Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:48 am

Lost Welles film discovered in Italy; predates Kane. 
Producer

Post Lost Welles film discovered in Italy; predates Kane.
Well, this doesn't happen everyday.

Quote:
The cast of “Too Much Johnson” included several members of his Mercury troupe: Joseph Cotten, Arlene Francis, Howard Smith, Edgar Barrier, Mary Wickes and Welles’s wife at the time, Virginia Nicholson, billed under her stage name, Anna Stafford. The music was composed by Paul Bowles (who later wrote “The Sheltering Sky”); legend has it that an aspiring comedian named Judith Tuvim, later Judy Holliday, was one of the extras.

There are no heroes in “Too Much Johnson” — only a frantic womanizer from Yonkers named Augustus Billings (played by Cotten). Billings has been carrying on an extramarital indiscretion under the invented identity of the owner of a plantation in Cuba named Johnson — a figure who, inconveniently enough, actually exists, as Billings discovers when he arrives in Santiago, in the company of his wife (Nicholson), his mother-in-law (Wickes) and a jealous husband (Barrier).

Each act of the play — written by the celebrated actor William Gillette as a vehicle for himself — was to begin with a film segment. The first (and most nearly completed in the rediscovered print) was a chase across Lower Manhattan shot in the style of a silent comedy, complete with Keystone Kop-like pursuers, a suffragist parade to barrel through and Cotten tottering on the edge of a skyscraper like Harold Lloyd in “Safety Last.”

I don't know how the film will function without the accompanying play, but it'll be interesting to see regardless.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:07 pm
Critic

Post Re: Lost Welles film discovered in Italy; predates Kane.
So exciting!

Thankfully my dream of finding the missing reel of The Magnificent Ambersons is still alive and well

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:37 pm
Director

Now that's pretty awesome.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:51 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
So exciting!

Thankfully my dream of finding the missing reel of The Magnificent Ambersons is still alive and well

I've read two separate news stories about people coming across incredible finds while knocking down walls in their houses. One guy found a vintage Fender Stratocaster and another guy found a copy of Action Comics #1. It's not inconceivable that missing film treasures could be walled-up in people's houses somewhere, right under their noses.

I'm just saying... who's up for some remodeling?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:16 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
So exciting!

I've read two separate news stories about people coming across incredible finds while knocking down walls in their houses. One guy found a vintage Fender Stratocaster and another guy found a copy of Action Comics #1. It's not inconceivable that missing film treasures could be walled-up in people's houses somewhere, right under their noses.

I'm just saying... who's up for some remodeling?

Think of how cool it would be. We find the missing Greed footage or something and get to show up at the AFI and be like "Detective...detective...DETECTIIIIIVE!? You're looking for me"

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:26 pm
Producer

I don't know if I would be that coherent. My initial reaction would probably come out more like this.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 pm