Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:51 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 39  Next
General Movie News 
Author Message
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1807
Post Re: General Movie News
KWRoss wrote:
I watched the trailer last night, and I'm not sure what to expect from this. It reminds me a little bit of The Avengers in the sense that we have a team of heroes, but they appear to be going for an even more openly jokey tone here. I thought THE LEGO MOVIE looked like crap based on its trailers and ended up enjoying the hell out of it. In short, I can't tell what we're in for just yet.


The Lego movie was jokey but heavily satirical. Marvel doesn't seem to have satire among their abilities. Their tone has been unwavering self-congratulations for years now.


Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
The Lego movie was jokey but heavily satirical. Marvel doesn't seem to have satire among their abilities. Their tone has been Robert Downey Jr. for years now.

Fixed.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 442
Post Re: General Movie News
I'm not terribly enthused about the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer...I think people are just saying OMG IT'S CHRIS PRATT! Or OMG IT'S A RACCOON WITH A MACHINE GUN!

And what the hell is a Chris Pratt anyways? Never heard of him before The Lego Movie and now he's showing up in this.


Buuttt, I'll probably see this anyways cause I'm a Vin Diesel and Batista mark.


Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2239
Post Re: General Movie News
patrick wrote:
I'm not terribly enthused about the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer...I think people are just saying OMG IT'S CHRIS PRATT! Or OMG IT'S A RACCOON WITH A MACHINE GUN!

And what the hell is a Chris Pratt anyways? Never heard of him before The Lego Movie and now he's showing up in this.


Buuttt, I'll probably see this anyways cause I'm a Vin Diesel and Batista mark.


Chris Pratt is funny in the sitcom Parks and Recreation. Great show.

He's also had good supporting roles in among others movies like the Four Year Engagement.


Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1807
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
The Lego movie was jokey but heavily satirical. Marvel doesn't seem to have satire among their abilities. Their tone has been Robert Downey Jr. for years now.

Fixed.


Good call.


Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:01 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 656
Location: The Desert
Post Re: General Movie News


This looks really fucking weird, and from where I'm standing, that's a good thing. I think I've been a little disparaging about the film on here before, but now I'm thinking the Marvel universe could stand for a looser and more irreverent entry. I get a little bit of The Fifth Element from that trailer, and at least on first impression it looks like a film from the same guy who made Slither and Super.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 am
Posts: 108
Post Re: General Movie News
I haven’t watched a Superhero movie in ages, but I might be down for Chris Pratt and his band of space alien friends shooting things and making jokes. I’ll wait and see what the general consensus is before putting my money down, but I’m interested.


Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
The cast of Fantastic Four reboot is announced.

Miles Teller as Reed Richards
Kate Mara as Sue Storm
Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm
Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm


Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1104
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
The cast of Fantastic Four reboot is announced.

Miles Teller as Reed Richards
Kate Mara as Sue Storm
Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm
Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm


Good choices all around, especially MBJ. And with CHRONICLE director Josh Trank at the helm, I'm looking forward to this.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:18 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
This is an old-ish news story, but I just came across it and found it both interesting and perplexing.

Len Wein, creator of Swamp Thing, Wolverine, etc., talks about movie adaptations of his work.

I like the whole interview--Wein's an intelligent, enthusiastic guy with a long history in this business--but this part really caught my attention:

Quote:
HC: When these [Wolverine] films come out, is it fair to say that it’s something of a bittersweet experience? Characters you’ve created continue to have these long screen lives, but you don’t have credit on the movies.

LW: I still haven’t had credit on one of these movies.

HC: Is that frustrating?

LW: Yes, of course it is. It’s less frustrating for the characters I created at DC. Money comes with the anonymity, at least. I have contracts that guarantee me some small piece of the action. Lucius Fox has earned me a great deal more money than Wolverine ever has, although I will say that for the latest film Marvel did send me a nice check.


I want to let that marinate for a second, for two reasons: 1, the irony that Wein has made most of his film residuals from a minor character he created like Lucius Fox, as opposed to a flagship character like Wolverine, and 2, that Wein is part of the generation that started receiving residual payments for characters in the first place.

This twists me all up, because I've had an ax to grind with Marvel and DC for a while now over the way they've treated the creators of some of their classic characters. Nowadays, it's rare to find a superhero movie that focuses on just one character, just one creation--it's an interlocking web of the characters of several creators across different generations.

I do my best not to pay companies for using characters for which they haven't done their ethical due diligence. But that very same movie (comic book, novel, etc.) might include other characters for whom the creators have a much better arrangement. If I avoid Batman, am I rightly punishing the company that has yet to do right by Bill Finger, or am I wrongly punishing the company that has given Len Wein a better arrangement for his minor characters than Marvel has given him for his major ones?

I want to do right, but what is right? Is it right to stick to your guns and take a hard, no-compromise line on the slightest infraction, or is it right to just relent and trust that at least some of the right people are getting some of what they should be getting? If this is as good as things are likely to get for the time being, should companies be rewarded for taking a portion of the journey when you'd much prefer that they'd taken the whole thing?

Fuuuck, these companies drive me up a wall.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:03 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 442
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:

This twists me all up, because I've had an ax to grind with Marvel and DC for a while now over the way they've treated the creators of some of their classic characters. Nowadays, it's rare to find a superhero movie that focuses on just one character, just one creation--it's an interlocking web of the characters of several creators across different generations.

I do my best not to pay companies for using characters for which they haven't done their ethical due diligence. But that very same movie (comic book, novel, etc.) might include other characters for whom the creators have a much better arrangement. If I avoid Batman, am I rightly punishing the company that has yet to do right by Bill Finger, or am I wrongly punishing the company that has given Len Wein a better arrangement for his minor characters than Marvel has given him for his major ones?

I want to do right, but what is right? Is it right to stick to your guns and take a hard, no-compromise line on the slightest infraction, or is it right to just relent and trust that at least some of the right people are getting some of what they should be getting? If this is as good as things are likely to get for the time being, should companies be rewarded for taking a portion of the journey when you'd much prefer that they'd taken the whole thing?

Fuuuck, these companies drive me up a wall.


I absolutely hate the line of thinking that nothing is good enough if someone is willing to take baby steps to right a wrong or do some good. It's like a slap to the face to all the good that somebody took when you say "Nope, not good enough."

And I still can't fathom why these things matter NOW and to current media. It's like blaming the son for sins of the father when the son has done nothing wrong.

All I see when you make these types of things Ken is you being a whiny baby with a poopie diaper.


Now, in lighter news...somebody left the R. Kelly signal on and this was the result:

Space Jam 2 with Lebron James


Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:34 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3741
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
patrick wrote:
Ken wrote:

This twists me all up, because I've had an ax to grind with Marvel and DC for a while now over the way they've treated the creators of some of their classic characters. Nowadays, it's rare to find a superhero movie that focuses on just one character, just one creation--it's an interlocking web of the characters of several creators across different generations.

I do my best not to pay companies for using characters for which they haven't done their ethical due diligence. But that very same movie (comic book, novel, etc.) might include other characters for whom the creators have a much better arrangement. If I avoid Batman, am I rightly punishing the company that has yet to do right by Bill Finger, or am I wrongly punishing the company that has given Len Wein a better arrangement for his minor characters than Marvel has given him for his major ones?

I want to do right, but what is right? Is it right to stick to your guns and take a hard, no-compromise line on the slightest infraction, or is it right to just relent and trust that at least some of the right people are getting some of what they should be getting? If this is as good as things are likely to get for the time being, should companies be rewarded for taking a portion of the journey when you'd much prefer that they'd taken the whole thing?

Fuuuck, these companies drive me up a wall.


I absolutely hate the line of thinking that nothing is good enough if someone is willing to take baby steps to right a wrong or do some good. It's like a slap to the face to all the good that somebody took when you say "Nope, not good enough."

And I still can't fathom why these things matter NOW and to current media. It's like blaming the son for sins of the father when the son has done nothing wrong.

All I see when you make these types of things Ken is you being a whiny baby with a poopie diaper.


Now, in lighter news...somebody left the R. Kelly signal on and this was the result:

Space Jam 2 with Lebron James

I personally don't think you should be agonizing that much over whether or not to see a comic-book film. I think you should only see a film if it looks appealing to you, if say the Batman/Superman film dosen't look interesting to you, then by all means don't see it, but if you are interested in seeing it, then you really shouldn't feel guilty over paying to see it, as long as SOMEONE is getting the credit they deserve, I think it's good enough for now.

Yes it really sucks that neither Finger or Kirby have got the credit they deserve, but i'm not going to avoid seeing movies with their characters, as me not seeing those films isn't going to make Marvel or DC change their minds. The best one can do is to start an online petition to those companies to give credit where it's due, that will most likely be more effective then boycotting their films.


Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:52 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
patrick wrote:
I absolutely hate the line of thinking that nothing is good enough if someone is willing to take baby steps to right a wrong or do some good. It's like a slap to the face to all the good that somebody took when you say "Nope, not good enough."

And I still can't fathom why these things matter NOW and to current media. It's like blaming the son for sins of the father when the son has done nothing wrong.

All I see when you make these types of things Ken is you being a whiny baby with a poopie diaper.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

For one thing, it's not a situation that's over and done with. What you are essentially doing is excusing every unethical business practice perpetrated by the entertainment industry on the basis that somebody else started it. For another thing, the exploitative practices of the comics business have been particularly intractable, given that the industry is built upon contracts designed to exploit young Jewish men in the great Depression. But this is okay to you, because the current owners are mostly maintaining what's there and making agonizingly slow progress to redress the worst of sins that are fully in their power to redress.

Think about how much money The Avengers made. Know why it matters? Because all those characters were devised in the time period that you've convinced yourself has no bearing on the present.

God, the behavior of some so-called movie lovers is fucking disgusting. They behave like addicts who don't give a shit how they get their dope as long as they get it.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3741
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:
patrick wrote:
I absolutely hate the line of thinking that nothing is good enough if someone is willing to take baby steps to right a wrong or do some good. It's like a slap to the face to all the good that somebody took when you say "Nope, not good enough."

And I still can't fathom why these things matter NOW and to current media. It's like blaming the son for sins of the father when the son has done nothing wrong.

All I see when you make these types of things Ken is you being a whiny baby with a poopie diaper.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

For one thing, it's not a situation that's over and done with. What you are essentially doing is excusing every unethical business practice perpetrated by the entertainment industry on the basis that somebody else started it. For another thing, the exploitative practices of the comics business have been particularly intractable, given that the industry is built upon contracts designed to exploit young Jewish men in the great Depression. But this is okay to you, because the current owners are mostly maintaining what's there and making agonizingly slow progress to redress the worst of sins that are fully in their power to redress.

Think about how much money The Avengers made. Know why it matters? Because all those characters were devised in the time period that you've convinced yourself has no bearing on the present.

God, the behavior of some so-called movie lovers is fucking disgusting. They behave like addicts who don't give a shit how they get their dope as long as they get it.
Talking down to people like that dosen't really make you sound any better then them though. It's only going to piss people off and make them even less likely to listen to anything you have to say.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 442
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:
You have got to be fucking kidding me.

For one thing, it's not a situation that's over and done with. What you are essentially doing is excusing every unethical business practice perpetrated by the entertainment industry on the basis that somebody else started it. For another thing, the exploitative practices of the comics business have been particularly intractable, given that the industry is built upon contracts designed to exploit young Jewish men in the great Depression. But this is okay to you, because the current owners are mostly maintaining what's there and making agonizingly slow progress to redress the worst of sins that are fully in their power to redress.

Think about how much money The Avengers made. Know why it matters? Because all those characters were devised in the time period that you've convinced yourself has no bearing on the present.

God, the behavior of some so-called movie lovers is fucking disgusting. They behave like addicts who don't give a shit how they get their dope as long as they get it.


Yeah, God-forbid we actually, GASP, watch the fucking movie without a care on it's background! Especially a background that happened, 40, 50, 60, 70 years ago.

I bitten my tongue when you threw these hissy fits about how the creators should be more compensated than they were but NO MORE! My mouth is full of too much blood and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let this slide anymore. I'm tired of you yelling at the people saying who cares about today because of what happened decades ago and how it was stealing despite it being, you know, totally legal or at least with a legally enforced contract. They want more money, then it's lawyer shit and it's between them and whoever.

You wanna play Social Justice Warrior and say you can't enjoy something because of what happened decades ago, GO ON FUCKING TUMBLR!


Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:02 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1104
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: General Movie News
The superhero situation is a tough one. I'm not a comic book fan. I see most of these movies once, sure, but THE DARK KNIGHT trilogy and THE AVENGERS are really the only ones I've watched multiple times out of pure enjoyment. I don't lose any sleep over who gets an adaptation and who doesn't, so I'm definitely not looking for a fix on that level. Ken recently put up a link on Facebook that asks those who want to see GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY to consider giving to creator Bill Mantlo's ongoing care. I think I'll chip in a little something myself because it sounds like a nice gesture.

http://www.avclub.com/article/if-youre-looking-forward-to-guardians-of-the-galax-201372?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default%3A1%3ADefault

And as for SPACE JAM 2, words cannot describe how awful an idea that is. That's MJ's territory, LeBron! Go do your own thing! :roll:

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:47 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
Vexer wrote:
Talking down to people like that dosen't really make you sound any better then them though. It's only going to piss people off and make them even less likely to listen to anything you have to say.

Let me put it to you this way: not everybody is going to feel the same way on every topic. That's one thing--to simply hold a different opinion. It's quite another to dismiss the topic altogether, marginalize the people it affects, and smear the character of others for finding it important themselves.

Those who do the former, yeah, I get it. Not everybody holds precisely the same set of values, and they deserve the free reign to draw their own conclusions about it. Those people, the former people, I'll just have to do my best to discuss things on reasonable terms and keep the faith that at least they're aware, even if they disagree.

Those who do the latter get exactly the level of cordiality they deserve. And I'll deal with that in good time.

KWRoss wrote:
The superhero situation is a tough one. I'm not a comic book fan. I see most of these movies once, sure, but THE DARK KNIGHT trilogy and THE AVENGERS are really the only ones I've watched multiple times out of pure enjoyment. I don't lose any sleep over who gets an adaptation and who doesn't, so I'm definitely not looking for a fix on that level. Ken recently put up a link on Facebook that asks those who want to see GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY to consider giving to creator Bill Mantlo's ongoing care. I think I'll chip in a little something myself because it sounds like a nice gesture.

http://www.avclub.com/article/if-youre-looking-forward-to-guardians-of-the-galax-201372?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default%3A1%3ADefault

Excellent. Good man.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:15 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3741
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
Space Jam 2 eh? I liked Space Jam enough, but a sequel? That's got to be the most bizarre choice for a film to make a sequel to, even moreso then Basic Instinct.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:26 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1807
Post Re: General Movie News
Vexer wrote:
Space Jam 2 eh? I liked Space Jam enough, but a sequel? That's got to be the most bizarre choice for a film to make a sequel to, even moreso then Basic Instinct.


I predicted this several years ago. I always figured LeBron would get his own Space Jam movie in the long run.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:30 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
patrick wrote:
Yeah, God-forbid we actually, GASP, watch the fucking movie without a care on it's background! Especially a background that happened, 40, 50, 60, 70 years ago.

I bitten my tongue when you threw these hissy fits about how the creators should be more compensated than they were but NO MORE! My mouth is full of too much blood and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let this slide anymore. I'm tired of you yelling at the people saying who cares about today because of what happened decades ago and how it was stealing despite it being, you know, totally legal or at least with a legally enforced contract. They want more money, then it's lawyer shit and it's between them and whoever.

You wanna play Social Justice Warrior and say you can't enjoy something because of what happened decades ago, GO ON FUCKING TUMBLR!

First off: find one--ONE--instance of me "yelling at people" about this issue rather than simply talking about it. I will stop you right now and let you know that this instance of me browbeating you today does not count, because you pissed me off and frankly you need a good browbeating.

So go for it. Dig through the archives. Find an instance of me bullying people about this issue instead of simply raising the issue and arguing my corner. Do that . Right now.

I mean, god forbid someone here express a sense of social justice about how our entertainments get made! My stars, you might just faint. I hope this isn't causing you too much personal distress. Have some Maalox before you read on, just in case.

Second off: I have to wonder. Just what was it about my post that had you biting your tongue so hard? What did I do to provoke you on such a personal level? Don't answer, because I'll answer for you. I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. I did not wrong you or cross you in any way. I didn't even speak to you.

What I did do was make a genuine entreaty to others for their opinions on something I expressed a conflict over. You took that opportunity not to just disagree with me, but to insult me. And, if memory serves, it wouldn't be the first time that you have slung mud at another member of this forum without them having done anything to instigate your attack.

Remember when you slagged Threeperf after he left? Whatever his problem was, he resolved it by removing himself from the the situation, and it was a dead issue thereafter. But you still couldn't resist getting some last licks in on a member who isn't even around to defend himself anymore. No provocation. Just pure, uninvited meanness.

And how about Vexer? He may be unorthodox, but he's been around here more than long enough that the rest of us have gotten used to him. Yet you couldn't resist getting a dig in at him as recently as the Lego Movie thread, before he even said anything, or anyone else for that matter. Why? To what purpose? And how about the time you jumped on him for an exchange in which you had absolutely no involvement? "Fucking lazy", I think your words were. I don't remember the exact nature of the conversation, but I know that nobody had escalated the argument even close to that level, and Vexer sure as shit didn't say anything to you about it. It wasn't warranted. You dove in anyway.

You seem to have a habit of getting personally offended by people who did nothing to invite your offense, including, in my case, remarks that were both completely innocuous and made in the spirit of sincere inquiry.

I have to ask: dude, what is your problem?

I don't think anybody's a perfect poster, but I don't think there was anything wrong with what I posted. I was magnanimous. I think I'm magnanimous in general. Few people here go out of their way to be shitty. Why make yourself one of them?

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 39  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr