Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Which actors' deaths do you think will affect you greatly? 
Gaffer

Post Which actors' deaths do you think will affect you greatly?
I thought of this while view the Jack Nicholson Retirement thread. Of those living actors now, which actors/actress do you think will affect you in some way when he/she passes.

For me it's the following:

1. Meryl Streep - such a wonderful actress, bringing so many characters to life, I think her death will leave a void in the industry for sure.
2. Jack Nicholson - same as above
3. Tom Cruise - he's a celebrity, he has a certain presence and he's a good actor. I think I will be more interested to see how the world reacts to it than rather my reaction.

That's all I can think of now. Sorry if it's a morbid topic.

But you can also list actors who have already died and affected you when they did.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 pm
Producer

Post Re: Which actors' deaths do you think will affect you greatly?
When De Niro goes, it's going to put a big hurt on me. Really, many of the fine actors of his generation, but especially him. I know he hasn't done much of note in recent years, but it's going to mark the passage of possibly our most brilliant talent in screen acting.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:25 pm
Producer

It would be one of the talented young actors or actresses dying too soon, like River Phoenix or Keith Ledger did. There are a lot of kids that I'd like to see go on to long careers. I'm still upset over Phoenix's death.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 pm
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
It would be one of the talented young actors or actresses dying too soon, like River Phoenix or Keith Ledger did. There are a lot of kids that I'd like to see go on to long careers. I'm still upset over Phoenix's death.

Same here, a lot of people are still upset over Cory Monteith's death. So far the celebrity death that's affected me the most was that of Brittany Murphy.

If there's one death I wouldn't be able to take, it would be Lindsay Lohan, I don't even want to think about it. I've gotten sick to my stomach whenever I heard about her getting in trouble with the law or being in an accident. For a long time, googling her name was the first thing I would do after turning on my computer, just to see if she was doing OK. Thankfully she seems to have finally turned a corner after going to rehab this year, so i'm worrying about her less, I just really want her to succeed so badly.

I'm also pretty worried about Amanda Bynes after hearing that she might have schizophrenia and that she was sent to a psych ward, I certainly hope she gets better like Britney did.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:14 pm
Director

gkanchan wrote:
I thought of this while view the Jack Nicholson Retirement thread. Of those living actors now, which actors/actress do you think will affect you in some way when he/she passes.

1. Meryl Streep - such a wonderful actress, bringing so many characters to life, I think her death will leave a void in the industry for sure.
3. Tom Cruise - he's a celebrity, he has a certain presence and he's a good actor. I think I will be more interested to see how the world reacts to it than rather my reaction.

But you can also list actors who have already died and affected you when they did.

I don't think any of those people will go anytime soon. Hopefully jack has years left. But I'll be vey upset when one of the Bond actors dies which I fear is not far off.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm
Second Unit Director

Heath Ledgers death still affects me. Every few months I find myself watching videos of him on youtube, or watching one of his movies just to remember the talent that we lost when he died. I remember when I first heard he had died it was the first time my jaw actually dropped. I think my mouth hung open all day long.

As for actors now? I don't think I will ever be greatly affected if an actor dies of old age. There will be sadness, but no prolonged grief. There are lots of young actors with many years left whose death would bother me quite a bit.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
gkanchan wrote:

I don't think any of those people will go anytime soon. Hopefully jack has years left. But I'll be vey upset when one of the Bond actors dies which I fear is not far off.

It was only a short while ago I discovered Moore is 3 years older than SC

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:13 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Clint Eastwood - One of my favourite action heroes from the 70s who transformed into a nuanced and subtle director.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:20 am
Producer

Alex wrote:
Clint Eastwood - One of my favourite action heroes from the 70s who transformed into a nuanced and subtle director.

Yes!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:23 am
Director

Now being in their 80's, I can't help but think Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall will both be gone within 10 years. :?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 am
Assistant Director

Syd Henderson wrote:

Agreed, although I'm not sure who Keith Ledger is ;)

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 am
Second Unit Director

Eric the Actor.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 am
Second Unit Director

In terms of hours spent "with" an actor, I've hung out with Ewan Mcgregor the most and will miss him when he's gone.

Everyone was exposed to him as young Jedi Obi Wan Kenobi, but how many folks went through the trials and tribulations of "Long Way 'Round" with Ewan and his friend Charlie Boorman? Ditto "Long Way Down"? Google them both if you don't know what I'm talking about. I bought both DVD sets and have seen them each about 3 times. Seeing a guy living, -no script, and doing what damned few people have ever attempted is pretty amazing. In some strange way, he feels like a friend I've had over quite a few times, had some beers, some laughs...
He's the guy who got me off my ass and out there making adventures, even if they weren't any farther than my back yard, or the two cross-state bike-packing trips I did after watching "LWR" and "LWD". I'll miss him terribly because he influenced how I live my life and take "adventures" with my family,

I'm going to miss Richard Dean Anderson as well. He's just my kind of people.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:25 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

Agreed, although I'm not sure who Keith Ledger is ;)

Heath Ledger.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:07 pm
Second Unit Director

What the fuck?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:32 pm
Cinematographer

It will really suck when Sir Ian McKellen passes away. His turns as Gandalf and Magneto aside, Sir McKellen has been one of the finest actors in the medium of film as far as I'm concerned. His adaptation of the Shakespeare play Richard III is still one of the best on my list- in fact, it's a toss-up between that one, Henry V (Kenneth Branagh), and Ran (Akira Kurosawa) as far as adaptations of The Bard are concerned for me.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Morgan Freeman.
I will sad when he disappears.
He is dignity personified.
Robin Williams will also be missed.
I know he hasn't made great movies lately but he is still a funny guy.
At the other end of the spectrum.
Is there anyone you will not miss.

I offer Paris Hilton.
Uselessness personified

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:11 am
Cinematographer

p604 wrote:
I offer Paris Hilton.
Uselessness personified

So her death would you affect you greatly in the opposite fashion (big party focused on pissing all over her grave)? Good idea, though calling her an "actress" would be a huge stretch.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:07 am
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
p604 wrote:
I offer Paris Hilton.
Uselessness personified

So her death would you affect you greatly in the opposite fashion (big party focused on pissing all over her grave)? Good idea, though calling her an "actress" would be a huge stretch.

I don't really have anything against her and wouldn't be cheering if she died or anything like that, there are plenty of people who I would not miss if they died, but none of them are actors.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:59 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
p604 wrote:
I offer Paris Hilton.
Uselessness personified

Hello Ragnorok
It would be quite the opposite.
I would be completely indifferent.
I look at it this way. Statistically , 155,000 people have to die each year. Is it wrong to wish that Paris Hilton would replace one of those people. After all, one of those other people probably lead a more worthwhile and more deserving life.
I think Jordan said it best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RrBaeym4vg.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:15 pm