Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 am

Ben Affleck says I'm Batman! 
Second Unit Director

Post Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/

Discuss.

And I think this is a bad idea. Like very bad idea.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 pm
Critic

Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
I was just going to post this!

Really, Affleck? Isn't this the shit you did that ruined your career? Aren't you happy with your new career as a director of superior thrillers? Why do you want to do this???

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
I was just going to post this!

Really, Affleck? Isn't this the shit you did that ruined your career? Aren't you happy with your new career as a director of superior thrillers? Why do you want to do this???

Fuck Affleck, I'm more worried about what it will do the franchise itself. Christ, just when Nolan had given the Batman name some credibility again, Hollywood comes along and does this. Fuck them, seriously.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 pm
Director

Wow, just out of left field it might work, and Man of Steel, for all its faults, at least got the casting perfect.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:14 pm
Auteur

I have nothing against this whatsoever, I liked Affleck in Daredevil, so i'm sure i'll like him as Batman as well, though he's admittedly not my first choice.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:35 pm
Producer

two famous. Nobody will ever look at Batman and see anybody other than Ben Affleck in the suit.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:40 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
two famous. Nobody will ever look at Batman and see anybody other than Ben Affleck in the suit.

This could be overcome with enough acting skill- just ask anyone who hadn't seen The Dark Knight if they could envision Heath Ledger as the Joker. Unfortunately, Affleck has not been blessed with the acting ability for me to envision this as anything other than a disappointment at best.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:17 am
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:

This could be overcome with enough acting skill- just ask anyone who hadn't seen The Dark Knight if they could envision Heath Ledger as the Joker. Unfortunately, Affleck has not been blessed with the acting ability for me to envision this as anything other than a disappointment at best.

You didn't like his performances in "The Town" or "Argo"?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:29 am
Second Unit Director

This is the worst news I've heard all year.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 am
Producer

I'm more worried about Zack Snyder's direction than I am about Ben as Batman.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:12 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I'm more worried about Zack Snyder's direction than I am about Ben as Batman.

I loved how Snyder handled Superman, so i'm definitely eager to see what he does with Batman as well.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:18 am
Director

It definitely might be too famous, it'll be Superman vs. Ben Affleck instead of Batman. But maybe Affleck did screen tests for Snyder and he liked it? Personally, I don't find any of Affleck's thrillers to be superior. He's a better actor than he is a director. To be honest, the only reason this is out of left field is because Affleck is so damn overexposed. But if I pretend that Affleck is an unknown...I could definitely see him doing this part. He's a natural fit for Bruce Wayne, he can pull of the brooding look pretty well.

In fact, now that I think more about Daredevil, when you think about it this is really no more unexpected a piece of casting than Crowe and Costner were for Steel. Seems as though type-casting is becoming the theme of Snyder's franchise. What's next, Jim Carrey as The Joker?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:26 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
It definitely might be too famous, it'll be Superman vs. Ben Affleck instead of Batman. But maybe Affleck did screen tests for Snyder and he liked it? Personally, I don't find any of Affleck's thrillers to be superior. He's a better actor than he is a director. To be honest, the only reason this is out of left field is because Affleck is so damn overexposed. But if I pretend that Affleck is an unknown...I could definitely see him doing this part. He's a natural fit for Bruce Wayne, he can pull of the brooding look pretty well.

In fact, now that I think more about Daredevil, when you think about it this is really no more unexpected a piece of casting than Crowe and Costner were for Steel. Seems as though type-casting is becoming the theme of Snyder's franchise. What's next, Jim Carrey as The Joker?

I don't see Carrey doing a role like that after his complaints about movie violence.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:30 am
Producer

That would be weird, considering that Jim Carrey already played the Riddler.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:56 am
Critic

Ken wrote:

Ken....did you just use the wrong "too?"

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 am
Producer

Using voice recognition software on a smartphone has its perils.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
That would be weird, considering that Jim Carrey already played the Riddler.

I don't think that the Joker should return at all.
I would hope that the central villan would Lex Luther. There maybe no need for a batman villain.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am
Second Unit Director

While I like Ben Affleck, this doesn't seem like a good decision. There are a lot of actors I'd choose first.
-That said, Michael Keaton shouldn't have been a good Batman either. Maybe he wasn't the best, but he doesn't stand out as the worst either. A compelling villian could save the day.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am
Director

It's clearly time for Mister Mxyzptlk!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:20 pm
Second Unit Director

I like the idea as it is a good match as Affleck can match Cavill blandness for blandness as actors. I hope they let him use his Boston Southie accent. That would be wicked smaaat. Or as Patton Oswalt said "How do you like them apples. Riddl-ah."

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:59 pm