Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
Settling isn't an admission of guilt. It's an admission of "I'm tired of this and don't feel like dealing with it anymore." That's all. And in the case of an extremely wealthy person, it makes sense.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 am
Second Unit Director

Not even necessarily extremely wealthy. If you can afford the settlement it may very well be worth it. Besides the stress and scrutiny, sometimes a trial is more expensive due to lawyer fees, having to take leave from work, etc.

But back OT: I'm not super excited about this summer relative to last year but Captain America was a great starter. I'll see X-Men for sure regardless of the news about Singer. Nothing else really has me excited. Anything I see will be based on reviews.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:51 am
Auteur

Aside from X-Men and Amazing SpiderMan 2, i'm also excited to see "November Man".

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:53 am
Director

Godzilla looks pretty damn cool so far. Looks to me like a more well-balanced spectacle than X-Men, which looks messier. Has a good chance to become a sleeper hit.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 am
Assistant Director

X-Men has been my most anticipated movie of the summer ever since that post-credits teaser from THE WOLVERINE, but I'll admit GODZILLA is starting to grow on me. Based on the ads alone, the cinematography in this looks awe-inspiring. And from what I can tell, they appear to be following the JAWS/ALIEN/CLOVERFIELD rule with regards to the monster.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am
Producer

This is actually looking like a great summer IMO. I always get excited about a lot of the big summer movies, but I also always love the smaller movies that come out in the summer as well and my most anticipated list reflects that.

My 20 Most Anticipated Movies of the summer of 2014:

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. Edge of Tomorrow
3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
4. Jupiter Ascending
5. Chef
6. Lucy
7. Neighbors
8. Jane Got a Gun
9. The Fault in Our Stars
10. Begin Again

11. I Origins
12. A Most Wanted Man
13. The Signal
14. The Expendables 3
15. Into the Storm
16. The Giver
17. 22 Jump Street
18. The Purge: Anarchy
19. The Angriest Man in Brooklyn
20. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Honorable mentions goes to: Boyhood, Jersey Boys, November Man, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Third Person, And So It Goes, If I Stay and Let's Be Cops.

Last edited by ilovemovies on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:32 pm
Director

run time on Godzilla is 123 mins https://twitter.com/thefilmstage/status ... 0928184320

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 pm
Producer

I'm looking forward to TFIOS. John Green's a cool chap.

That's probably about it.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm
Director

Quote:
Garth Ancier, David Neuman and Gary Goddard have been named as defendants in three more lawsuits brought by Michael Egan, the former model and actor who last week filed a separate suit accusing “X-Men” director Bryan Singer of sexual abuse when he was a minor.

The three men named in the lawsuits have long histories in the entertainment industry. Ancier is a television executive who formerly ran programming at Fox, the WB, and BBC Worldwide America. Neuman is former V.P. of comedy development at NBC, and Goddard is a Broadway producer.

The additional lawsuits, all filed by lawyer Jeff Herman in U.S. District Court in Hawaii, build a picture of an alleged Hollywood sex ring targeting underage boys, of which Egan says he was a victim in the late 1990s.

http://www.thewrap.com/hollywood-execs- ... e-lawsuits

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:48 pm
Second Unit Director

I wouldn't be surprised if I do see Godzilla, if for no other reason than feeling like going to the movies in May, but if it gets bad reviews then probably not. It's a Godzilla movie after all, it probably won't surprise or blow anyone's socks off. Godzilla has always provided solid entertainment, but great movies? Not so much.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 am
Producer

I wish I was more excited about Godzilla than I am. I like the director's previous movie, Monsters. I thought what he was able to accomplish with such a tiny budget was quite astonishing. It's such a great looking movie. I would love to see what he can accomplish with a blockbuster sized budget. Unfortunately, he chose a Godzilla movie as his next project. The cast is also pretty solid too. And the trailers have been OKAY. But you know what? The trailers for Pacific Rim were kind of cool too and that movie ended up being so-so. While, I'm sure this will be better than the 1998 version, I just don't see this being all that good. It'll probably end up being so-so just like Pacific Rim.

I just hope this movie doesn't do what Pacific Rim did that annoyed me so much: have nearly all of the action take place in or under water and at night. Also, don't have most of the action be in close ups. The best parts of the fights in Pacific Rim was when there were wide shots. Unfortunately, most of the time they were in close up shots.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 am
Auteur

I didn't care all that much for "Monsters", it was a good idea but for me the execution fell kind of flat. Godzilla looks good, but it's not exactly at the top of my list. I actually quite enjoyed the 1998 film, I had fun with it, i'm actually not so sure if the 2014 film will be more enjoyable then that one.

I agree with you on Pacific Rim, it was decent but the action scenes overall lacked imagination(plus those two comic-relief scientists were more annoying then funny). Say what you will about the Transformers films, but the action scenes in those films were much more creative and inspired then anything in Pacific Rim.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:23 am
Director

The 1998 film really wasn't Godzilla though. Not in the canonical sense. The design for the monster was just too far removed from Godzilla. But this reboot looks like the genuine original. Giant monsters battling each other...not necessarily the most exciting thing. But the sense of dread conveyed by a good monster movie or disaster movie...for me, popcorn flicks don't get much better. I'm hoping this new movie is more in line with War of the Worlds and The Mist.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:05 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
The 1998 film really wasn't Godzilla though. Not in the canonical sense. The design for the monster was just too far removed from Godzilla. But this reboot looks like the genuine original. Giant monsters battling each other...not necessarily the most exciting thing. But the sense of dread conveyed by a good monster movie or disaster movie...for me, popcorn flicks don't get much better. I'm hoping this new movie is more in line with War of the Worlds and The Mist.

Well the 1998 film was my first exposure to Godzilla, so I really had nothing to compare to, so I didn't really see a problem with the design.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:37 am
Producer

If this had come out when I was 6, I might've been more excited. I remember loving King Kong Vs Godzilla as a kid. Now, Godzilla just doesn't interest me anymore.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:51 am
Auteur

I'm more of a casual Godzilla fan, i've only seen a few of the movies so far and they've been just OK for the most part. My biggest concern is that the new film will be too serious for it's own good.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 am
Producer

I like the 1998 Godzillla. Even Mathew Broderick's geekiness is well exploited to an extent.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 am
Director

This somehow cracked me up when I was walking by (the yellow tape said "follow me" btw). They probably just plucked the store mannequin from one floor down.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:01 am
Director

Quote:
Peter Jackson, director of the “Hobbit” movie franchise, announced on his Facebook page Thursday morning that the third and final “Hobbit” movie has a new name.

Originally titled “There and Back Again,” Jackson wrote that the new name will be “Battle of the Five Armies.” Rumors of a name change have been circulating for the past week, sparked when fan site TheOneRing.net reported that New Line had registered the name “The Hobbit: Into the Fire.”

The franchise’s studio Warner Bros. confirmed the change.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/final ... 201163010/

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:23 pm
Director

Quote:
8. Jane Got a Gun

being moved to February 20, 2015

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:03 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next