Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:54 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 45  Next
General Movie News 
Author Message
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4022
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
Why was that banned? I fail to see what's so "offensive" about it, I do remember there were several posters for the movie "Captivity" that were banned when it came out.


Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1452
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
The MPAA reasoning is pretty funny in its detailed-ness: “for nudity — curve of under breast and dark nipple/areola circle visible through sheer gown.”


Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4022
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
The MPAA reasoning is pretty funny in its detailed-ness: “for nudity — curve of under breast and dark nipple/areola circle visible through sheer gown.”

Now that's hilarious! :lol:


Fri May 30, 2014 1:14 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1196
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
Banned Sin City 2 poster:

Image


My reaction....


Attachments:
Q.png
Q.png [ 129.35 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5
Fri May 30, 2014 1:50 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2025
Post Re: General Movie News
Just want to put in my two cents regarding Ant-Man. Like everyone, I'm sad to see Wright go and wonder what film he will make next instead. I can only imagine that Kevin Feige was afraid that a Scott Pilgrim craziness couldn't be integrated into the "MCU"? Ah, well.


Fri May 30, 2014 2:08 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4022
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
Just want to put in my two cents regarding Ant-Man. Like everyone, I'm sad to see Wright go and wonder what film he will make next instead. I can only imagine that Kevin Feige was afraid that a Scott Pilgrim craziness couldn't be integrated into the "MCU"? Ah, well.

I'm dissapointed to see him go as well, but i'm still interested in seeing Ant-Man nonetheless.


Fri May 30, 2014 2:50 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
The MPAA reasoning is pretty funny in its detailed-ness: “for nudity — curve of under breast and dark nipple/areola circle visible through sheer gown.”

Balderdash. I know a digitally blurred nipple when I see one.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri May 30, 2014 2:51 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 150
Location: New York
Post Re: General Movie News
Overall I think the whole ban is stupid, but if you don't want kids seeing that when they walk in a theater, then why not at least allow it as a red band poster to be used to advertise online? So dumb.


Fri May 30, 2014 3:16 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 150
Location: New York
Post Re: General Movie News
Jupiter Ascending pushed back to 2015:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wachowskis-jupiter-ascending-abruptly-bumped-709184

Dam, I was actually looking forward to this despite the awful marketing.


Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4022
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
That's surprising considering it was only six weeks away from release, though I did hear that the tracking was not looking good, and going up against Dawn Of The Apes and Guardians Of The Galaxy it most likely would've bombed big time, so February is probably a safer bet at this point.


Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1196
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: General Movie News
Vexer wrote:
That's surprising considering it was only six weeks away from release, though I did hear that the tracking was not looking good, and going up against Dawn Of The Apes and Guardians Of The Galaxy it most likely would've bombed big time, so February is probably a safer bet at this point.


And as THE LEGO MOVIE proved, you can make good money in February with little-to-no compeition. And you can certainly exhibit more staying power. This summer is so crowded as is that every box office winner (ASM2, Neighbors, Godzilla, X-Men, etc.), no matter how many raves it gets, drops like an anchor the second weekend and most people forget about it because the next hot property debuts.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:31 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1452
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Image


Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 737
Post Re: General Movie News
KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:
That's surprising considering it was only six weeks away from release, though I did hear that the tracking was not looking good, and going up against Dawn Of The Apes and Guardians Of The Galaxy it most likely would've bombed big time, so February is probably a safer bet at this point.


And as THE LEGO MOVIE proved, you can make good money in February with little-to-no compeition. And you can certainly exhibit more staying power. This summer is so crowded as is that every box office winner (ASM2, Neighbors, Godzilla, X-Men, etc.), no matter how many raves it gets, drops like an anchor the second weekend and most people forget about it because the next hot property debuts.


Agreed, to an extent. The Lego Movie was a kid's movie that worked well for adults too. It terms of an audience, it had fairly broad appeal. I'm not so sure Jupiter Ascending, a sci-fi action movie, has that. Regardless of quality, Vexer is probably right - it was going to bomb. February probably gives it a better chance to get more of an audience, but it's also traditionally a dumping ground for studios and the move signals they don't have much confidence in the film.

It's sort of the same thing that happened with Clooney's Monuments Men. It was slotted as a prime Oscar candidate, then moved to early in the year. If the studio truly had faith in a potential Oscar candidate, it likely would have gotten the same treatment as Bennett Miller's Foxcather and been moved back an entire year in order to still compete for Oscars. I think the same sort of logic applies here, just to summer blockbusters rather than Oscars.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the movie and will be hoping it goes the same way as The Lego Movie.


Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:16 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1452
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Quote:
“Oh, my God, I heard about that,” Eva Green said of the uproar. “I find it a bit odd. It seems like it’s all just publicity—a lot of noise for nothing. You have so many more violent things in the movie business and this is kind of soft. I’m not naked. It’s suggested. I find it really sexy, actually. It’s kind of beautiful. But if it shocks people, I don’t know what to do about it. I don’t want to upset anybody."


Source

And the MPAA gets even funnier:

Image


Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:31 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1350
Post Re: General Movie News
TOTALLY different! :lol:


Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:19 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: General Movie News
Yeah that sort of censorship BS wouldn't fly in Europe. Or here in New Zealand for that matter.
Every four-letter word under the sun and full frontal nudity are on free-to-air TV here, with only a disclaimer at the beginning alerting viewers to what they might see. The US really should just get over it already - everyone else has (except the Middle East etc).


Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:44 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2025
Post Re: General Movie News
Peyton Reed to direct Ant-Man (Bring it On, Yes Man), Adam McKay to write. Funny that Marvel hires the director of Yes Man, since that's what they want.

Both of these guys have worked in comedy, not action. Marvel seems to be going for a Galaxy Quest type of campy action/comedy. It was my least favorite type of movie when I was 8 years old. Still is now. Like Transformers meets Osmosis Jones.


Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4022
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
Peyton Reed to direct Ant-Man (Bring it On, Yes Man), Adam McKay to write. Funny that Marvel hires the director of Yes Man, since that's what they want.

Both of these guys have worked in comedy, not action. Marvel seems to be going for a Galaxy Quest type of campy action/comedy. It was my least favorite type of movie when I was 8 years old. Still is now. Like Transformers meets Osmosis Jones.

I enjoyed those movies so i'm pretty sure i'll enjoy Ant Man as well.


Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:15 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 818
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
Peyton Reed to direct Ant-Man (Bring it On, Yes Man), Adam McKay to write. Funny that Marvel hires the director of Yes Man, since that's what they want.

Both of these guys have worked in comedy, not action. Marvel seems to be going for a Galaxy Quest type of campy action/comedy. It was my least favorite type of movie when I was 8 years old. Still is now. Like Transformers meets Osmosis Jones.


I'm tired of superhero movies, and a movie with a superhero named "Ant-Man" sounds incredibly lame...even if it is a comedy.

Haven't seen "Yes Man," but after seeing some of his movies, the name Adam McKay means STAY AWAY!

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4022
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
moviemkr7 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Peyton Reed to direct Ant-Man (Bring it On, Yes Man), Adam McKay to write. Funny that Marvel hires the director of Yes Man, since that's what they want.

Both of these guys have worked in comedy, not action. Marvel seems to be going for a Galaxy Quest type of campy action/comedy. It was my least favorite type of movie when I was 8 years old. Still is now. Like Transformers meets Osmosis Jones.


I'm tired of superhero movies, and a movie with a superhero named "Ant-Man" sounds incredibly lame...even if it is a comedy.

Haven't seen "Yes Man," but after seeing some of his movies, the name Adam McKay means STAY AWAY!

I would definitely recommend checking out Yes Man.


Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 45  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Syd Henderson and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr