Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Movies 2015 
Producer

Post Re: Movies 2015
H.I. McDonough wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
There's also talks about JJ Abrams' wanting Star Wars to be pushed to May 2016. If that happens, then 2016 will be bigger than 2015. Especially since that's also when Avatar 2 is suppose to come out.

That's my big hope right now... and Harrison Ford's injury could be the blessing in disguise that makes it happen. :? May the Force be with all SW films getting May releases. :lol:

In a weird way though I think a December release would actually generate more hype. If it gets pushed back, it's probably more because they want more time to complete it.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:27 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
There's also talks about JJ Abrams' wanting Star Wars to be pushed to May 2016. If that happens, then 2016 will be bigger than 2015. Especially since that's also when Avatar 2 is suppose to come out.

If that happens, Batman/Superman will be pushed back as well.

With Batman v Superman already filming and all these earlier marketing are making serious movie commentators like John Campea (See here ) speculating that this film will be brought back to 2015 8-)

Aleluya if that happens !

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 am
Profile WWW
Producer

unwindfilms wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

If that happens, Batman/Superman will be pushed back as well.

With Batman v Superman already filming and all these earlier marketing are making serious movie commentators like John Campea (See here ) speculating that this film will be brought back to 2015 8-)

Aleluya if that happens !

I seriously doubt that. Can't think of a single time that's ever been done. Not that I'd complain if it does happen. And it does sound like BvS will be ready a little sooner than expected. It'd be awesome if Star Wars and BvS end up switching dates.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 am
Auteur

There's a few times films have had their release dates moved up-Iron Eagle was originally supposed to come out in summer 1986, but since Top Gun was scheduled for release around the same time, it was moved up six months earlier to January in order to avoid being called a rip-off of Top Gun.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:33 am
Assistant Director

My hopes for 2015:

Both "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" And "Batman vs. Superman" will EPICALLY crash and burn, ending Joss Whedon's career behind the camera (not ever scene has to be a serial cliffhanger, buddy!) and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, killing off the superhero genre for another 50 years.

"Avatar 2" will build upon the first film and take the story into a new, stronger direction.

"Star Wars: Episode VII" will perfectly balance the old and the new into a masterful experience that will allow other filmmakers to explore the world that Lucas had only begun to reveal. Disney is looking to have a new release every year, including some standalone movies, so hopefully we will get some other genres seen in this universe (an R-rated sex comedy set in the "Star Wars" universe? Or a horror movie? Yes please!)

"The Hunger Games" will do adequately...enough to allow the "Divergent" series to continue until it completely cements the careers of Shailene Woodley and Theo James (yum!), but prove to the studios that YA franchises are a dying breed.

"Hotel Transyvania 2" and "Fantastic Four" will do so badly that no one will notice that they even existed. Ditto for "Die Hardest."

"Finding Dory" and "Peanuts" will find visionary ways to respect their predecessor/source material.

The others...well, if "Warcraft" does well, we may have the next "Lord of the Rings," and (finally!) get a "Halo" movie, although a TV show might be better because there's a huge world to explore, and no sanitizing needed or foreign audiences to cater to. And "Ant-Man" just sounds awful.

Naturally, I know the chances of most of these happening are slim to none, but a guy can dream, can't he?

"

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I hope both Age Of Ultron and Batman/Superman do well and i'm quite sure they well as superhero films have an extremely fanbase, so they're not likely to go away anytime soon.

Avatar 2 I truly could not care less about if I tried, the first film was massively overrated and mediocre at best, and I very much doubt the sequel will be much of an improvement.

YA franchises aren't going anywhere either, there's been enough success with them that studios will keep trying until they get another hit, and I for one hope more of these films get made so that we at least get more movies with lead female roles(as long as the main character isn't an insult to women everywhere like in the case of Bella from Twilight), which we've been sorely lacking for too long.

Fantastic Four is a bit of a wild card, I predict it will do better then the first film did but it won't be a major hit as far as superhero films go, i'm looking forward to it and I hope they do the characters more justice then the first film did.

There's going to be a Warcraft movie? Seriously? I never heard anything about that until now, I'd be surprise if it's as successful as LOTR, especially with more and more people getting burnt out on the series with the Hobbit films.

I've been wanting a Halo movie for a long time and i'll be first in line to see it.

Ant-Man sounds pretty good, I think it's nice to have a more light-hearted superhero film to balance out the more serious ones, it dosen't sound "awful" at all.

Also really looking forward to Resident Evil 6.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm
Producer

Quote:
My hopes for 2015:

Both "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" And "Batman vs. Superman" will EPICALLY crash and burn, ending Joss Whedon's career behind the camera (not ever scene has to be a serial cliffhanger, buddy!) and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, killing off the superhero genre for another 50 years.

"Avatar 2" will build upon the first film and take the story into a new, stronger direction.

A guy can dream, but this is a double standard. You can't expect the demise of Marvel and DC while simultaneously hoping for the success of Avatar and Star Wars. Nobody's willing to take a stand against big budget spectacle in all or nothing terms. People just take sides including, I won't deny, myself.

I definitely agree with you in the hope that Whedon will fall on his face in the same way Favreau did for Iron Man 2. Avatar didn't provide much in the area of actual visceral thrills and stimulation. Man of Steel did, as does Zack Snyder in general, so I'm eagerly looking forward to Bat v Supe.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
My hopes for 2015:

A guy can dream, but this is a double standard. You can't expect the demise of Marvel and DC while simultaneously hoping for the success of Avatar and Star Wars. Nobody's willing to take a stand against big budget spectacle in all or nothing terms. People just take sides including, I won't deny, myself.

I definitely agree with you in the hope that Whedon will fall on his face in the same way Favreau did for Iron Man 2. Avatar didn't provide much in the area of actual visceral thrills and stimulation. Man of Steel did, as does Zack Snyder in general, so I'm eagerly looking forward to Bat v Supe.

I'm not against big budget movies. I love them, if they're good. But I'm really sick of the whole superhero thing and obsessive quest for franchises. Whatever happened to just good storytelling?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
My hopes for 2015:

I'm not against big budget movies. I love them, if they're good. But I'm really sick of the whole superhero thing and obsessive quest for franchises. Whatever happened to just good storytelling?

Well I think some superhero films do in fact have good storytelling.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 am
Producer

As I have said before, if comic book movies remain as great as Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future Past then I say keep 'em coming.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 am
Assistant Director

ilovemovies wrote:
As I have said before, if comic book movies remain as great as Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future Past then I say keep 'em coming.

They weren't THAT great. But what about movies like The Rock, or Independence Day, or Anaconda...movies that AREN'T so cross merchandised and marketed to the point where we already know the movie before we see it?

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

I thought Winter Soldier was better than all three.

Although that's more to do with the fact that I thought those movies were pretty middling, rather than Winter Soldier being a particularly outstanding movie. It's pretty good though. A big step up from the first movie. And probably the last superhero movie I see for a while (unless that Guardians of the Galaxy movie is as good as the first trailer hinted. But is it even a superhero movie really? It's fantasy/Sci-Fi with aliens with crazy powers, who might as well be superheros I guess, but I'm sure they'll be fighting through space with laserguns and it has a fucking talking raccoon so who knows. This whole section feels far too big to fit into brackets but I don't even care)

I guess what I'm saying is; if the answer to the overabundance of Superhero movies is a movie like Independence Day, count me out.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 pm
Assistant Director

Okay, fine. Maybe people don't like ID4 as much as me (it's one of my favs, and while it's lost some of its capacity to thrill, it still holds up just fine for me).

What about "Die Hard," "Face/Off," and others? Where people actually get shot and die? Where the concept was the hook, not the brand name? I'd rather see a movie that had an interesting idea than another generic superhero movie sequel.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Okay, fine. Maybe people don't like ID4 as much as me (it's one of my favs, and while it's lost some of its capacity to thrill, it still holds up just fine for me).

What about "Die Hard," "Face/Off," and others? Where people actually get shot and die? Where the concept was the hook, not the brand name? I'd rather see a movie that had an interesting idea than another generic superhero movie sequel.

Well we did get that with Amazing Spider-Man 2, I did not expect the climax to go the way it did, that's for sure.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:31 am
Producer

moviemkr7 wrote:

I sort of agree, but not every action film has to be high concept. Those are high concept films, some of which I love. The 90s was all about high concept. But for me, the hook of a film is often the genre itself. The promise of seeing spectacular action or having some good laughs. "Superhero" is never really its own genre. It's a hybrid of sci-fi/fantasy and monster flicks, pretty much invariably. So often, it's just reduced to whatever the brand happens to be. But I love films where the point is strictly genre exercise. It can be great, and sometimes it amounts to a broad comment on culture.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:56 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

I sort of agree, but not every action film has to be high concept. Those are high concept films, some of which I love. The 90s was all about high concept. But for me, the hook of a film is often the genre itself. The promise of seeing spectacular action or having some good laughs. "Superhero" is never really its own genre. It's a hybrid of sci-fi/fantasy and monster flicks, pretty much invariably. So often, it's just reduced to whatever the brand happens to be. But I love films where the point is strictly genre exercise. It can be great, and sometimes it amounts to a broad comment on culture.

Maybe. But I just wish there were other action movies that guys in tights and capes running around and beating people up while going from Easter egg to Easter egg in place of a plot.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

moviemkr7 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Maybe. But I just wish there were other action movies that guys in tights and capes running around and beating people up while going from Easter egg to Easter egg in place of a plot.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:01 am
Producer

Lucy, Expendables 3, The November Man, etc.

Plenty of non comic book action movies coming out and have come out.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:02 am
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
Lucy, Expendables 3, The November Man, etc.

Plenty of non comic book action movies coming out and have come out.

Latter two don't look good. But Lucy looks like a great high concept hook.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:24 pm
Assistant Director

Interesting pics (one attached) from the new Mad Max : Fury Road

Quote:
George Miller wasn’t kidding when he told us back in 2012, “He’s a rebooted Mad Max, but it’s a new interpretation.” So clearly taking some elements from the original films, but not all of them. Pretty intriguing stuff and quickly becoming the most anticipated blockbuster of next year. A teaser trailer will be revealed next week at Comic-Con and that likely means it’ll be online shortly thereafter.

Attachments:
Mad Max Fury Road.jpg
Mad Max Fury Road.jpg [ 58.08 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next