Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 38  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
X-men looks better than the other two marvels, but Godzilla and Transformers both look better to me.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:23 pm
Producer

Hercules looks surprisingly badass.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Director

Lucy, directed by Luc Besson and starring Scarlett Johansson

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:38 pm
Director

WHOA. Cannot wait for this, looks completely off the chain. Looks like it should get around a 10% on rottentomatoes, and I say fuck yeah. 3 Days to Kill is easily my favorite film of the year thus far, and Brick Mansions and Lucy are both at the top of my anticipation list. Man of the year, Luc Besson!

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:24 pm
Producer

Scarlett Johasson kicking ass is all I need to see it. But then you have Morgan Freeman added in to make it even more cooler and badass! 8-)

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:19 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Scarlett Johasson kicking ass is all I need to see it. But then you have Morgan Freeman added in to make it even more cooler and badass! 8-)

The Morgan Freeman inclusion gives it a kind of connection to Wanted, since it's combined with a badass chick (Scarlet instead of Angelina) and some superhuman elements. But Besson's film looks to be a lot wackier than that, pushing the zanier aspects of 3 Days to Kill a bit farther.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 am
Producer

And I liked Wanted, a lot in fact. Lots of fun. If Lucy is half as fun as Wanted was, then I'm in for a treat. Except that in Wanted Morgan Freeman plays a bad guy. Here he's a good guy.

And, personally, I thought 3 Days to Kill was so-so. The first 15 minutes or was great, the climax was decent but I found the middle part of the movie to be kind of dull.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:22 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
And I liked Wanted, a lot in fact. Lots of fun. If Lucy is half as fun as Wanted was, then I'm in for a treat. Except that in Wanted Morgan Freeman plays a bad guy. Here he's a good guy.

And, personally, I thought 3 Days to Kill was so-so. The first 15 minutes or was great, the climax was decent but I found the middle part of the movie to be kind of dull.

I thought the middle part was decent as I found the father-daughter scenes to be touching.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 am
Producer

Yeah, after reading a preview, I'm all over this!!

Edit: No I'm not, I'm an idiot and mistook it for Under the Skin.

Don't' ask how!

By the way, has anyone seen Under the Skin?

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 am
Cinematographer

Soooo...a packet of drugs in her stomach gives her hand-to-hand combat skills, heightened intelligence, the ability to read and retain information and a superhuman rate, the ability to "feel every living thing", the ability to changer her hair color mid-stride, some kind of mind reading skills, oh, and let's not forget, the ability to stop and rewind time.

As ridiculous as all that sounds, is it really any more ridiculous than a spider biting a human and giving him super powers? This is a Luc Besson superhero movie. Its B-movie vibe, combined with the absurd premise, would seemingly work in its favor. This likely isn't something I'll seek out, but I'm sure I'll see it at some point. I have no idea what it could be trying to say, if anything, but it might be entertaining.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 am
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

By the way, has anyone seen Under the Skin?

The release is apparently tomorrow though I can't find a single theater that has it. So who knows what the hell is going on. Limited engagement, wider opening at some later date. That's a guess.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:26 pm
Producer

PeachyPete wrote:
Soooo...a packet of drugs in her stomach gives her hand-to-hand combat skills, heightened intelligence, the ability to read and retain information and a superhuman rate, the ability to "feel every living thing", the ability to changer her hair color mid-stride, some kind of mind reading skills, oh, and let's not forget, the ability to stop and rewind time.

As ridiculous as all that sounds, is it really any more ridiculous than a spider biting a human and giving him super powers? This is a Luc Besson superhero movie. Its B-movie vibe, combined with the absurd premise, would seemingly work in its favor. This likely isn't something I'll seek out, but I'm sure I'll see it at some point. I have no idea what it could be trying to say, if anything, but it might be entertaining.

I'm picturing Scarlett Johansson wading through a group of mooks, launching them all 20 feet in the air, while she screams "I can feel everything! I CAN STOP TIME!"

Which basically means she's ingesting PCP.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm
Director

Apparently, Marvel has movies planned through 2028.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:18 pm
Director

It's like they have movies planned for a whole new generation of kids who haven't even been born yet.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:22 pm
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:

It's like they have movies planned for a whole new generation of kids who haven't even been born yet.

Who will have the same tastes and intellectual demands of their parents. So who can possibly blame them for being proactive? Find me a soccer mom or 'equivalently dismissive term for male parent' who hasn't kept up with their kids by ingesting their young adult garbage and I'll show you a gay man living in Chelsea.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:26 pm
Director

Ugh. Kill me now. :evil:

*On second thought, wait until all the extended cut of the "Hobbit" movies are out. :ugeek:

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:16 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:

*On second thought, wait until all the extended cut of the "Hobbit" movies are out. :ugeek:

Sounds pretty cool.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 pm
Producer

Hey, as long as they can keep up the quality of the movies on the same level as both Iron Man 3 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, both of which I love, then I say keep 'em coming!

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:57 am
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:

Seconded. Action movie genres usually have a lifespan of a few years. The superhero craze has been going on for a decade and a half. Yes, geekdom was cool. Now, it's time to go the way of the hipster and be a cult subculture.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Seconded. Action movie genres usually have a lifespan of a few years. The superhero craze has been going on for a decade and a half. Yes, geekdom was cool. Now, it's time to go the way of the hipster and be a cult subculture.

As long as these keep raking in massive dough that's never going to happen, Winter Soldier just broke the record for highest box office opening in April, so like it or not they're here to stay for a good long time.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:49 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 38  Next