Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57 am

Confirmed: Zack Snyder will direct Batman/Superman Duo 
Director

Post Confirmed: Zack Snyder will direct Batman/Superman Duo
I think the official confirmation is supposed to come later today, but it seems to be set in stone: WB has decided to make their MOS follow-up a Batman/Superman team movie. Very exciting and unexpected news, which confirms my theory that Man of Steel was too radical, all-encompassing an approach to Superman to warrant a mere standalone sequel. According to the article on playlist, the tentative release is 2015. If they follow through with this, and keep Snyder on board as director (as the article implies), it'll be very exciting. I hope they do manage it for 2015 so they can flip their middle finger to Avengers 2.

The article does comment, however, on the fact that Bale will certainly not return.

It raises some interesting questions. Will Man of Steel be the last standalone Superman movie?

Last edited by MGamesCook on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:48 pm
Producer

Post Re: Officially Confirmed? Man of Steel 2 = Superman/Batman Duo
Assuming this is true... no. There will be more standalone Superman movies, but not until after they finally force this Justice League thing to happen. For further information, see: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And can we PLEASE get Bill Finger somewhere in the credits and cut his granddaughter in on the profits? This is DC/WB's chance to prove, once and for all, that they treat their creators with more respect than Marvel, but only if they finally do right by Finger. This has been, is, and will continue to be their greatest secret shame.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:12 pm
Assistant Director

Post Re: Confirmed: Zack Snyder will direct Batman/Superman Duo
This news was confirmed in Comic-Con 2013:

Quote:
Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date inSummer 2015.

I was hoping a Justice League movie for 2015 but better a Superman/Batman movie than nothing at all to keep the trend to get the JL film made sometime in the medium future.

The only thing I can say at this point is that Snyder and Goyer have to lift their game as screen writers (not really a big fan of what they did with "Man of Steel") and I hope they cast the Batman role well.

Cheers

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Holy fucking shit balls.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:26 pm
Director

Ughhh to David S. Goyer returning. I mildly like Man of Steel but still want to rewatch it (the action numbness will hopefully lift now that I know the story beats), but really not looking forward to that Papa Kent/tornado scene at all. Just horribly written.

I'm bummed that we will not get a Man of Steel sequel. The thing I like most about Man of Steel is its on-spot (but underused) casting, and this means that the supporting players will appear even less.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm
Director

Oh man, I just realize that 2015 is now going to be OVERFLOWING with tentpoles movie. This, James Bond, Avengers 2, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ant-Man, Prometheus, Hunger Games, Finding Dory, Jurassic Park(?), and so many, many more. Insane.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:48 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
Oh man, I just realize that 2015 is now going to be OVERFLOWING with tentpoles movie. This, James Bond, Avengers 2, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ant-Man, Prometheus, Hunger Games, Finding Dory, Jurassic Park(?), and so many, many more. Insane.

Another Prometheus film, really? Hopefully the next Pirates will be a massive flop like Lone Ranger was.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:50 pm
Director

Quote:
This, James Bond, Avengers 2, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ant-Man, Prometheus, Hunger Games, Finding Dory, Jurassic Park(?), and so many, many more. Insane.

Most of them will come and go as quickly as Pirates 4 did. I'm pumped for Ant-Man, Bond, and this though.

Steel basically got the same criticisms that every Snyder movie has gotten. I wouldn't expect them to go away, but maybe more people will acquire a taste for what he's generally trying to do. Steel was an amalgamation of his most prominent themes: honorable death, hypocrisy among the good guys, using violence as a tool to stamp out evil, etc. It'll be interesting to see what he does next, especially proving that he can do crazy things with a big budget.

Quote:
that Papa Kent/tornado scene at all. Just horribly written.

I disagree, I thought it was very powerful and believable. Pa Kent let himself die out of fear. The cars being hurled around by the tornado are emblematic of what he knew Clark was capable of doing. He couldn't live with himself if Clark was allowed to become a loose cannon. It's like in Wrath of Khan when Kirk had never "faced death." Pa Kent had to make sure Clark faced it before it was too late, and also that heroism isn't just about physical power (something Marvel hasn't understood since Spider-Man 2).

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:42 am
Second Unit Director

Is anyone else getting tired of all these superhero/comic book movies?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:39 am
Director

I have no problem with the scene's theme, but the way it engineered events to his death was terribly contrived (didn't see/hear the tornado from afar until it was just meters away; stayed and unhelpfully beckoned people when they could clearly see the way to safety already; going back to save the dog when the tornado was right there; didn't let Clark be the one who went back in when Clark could easily and believably went in among the blurry wind, fetched the dog, and came back unharmed; and I knew it's important to tell/signal Clark but when the tornado is almost upon you and you are injured, you don't just stand there still and wait for it to tragically and symbolically take you away, you (or normal people) should at least crawled for your life) so the manipulation really showed and was kind of insulting to me. I don't mind some inconsistencies in movies now and then (especially if it's skirting on fantasy like this one), but for such a crucial and supposedly highly emotional scene to pile on multiple levels of character logics similar to a slasher movie is just too much for me.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:03 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
I have no problem with the scene's theme, but the way it engineered events to his death was terribly contrived (didn't see/hear the tornado from afar until it was just meters away; stayed and unhelpfully beckoned people when they could clearly see the way to safety already; going back to save the dog when the tornado was right there; didn't let Clark be the one who went back in when Clark could easily and believably went in among the blurry wind, fetched the dog, and came back unharmed; and I knew it's important to tell/signal Clark but when the tornado is almost upon you and you are injured, you don't just stand there still and wait for it to tragically and symbolically take you away, you (or normal people) should at least crawled for your life) so the manipulation really showed and was kind of insulting to me. I don't mind some inconsistencies in movies now and then (especially if it's skirting on fantasy like this one), but for such a crucial and supposedly highly emotional scene to pile on multiple levels of character logics similar to a slasher movie is just too much for me.

Agreed, for me that scene was easily the weakest part of the film, it just didn't make any sense and felt way too contrived for my tastes, outside the theater I overheard some people talking about how ridiculous that scene was.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:46 pm
Director

Quote:
Agreed, for me that scene was easily the weakest part of the film, it just didn't make any sense and felt way too contrived for my tastes, outside the theater I overheard some people talking about how ridiculous that scene was.

Yo Vex, what did you think of Steel overall in comparison to Transformers, other superhero movies, other action movies, etc?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:40 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Yo Vex, what did you think of Steel overall in comparison to Transformers, other superhero movies, other action movies, etc?

I thought MOS was definitely superior to Superman Returns in every way and more exciting then Thor and Captain America, I found the action scenes just as if not more exciting then the ones in the Transformers series. I'm a little surprised that people were turned off at all the destruction in that film yet they weren't bothered by the same level of destruction in The Avengers.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:45 pm
Producer

Who will play Batman??

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:50 pm
Director

ck100 wrote:
Is anyone else getting tired of all these superhero/comic book movies?

Apparently not many. But I'm completely over them. Personally, I thought even The Avengers was pretty average.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 pm
Director

Quote:
Who will play Batman??

Josh Brolin?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:18 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Who will play Batman??

They were looking at Armie Hammer a while back. He's probably still in the running.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:07 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Who will play Batman??

They were looking at Armie Hammer a while back. He's probably still in the running.

I'd go for Thomas Jane myself.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 pm
Producer

It's worth mentioning that in possibly the most quintessential Batbook, Batman: Year One, Bruce Wayne was modeled on Gregory Peck.

Can anyone think of any of today's young actors who are, shall we say, a bit Peckish?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Officially Confirmed? Man of Steel 2 = Superman/Batman Duo
Thi$ late$t move by DC Make$ perfect $en$e to me. Gotta keep up with the Joneses, after all. And why not get these two together? This past Superman was essentially a Batman movie (The Dark Flight?).

All that said, I am seriously geeking out over the sheer epic scope of the idea! :mrgreen:

Ken wrote:
And can we PLEASE get Bill Finger somewhere in the credits and cut his granddaughter in on the profits? This is DC/WB's chance to prove, once and for all, that they treat their creators with more respect than Marvel, but only if they finally do right by Finger. This has been, is, and will continue to be their greatest secret shame.

I hadn't even known about the Bill Finger thing until you started bringing it up on these threads, Ken. That's a problem. I agree with you though. A travesty!

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 am