Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 45  Next
General Movie News 
Producer

Post Re: General Movie News
I wouldn't mind seeing Zack Snyder continue his superhero stint for a good while. Don't have any respect for Marvel really, but the prolonged popularity of the genre should at least allow DC to flex their muscles, which for me is more exciting.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:57 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Zack Snyder continue his superhero stint for a good while. Don't have any respect for Marvel really, but the prolonged popularity of the genre should at least allow DC to flex their muscles, which for me is more exciting.

Agreed, I'd love to see a Justice League film one of these days.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:37 am
Producer

2019 most likely.

Slightly OT, but is X-Men the most expensive movie this year? Seems like it. Interesting that it's so high but that Transformers is significantly lower than usual.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 am
Director

Quote:
Slightly OT, but is X-Men the most expensive movie this year? Seems like it. Interesting that it's so high but that Transformers is significantly lower than usual.

I thought that was interesting as well, esp since no X-Men movie has ever made 300 mill domestic(while all 3 Transformers have)

HR article says it's Fox's 2nd biggest budget ever(after Avatar)

Last edited by calvero on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm
Producer

Zack Snyder needs to go back to directing like he did in Watchmen. His direction of that movie was solid. He needs to stop directing action like he did in Man of Steel.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:42 pm
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
Zack Snyder needs to go back to directing like he did in Watchmen. His direction of that movie was solid. He needs to stop directing action like he did in Man of Steel.

Disagree, I think his Watchmen direction was a bit plastic and that he'd already taken that approach as far as it could go with 300. I think the rough action approach in Man of Steel is vastly more exciting. Harder edged and punchier than the theme park cartooniness of the Marvel catalog. Debris-laden destruction orgies can be cathartic and spectacular when done right, as I think they were in Man of Steel and War of the Worlds. Say what you want against the morality of the genre itself, but I'd rather see the hardcore version of it than Marvel's sesame street sanitization.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:31 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Disagree, I think his Watchmen direction was a bit plastic and that he'd already taken that approach as far as it could go with 300. I think the rough action approach in Man of Steel is vastly more exciting. Harder edged and punchier than the theme park cartooniness of the Marvel catalog. Debris-laden destruction orgies can be cathartic and spectacular when done right, as I think they were in Man of Steel and War of the Worlds. Say what you want against the morality of the genre itself, but I'd rather see the hardcore version of it than Marvel's sesame street sanitization.

I disagree, I think his directing of action in Man Of Steel was excellent, and I do feel it was at times superior to the directing in Avenger's, as it was unrealistic how we saw no civilians get caught in the crossfire yet all of a sudden there's a memorial at the end, hard for that to have any impact when we didn't see a single civilian get killed. I liked that Man Of Steel didn't hesistate to show the destruction, it gave things more of an impact.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:53 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Which means you agree with Cook.

Completely.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 am
Auteur

AJR wrote:
Which means you agree with Cook.

Completely.

Actually I was disagreeing with "ilovemovies", not Cook, sorry if you got confused.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:52 am
Producer

Man Of Steel committed the ultimate boo-boo, which was to turn the consequences of the action into a joke. Perhaps unintentional, perhaps not.

"He saved us all", juxtaposed immediately with the backdrop of leveled skyscrapers as far as the eye can see. And, for bonus points, Superman's supposed anguish over having to take a life juxtaposed with a downright jocular scene that immediately followed.

If one didn't know better, one might assume that Snyder was intentionally undermining the material's respect for human life at every turn.

It's either poor direction, or it's Zack Snyder trolling everybody who turned up to see a legitimate Superman film. It's either or. Possibly both.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 am
Producer

Yes of course he's trolling viewers to a certain extent. Though he doesn't use that word, his interviews confirm it. There's a certain kind of moviegoer he doesn't like and he's deliberately taunting them in a way. Any great director feels a certain degree of contempt for someone or something. Often, some part of their audience. And that's a good thing. I don't want to be pandered to. I want the filmmaker to do whatever the fuck he wants and as the viewer I'll sort of meet him halfway.

But like he says, films are supposed to cut into the viewer a little bit. Even with Superman.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:11 am
Director

Battlestar Galactica to get re-rebooted - as a movie franchise... because Hollywood.
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57040231/

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:05 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Battlestar Galactica to get re-rebooted - as a movie franchise... because Hollywood.
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57040231/

Sounds pretty cool, sign me up!

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 pm
Director

Intriguing, and it reminds me I need to watch more Cronenberg. Only seen The Fly and A History of Violence.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:06 am
Auteur

After the total shitfest that was "Cosmonopolis"(one of the worst films i've seen to date), i'm seriously doubting as to whether Cronenberg is even capable of making a good film again.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:56 am
Cinematographer

Cronenberg worked with Pattinson again? There must be something he sees in him that we don't.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:33 pm
Auteur

Pedro wrote:
Cronenberg worked with Pattinson again? There must be something he sees in him that we don't.

Don't know what that could possibly be, Pattinson is one of the worst actors of all time, him being involved makes it extremely likely that the film is going to suck hard.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:36 pm
Producer

I actually thought Pattinson was pretty decent in Water for Elephants. He was good enough in that movie that it made me rethink my stance on him.

I need to see more Cronenberg too. I've only seen The Fly, A History of Violence and the Dead Zone, all of which are pretty good and Eastern Promises, which was so-so and eXistenZ, which I thought sucked.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:22 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I actually thought Pattinson was pretty decent in Water for Elephants. He was good enough in that movie that it made me rethink my stance on him.

I need to see more Cronenberg too. I've only seen The Fly, A History of Violence and the Dead Zone, all of which are pretty good and Eastern Promises, which was so-so and eXistenZ, which I thought sucked.

I thought EXistenZ was a visually interesting and compelling film, "Crash" however was a total borefest, you wouldn't think an NC-17 rated film would be boring, but somehow he managed, it was a real struggle to get through the film as it was about as exciting as watching grass grow.

Pattinson did not impress me one bit in Water For Elephants, though to be fair I couldn't tell whether due to his lack of acting skills or the dreadful dialogue he had to recite.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:53 am
Producer

Videodrome is great. The Fly is my favorite of his. Embarrassingly, I have yet to see Scanners.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:54 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 45  Next