Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next
General Movie News 
Producer

Post Re: General Movie News
Not exactly new, but I read this interview with Paul Schrader earlier and it's full of good stuff. Like this bit:

Quote:
GK: Taking those sorts of risks also takes an enormous physical and emotional toll. And then, after the film is made, getting a distributor ...

PS: I would beg to differ. I think the opposite is much more exhausting: making a piece of shit. Talk about a toll. I don’t know how they do it. I don’t know how those people go out and make that same movie they’ve seen a hundred times and that somebody else has made a hundred times. Going to the factory in order to stamp out the same object you’ve been stamping out all your life. How do you do that in the arts? I mean, that would drive me crazy. Going out and saying, ‘How the hell am I going to pull this off?’ – that keeps you awake, that makes you excited and makes you alive. So, I just don’t really know how directors do it just as a job. I think everything has to be a matter of ‘I don’t know if you can do this.’ We may be having dinner in a few years, and I’ll say to you: ‘You know that movie I didn’t know if I could pull off? Well, I was right; you can’t pull that one off. But I had to make it to find out.’

This was almost 10 years ago, actually, but I think the problem he describes is practically the gospel that the movie business has come to live by in the intervening years.

Thu May 08, 2014 11:41 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
Not exactly new, but I read this interview with Paul Schrader earlier and it's full of good stuff. Like this bit:

Quote:
GK: Taking those sorts of risks also takes an enormous physical and emotional toll. And then, after the film is made, getting a distributor ...

PS: I would beg to differ. I think the opposite is much more exhausting: making a piece of shit. Talk about a toll. I don’t know how they do it. I don’t know how those people go out and make that same movie they’ve seen a hundred times and that somebody else has made a hundred times. Going to the factory in order to stamp out the same object you’ve been stamping out all your life. How do you do that in the arts? I mean, that would drive me crazy. Going out and saying, ‘How the hell am I going to pull this off?’ – that keeps you awake, that makes you excited and makes you alive. So, I just don’t really know how directors do it just as a job. I think everything has to be a matter of ‘I don’t know if you can do this.’ We may be having dinner in a few years, and I’ll say to you: ‘You know that movie I didn’t know if I could pull off? Well, I was right; you can’t pull that one off. But I had to make it to find out.’

This was almost 10 years ago, actually, but I think the problem he describes is practically the gospel that the movie business has come to live by in the intervening years.

Exactly. But oh God how I wish more people would realize it. Good directors make filmmaking fun. Bad directors make it a chore; a chore for their actors, for their crew, for everyone. Bad filmmaking means the crew has to work harder but for less purpose. It creates bad feelings on set which correspond to the underlying knowledge that they're making a piece of shit. In other words, welcome to the world of student filmmaking. Cross my heart and hope to die, I will NEVER work on a student set again as long as I live.

Thu May 08, 2014 11:47 pm
Producer

This is way cool: a fan edit that condenses the Star Wars prequel trilogy down to a single 165 minute movie, titled Star Wars: Turn To The Dark Side.

I haven't watched it yet, but presumably this cuts way down on the more objectionable elements that have earned the prequels a reputation for being stinky pieces of crap.

The official description...

"A reimagining of the Star Wars prequel trilogy edited into a single compelling movie, based on the structure conceived by actor Topher Grace. As a critique of episodes 1-3, many large plot pieces have been removed or changed to strengthen the core relationship between Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala. More than 100 video and audio edits heighten the main character's tragic fall from grace."

Since it is an unauthorized video using official Star Wars footage, it could be taken down at any time. If you want to watch this more than once, or want to watch it later, I suggest downloading it. If Vimeo's download links don't work, go to keepvid.com and put the URL in there.

Fri May 09, 2014 4:28 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
This is way cool: a fan edit that condenses the Star Wars prequel trilogy down to a single 165 minute movie, titled Star Wars: Turn To The Dark Side.

I haven't watched it yet, but presumably this cuts way down on the more objectionable elements that have earned the prequels a reputation for being stinky pieces of crap.

Sounds interesting. Might actually make the prequels watchable. Hopefully someone will eventually do the same thing with The Hobbit films, and convert it to the SINGLE movie that the material actually justifies based solely on the core story.

Fri May 09, 2014 6:02 pm
Director

They better not cut down the comedy classic that is The Sand.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:59 pm
Producer

Updates:

1. It has apparently been taken down.
2. I just started watching it. The very first scene in the movie is the lightsaber fight from the end of The Phantom Menace. Fine choice. And my compliments to the editor for doing a great job of extricating the fight scene from all the other sequences it was intercut with in the original movie.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:27 pm
Producer

peng wrote:
They better not cut down the comedy classic that is The Sand.

Yup! It's in here. At the half hour mark, which shows just how much they've trimmed so far. Some of the other howlers have been cut, such as the second half of "You've grown, too... grown more beautiful."

Actually, the fact that some dialogue is cut makes the dialogue left in, even the bad dialogue, a lot more tolerable. I guess there's a cumulative effect to bad dialogue.

The performances are even coming off better. The actors are generally more charming in these roles when they're not so chatty.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:07 am
Producer

I'm a really huge proponent of this sort of thing, just as I appreciate "The Godfather Saga" which redesigned the scenes so that it would be in chrono order, starting with De Niro, etc.

Why not? In most cases, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Sat May 10, 2014 1:49 am
Director

Roberto Orci to Direct Star Trek 3

Well okay then...

Tue May 13, 2014 10:19 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:

Hell yeah!

Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I’d say I was disappointed, but I wasn’t going to see it anyway. Not unless they were going to give it to a whole new team. I thought the first was fun for what it was, but I couldn’t muster up enough interest to see the sequel.

Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 am
Director

Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 pm
Producer

They're not supposed to call it that.

Wed May 14, 2014 10:46 pm
Director

AJR wrote:
I’d say I was disappointed, but I wasn’t going to see it anyway. Not unless they were going to give it to a whole new team. I thought the first was fun for what it was, but I couldn’t muster up enough interest to see the sequel.

You talking about Star Trek? You missed nothing not having seen the sequel. In fact I envy you to some degree. That movie was absolutely horrendous in so far as Star Trek canon is concerned.
Roberto Orci seems pretty inexperienced to helm such a major franchise. His credits are mostly for WRITING various JJ Abrams TV series (which explains the endorsement from Abrams), Hawaii Five-0 and the first Transformers film. Looks like he also penning The Amazing Spider-Man 3. He clearly a writer rather than a director - indeed ST3 will be his directorial debut.

Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am
Assistant Director

peng wrote:

Awesome. Can't wait. Although Fassbender speaking quietly isn't a good thing...like when he was David in Prometheus. His accent gets in the way.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu May 15, 2014 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Producer

nitrium wrote:
Roberto Orci seems pretty inexperienced to helm such a major franchise. His credits are mostly for WRITING various JJ Abrams TV series (which explains the endorsement from Abrams), Hawaii Five-0 and the first Transformers film. Looks like he also penning The Amazing Spider-Man 3. He clearly a writer rather than a director - indeed ST3 will be his directorial debut.

Perhaps this is a good thing. He may retreat from stylistic showiness into more of a TV style, which historically hasn't been great for movies, but at this point might be just what Star Trek needs.

Thu May 15, 2014 6:43 am
Director

Interstellar trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8UDRrDvOkY

Fri May 16, 2014 2:07 pm
Director

calvero wrote:

Yeah it hard to say from that trailer if it will be any good. It has MASSIVE amounts of potential, however - this is my absolute favourite genre.

Fri May 16, 2014 8:40 pm
Producer

calvero wrote:

Looks kind of boring (as environmental issues often are), but surprisingly unpretentious. Seems like its heart is in the right place, and the cinematography is a major step up for Nolan. I'm intrigued.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
calvero wrote:

Looks kind of boring (as environmental issues often are), but surprisingly unpretentious. Seems like its heart is in the right place, and the cinematography is a major step up for Nolan. I'm intrigued.

Eh, looks OK I guess, but I can't say I have an urge to see it in theaters, i'll likely wait until DVD.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:22 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next