre and I can't imagine him doing much better with Star Wars, I say leave it to Johnson.

Star Wars is more than just action. Take Empire (imo the best SW film of all) for example - the entire Yoda sequence (which is a decent chunk of the film) has no real action. Not much action happens in Cloud City either, other than a light saber fight. A more nuanced director like Ang Lee could really add something "extra" beyond what a typical Hollywood action blockbuster would bring to the table. BTW, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon has well directed action scenes for what it's worth.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:03 am
Auteur

I don't really see Lee being capable of doing science-fiction either, I just think he's a more "artsy" director and I just don't see his style meshing well with Star Wars at all, it certainly didn't work in "Hulk".

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:08 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next