Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next
General Movie News 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: General Movie News
Syd Henderson wrote:
The only two January releases that come to mind that I liked were Calendar Girls and Cloverfield, but I'm sure there were others.

The only three I can think of are Cloverfield, The Grey, and The Butterfly Effect (I thought it was pretty clever, but the ending was a cop out).

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 pm
Producer

RIP Sid Caesar.

Now I believe Mickey Rooney is the only living major cast member of Mad Mad World.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:34 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
The only two January releases that come to mind that I liked were Calendar Girls and Cloverfield, but I'm sure there were others.

The only three I can think of are Cloverfield, The Grey, and The Butterfly Effect (I thought it was pretty clever, but the ending was a cop out).

Didn't care much for the first two, though the latter was OK and I thought the ending was fine.

Some other January releases i've enjoyed:

Ride Along
From Dusk Til Dawn
Eye For An Eye
Turbulence
Metro
The Relic
Fallen
Hard Rain
Deep Rising
Green Hornet
Caught Up
Desperate Measures
Phantoms
Zero Effect
Virus
Supernova
Eye Of The Beholder
Antitrust
Double Take
Sugar And Spice
Imposter
Orange County
State Property
Just Married
A Guy Thing
National Security
Final Destination 2
Torque
Along Came Polly
The Perfect Score
Coach Carter
Elektra
Assault On Precinct 13 remake
Alone In The Dark
Hostel
Underworld: Evolution
Underworld: Awakening
Last Holiday
Code Name: The Cleaner
Happily N Ever After
Primeval
Alpha Dog
The Hitcher remake
Smokin Aces
Rambo
First Sunday
Untraceable
Notorious
My Blood Valentine 3-D
Taken
Daybreakers
Book Of Eli
Edge Of Darkness
Highlander III
The Mechanic
The Dilemma
Contraband
Haywire
One For The Money
Man On A Ledge
Broken City
Last Stand
Parker

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:56 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

Didn't care much for the first two, though the latter was OK and I thought the ending was fine.

Some other January releases i've enjoyed:

Ride Along
From Dusk Til Dawn
Eye For An Eye
Turbulence
Metro
The Relic
Fallen
Hard Rain
Deep Rising
Green Hornet
Caught Up
Desperate Measures
Phantoms
Zero Effect
Virus
Supernova
Eye Of The Beholder
Antitrust
Double Take
Sugar And Spice
Imposter
Orange County
State Property
Just Married
A Guy Thing
National Security
Final Destination 2
Torque
Along Came Polly
The Perfect Score
Coach Carter
Elektra
Assault On Precinct 13 remake
Alone In The Dark
Hostel
Underworld: Evolution
Underworld: Awakening
Last Holiday
Code Name: The Cleaner
Happily N Ever After
Primeval
Alpha Dog
The Hitcher remake
Smokin Aces
Rambo
First Sunday
Untraceable
Notorious
My Blood Valentine 3-D
Taken
Daybreakers
Book Of Eli
Edge Of Darkness
Highlander III
The Mechanic
The Dilemma
Contraband
Haywire
One For The Money
Man On A Ledge
Broken City
Last Stand
Parker

Some of those I like, in fact, I actually like a lot of them. But some of them are just bad. Turbulence? Really? That's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Phantoms has some nice atmosphere, but there really isn't anything to the movie. Completely empty. Broken City was very disappointing. I saw it expecting something good, because I love Wahlberg and Crowe but it was just so flat.

The Mechanic was senseless to me. The most unlikable character Statham has ever played (except maybe Cellular). I was rooting for Ben Foster's character.

Code Name: The Cleaner was a horrible, laugh free "comedy".

State Property?!!! First of all, I thought I was the only one who saw that movie. Secondly, it's such an amateurish piece of junk.

I liked Supernova when I first saw it but then I watched it again in television and it just wasn't very good.

I'm a huge fan of the Underworld movies except for Awakening. That was a major disappointment to me.

Okay, here are the ones that I strongly agree with you on: From Dusk Till Dawn, Man on the Ledge, Edge of Darkness, Daybreakers, The Book of Eli, Orange County, Haywire, The Dilemma, Taken, My Bloody Valentine, Assault on Precinct 13, The Hitcher, Metro and perhaps one of the most underrated and misunderstood movies of the past 15 years: Eye of the Beholder.

I'm half and half on The Relic. Loved the third act, but it takes forever to get there and it gets pretty dumb at times.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:52 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
RIP Sid Caesar.

Now I believe Mickey Rooney is the only living major cast member of Mad Mad World.

...I'll be damned. Mickey Rooney is still alive.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 am
Auteur

What's so bad about Turbulence? I thought it was a pretty well done and genuinely tense thriller for the most part. There's dozens of way worse films out there, like Tideland and Southland Tales.

I just found State Property a fasicnating movie for some reason, dosen't come across as ameturish to me, at least not as much as those stupid Paranormal Activity sequels.

Awakening was actually the best of the franchise for me, how was it dissapointing? It was a massive improvement over Rise Of The Lycans, which was incredibly boring and mediocre and poorly acted by all.

I'm a big fan of Cedric The Entertainer's stand-up comedy, so I was happy to see him get a lead role, and he definitely provided the laughs for me in The Cleaner, plus it also had Lucy Liu.

I really enjoyed The Mechanic, it didn't strike me as "plotless" at all, I thought Statham's character was plenty likeable enough, Foster was kind of bland though.

Phantoms entertained the hell out of me, though Peter O Toole's performance was a little bit too over-the-top for my tastes.

Broken City had some great acting from Wahlberg and Crowe.

The Relic was admittedly a bit slow at times, but I didn't really find it "dumb", and I also have a bit of a personal connection to this one, as it was filmed at The Field Museum in Chicago, which i've visited numerous times, so it was cool to see a movie set there.

A few other January films I forgot to mention that I liked(several are guilty pleasures):

Win A Date With Tad Hamilton
The Wedding Planner
Kangaroo Jack
Don't Be A Menace
American Cyborg: Steel Warrior
Death Wish V
Blink
Car 54 Where Are You?
Cabin Boy
House Party 3
Body Snatchers
Higher Learning
Houseguest
Dunston Checks In
Bad Company(1995)
Lawnmower Man 2
Bio-Dome
Two If By Sea
Screamers
Big Bully
Beverly Hills Ninja
Gridlock'd
Shadow Conspiracy
Meet Wally Sparks
Firestorm
Star Kid
In Dreams
Gloria
She's All That
Next Friday
Down To You
Big Tease
Save The Last Dance
Snow Dogs
Darkness Falls
The Big Bounce
Chasing Liberty
My Baby's Daddy
Racing Stripes
Are We There Yet?
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3-D
Grandma's Boy
Big Momma's House 2
Imagine Me And You
Freedom Writers
Blood And Chocolate
Catch And Release
27 Dresses
Bride Wars
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Leap Year
New In Town
Youth In Revolt
Legion
Spy Next Door
When In Rome
Tooth Fairy
A Haunted House
Movie 43
I Frankenstein

Last edited by Vexer on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 am
Producer

I found Turbulence to be stupid, inept and horribly acted. Ray Liotta can be one of the best actors around when he's great, but he can also be really awful. In Turbulence he was the latter.

I called The Mechanic senseless, not plotless.

I love the Underworld movies, but Awakening was a weak, limp Aliens ripoff.

As for the new batch of movies you listed, I really loved In Dreams. An extremely underrated and incredibly haunting film with a really great performance from Annette Bening.

I like one or two others, but most of the movies that are on your second list largely suck. Or are mediocre.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:01 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I found Turbulence to be stupid, inept and horribly acted. Ray Liotta can be one of the best actors around when he's great, but he can also be really awful. In Turbulence he was the latter.

I called The Mechanic senseless, not plotless.

I love the Underworld movies, but Awakening was a weak, limp Aliens ripoff.

As for the new batch of movies you listed, I really loved In Dreams. An extremely underrated and incredibly haunting film with a really great performance from Annette Bening.

I like one or two others, but most of the movies that are on your second list largely suck. Or are mediocre.

I don't think Liotta has ever given a bad performance to date, and I thought he was pretty good in Turbulence, and the film never struck me as "stupid" or "inept", Lauren Holly was also pretty good, I was on the edge of my seat a lot.

The Mechanic didn't come across as "senseless" to me, I thought it was an interesting character study.

I think some of the films that you posted on the "highest rating" thread suck, especially POTC: At World's End, I find those Pirates movies to be absolutely wretched and completely devoid of any entertainment whatsoever, I really hope part 5 is the last entry in that godawful franchise.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 am
Producer

The total number of January flicks Vexer listed is probably about half the number of all the movies I've seen which I would consider to be truly exceptional. All of them.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:10 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
The total number of January flicks Vexer listed is probably about half the number of all the movies I've seen which I would consider to be truly exceptional. All of them.

Yep, as I figured, the only flick from those lists I'd likely even consider 'good' is "Haywire" (which actually premiered at a festival in November '11, so it doesn't count in my book) -- and definitely nothing 'VERY good-to-great' like February's "The Silence of the Lambs," "In Bruges" and "Side Effects." Everything else probably ranges from decent to horrendous. So February still has a slight edge over January, IMO.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
I don't think Liotta has ever given a bad performance to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CrFfXULICg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:05 am
Producer

DAMNIT, Resident Evil 6 isn't coming out this year after all. Apparently it's not even in development yet... :?:

Oh well, hopefully we see it in 2015, I'd like to see this franchise complete itself. In the meantime, good luck to Pompeii I guess.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:49 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
DAMNIT, Resident Evil 6 isn't coming out this year after all. Apparently it's not even in development yet... :?:

Oh well, hopefully we see it in 2015, I'd like to see this franchise complete itself. In the meantime, good luck to Pompeii I guess.

Eh, Pompeii looks pretty bland. Sucks for RE6, but on the plus side we finally have an official release date for Brick Mansions-April 25th. Just saw the trailer on Youtube and it looks freaking awesome, can't wait to see it!

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:36 pm
Producer

If Jill Valentine isn't in RE6 and she's not a good guy in this one, I'm probably going to skip it seeing how terrible the last RE movie was.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:27 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
If Jill Valentine isn't in RE6 and she's not a good guy in this one, I'm probably going to skip it seeing how terrible the last RE movie was.

RE Revelations was the best film in the series so i'm eagerly anticipating the sixth film.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:17 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

RE Revelations was the best film in the series so i'm eagerly anticipating the sixth film.

Retribution. The last two movies were fiercely independent opportunities for Anderson to play around with visual space, slow motion, neon-y set design (which seems to have rubbed off on Skyfall), and techno-trance-musical accompaniment, all of which represent a different, interesting take on the action movie. RE5 was like a 90-minute trip exploring the possibilities of the style; completely delirious, which for me means awesome.

Pompeii might be bland, as Anderson tends to do better with more psychedelic imagery, but I'm hoping for the best. Hoping his feel for rhythm elevates Pompeii. Brick Mansions looks cool, as does 3 Days to Kill. Looks like a good season for Europacorp.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:05 am
Producer

3 Days to Kill looks good. I'm a huge fan of Kevin Costner (next to Russell Crowe, he was the best thing about Man of Steel despite being wasted) and I think McG is a much better director than he's often given credit for.

Pompeii doesn't look great, but I still want to see it for two reasons. A) the visual effects look pretty cool, and B) I'm a huge Kiefer Sutherland fan, although more for his TV work than his movie work. Still, whenever Jack Bauer is in something, I'll see it, no matter how bad it may look.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:16 am
Producer

I'm a Kiefer Sutherland fan, and excited to see him play a villain. Love his work in Phone Booth, and he can definitely have a good menace to him. Kevin Costner looks like a good fit for the material, and I really enjoyed Mr. Brooks several years ago. That movie got forgotten.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:29 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
3 Days to Kill looks good. I'm a huge fan of Kevin Costner (next to Russell Crowe, he was the best thing about Man of Steel despite being wasted) and I think McG is a much better director than he's often given credit for.

Pompeii doesn't look great, but I still want to see it for two reasons. A) the visual effects look pretty cool, and B) I'm a huge Kiefer Sutherland fan, although more for his TV work than his movie work. Still, whenever Jack Bauer is in something, I'll see it, no matter how bad it may look.

I like Sutherland(i'm especially excited that he's voicing Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid V) but Pompeii just looks absolutely atrocious, it looks like a sure bet that it's going to end up on JB's worst of 2014 list. The visual effects look awfully bland, the trailer just made me yawn and failed to raise a pulse, looks it's going to be a major flop.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:52 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
I like Sutherland(i'm especially excited that he's voicing Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid V)......

Oh you did NOT just make that mistake......

He's Big Boss aka Naked Snake. Sorry man, but this is my favorite video game series of all time and I know this shit 8-)

I'm hopeful as well, though. To me, it makes sense to switch voice actors considering the character is getting older and looking closer to how we know the man while ultimately look from the early Metal Gear games when Solid Snake enters the picture.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next