Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 39  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
'X-Men’ Director Bryan Singer Sexual Assault Allegations
http://www.thewrap.com/bryan-singer-und ... -documents

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 pm
Producer

calvero wrote:

Guh. God, I hope this isn't true, for so many reasons.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:03 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
calvero wrote:

I think it's totally bogus, it makes no sense for the victim to have waited this long to file a lawsuit if he truly was sexually abused, so i'm not buying it.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
calvero wrote:

I think it's totally bogus, it makes no sense for the victim to have waited this long to file a lawsuit if he truly was sexually abused, so i'm not buying it.

There have been many cases throughout history where sexual abuse victims, out of a sense of shame or for fear of social stigma, have kept silent about their abuse. I have a friend-of-a-friend who had been raped by a man she met online and she kept that fact to herself for years.

Of course, given Bryan Singer's fame, I'm personally skeptical of the allegations that have been made. At the same time, we shouldn't dismiss the possibility just yet that the allegations are in fact true.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:11 pm
Auteur

The timing just seems way too convenient if you ask me, coming out with these allegations right before Days Of Future Past opens strikes me as very suspicious. I personally think those claims are baseless and utter nonsense, i'm looking at this the same way as all those ridiculous claims about Michael Jackson being a child molester.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but in this case these allegations smells very fishy to me.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 pm
Director

Whether these allegations are true or not, its well known in the business that Singer really likes young boys. Gay or straight, the casting couch has been around forever.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thelostboy/r ... gay_soiree

Here are more details on the current suit, some pretty disturbing stuff http://www.thewrap.com/bryan-singer-acc ... derage-boy

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 pm
Director

That article is indeed pretty disturbing and frankly believable. Whether it's true or not, things like that do happen in Hollywood on both a gay and straight level. The infamous "parties."

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:24 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
That article is indeed pretty disturbing and frankly believable. Whether it's true or not, things like that do happen in Hollywood on both a gay and straight level. The infamous "parties."

I'm sure they do, but that's still hardly a reason to presume guilt. Another thing about this that's suspicious is that it was a civil charge and not a criminal one, which makes me think this is nothing more then a blatant attempt to blackmail Singer for money.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:30 pm
Director

Well...on another note, I think Marvel is starting to take a few lessons from Paul W.S. Anderson, hated though he may be :? .

Some of the action in Cap Am 2 definitely takes something from Resident Evil's geometric set pieces. And this clip from Amazing Spidey 2 is lifted directly from a device used in the opening act of RE4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVr9j6_tgY

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
I'm sure they do, but that's still hardly a reason to presume guilt. Another thing about this that's suspicious is that it was a civil charge and not a criminal one, which makes me think this is nothing more then a blatant attempt to blackmail Singer for money.

Or that there's a legal reason why he has to file now. Which there is.

The thing about it being close to the release date of a film is that most working filmmakers have something in the pipeline at any given time, and a lawsuit is bound to coincide with whatever project looms closest. In this case, suspicion about the timing of the suit is the result of confirmation bias.

What makes me feel so ill at ease about this is there are so many creepy details in Singer's background--more so than in, say, Michael Jackson's background--that lend plausibility to the accusations*. And we will probably never know if it's true or not, given that there can be no criminal case. You don't even have to presume Singer's guilt to feel icky about ever enjoying his work again.

So far, the only decent reporting I've seen on this is at the AV Club.

-

*In addition to the built-in plausibility of rape allegations in general. Contrary to popular belief, false allegations are not common at all. Rich, influential people abusing their power is unfortunately very common.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 pm
Auteur

Singer's background may be bizarre, but nevertheless i'm still not inclined to crucify him over the accusations just yet, and we still can't completely discount the possiblity that this is about financial blackmail, if it was about something more, you'd think the charges filed would've been criminal and not civil.

I don't personally feel "icky" about enjoying his films at all.

What about Roman Polanski or Woody Allen? Do you feel icky watching their films?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Singer's background may be bizarre, but nevertheless i'm still not inclined to crucify him over the accusations just yet, and we still can't completely discount the possiblity that this is about financial blackmail, if it was about something more, you'd think the charges filed would've been criminal and not civil.
You can't just press criminal charges whenever you want. There are statutes of limitations. Also, nothing I said is anywhere in the neighborhood of "crucifying" him.

Vexer wrote:
I don't personally feel "icky" about enjoying his films at all.

What about Roman Polanski or Woody Allen? Do you feel icky watching their films?

Yup. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. I decided a while ago that I'm done with Polanski, and while Allen has neither confessed to anything nor been successfully prosecuted, his public statements on the matter are disgusting enough to cost him whatever respect I might have had for him. They speak very poorly for what we tolerate and overlook as a society.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:27 am
Auteur

I wasn't refering to you specifically, I was refering to those people on the comments section of that article who were automatically presuming guilt.

I'm not so sure if I feel dirty watching Polanski's or Allen's films, though I will say i'm not the biggest of them as directors as their films just aren't really my cup of tea.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:35 am
Director

Quote:
And we will probably never know if it's true or not, given that there can be no criminal case.

Good point, almost like the whole thing is already over and done with in an instant. And yeah, this whole story could have been publicized in 2000, 2003, 2006, any of them would have been the same in terms of a pending film from Singer.

I too feel a little uncomfortable watching films from Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, not to mention Mel Gibson. Frankly, I subscribe to the auteur theory to the extent that I find difficulty separating film from filmmaker. I don't think that's a bad thing; it's the nature of art. However, there are some directors who may simply be assholes (Michael Bay, Joseph Kahn) but I still enjoy some of their work.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:22 am
Producer

Eh, I think Polanski should definitely be in jail. The guy ran away. He's scum. But he's a fine filmmaker and I have no trouble watching his movies.

Woody's situation is different because we don't know if he's guilty or not. But even if he's guilty. Okay, then he's a horrible person. But I'd still have no problem watching his movies.

Victor Salva is a convicted pedophile. I still have no problem watching and enjoying Jeepers Creepers. I own it on dvd. I even enjoy it's sequel.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:33 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

The obvious reason legally speaking is the burden of proof in a civil trial is lower (probability instead of being beyond reasonable doubt)

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:11 am
Producer

Hang on, are you guys saying that statutory limitations apply to sexual offences??

Here, limitations on time apply only to summary (minor) offences

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Hang on, are you guys saying that statutory limitations apply to sexual offences??

Here, limitations on time apply only to summary (minor) offences

Yes. In the U.S. there is a statute of limitations for rape cases. I think it may vary from state to state.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 am
Assistant Director

Quote:

In the U.S. there is a statute of limitations for rape cases. I think it may vary from state to state.

Interesting. Found this: https://www.rainn.org/pdf-files-and-oth ... ummary.pdf

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't watch Polanski. The man is an unrepentant rapist -- no mitigating factors, no questions, no confusion.

Woody I'm not a fan of. Salva was a terrible filmmaker, but I wouldn't watch if he makes more stuff.

Vexer wrote:

I think you'd benefit from some research into sexual abuse -- there a million reasons why it isn't reported when it happens, especially in the case of young people being abused by an adult. Remember the Jerry Sandusky case? It is brutally offensive to say that since it wasn't reported right away it must be bogus.

Vexer wrote:
I personally think those claims are baseless and utter nonsense

On what are you basing the idea that these claims are utter nonsense? Oh, right -- your baseless opinion. You may be right, but there's no logic to your conclusion. By calling them baseless you are saying it is impossible to interpret that sexual abuse might have occurred. Again, I'm not saying you are categorically wrong, but unlike you I'm not willing to make a decision before we get real and more complete information. As has been pointed out, the only reason it's simply a civil case is because the statute of limitations has run out.

Vexer wrote:
this is nothing more then a blatant attempt to blackmail Singer for money

This idea, spouted by you and others around the media, makes absolutely no sense. If the case is settled and dropped, the mystery and accusations follow Singer forever. If you're trying to blackmail him, you do so before you bring the case public. There's no benefit to Singer paying anyone off now, so he's going to fight it whether its true or not. To attempt blackmail at this point would be simply unintelligent.

Last edited by Shade2 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 39  Next