Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Robocop remake to be PG-13 
Second Unit Director

Post Robocop remake to be PG-13
No surprise here. I knew Hollywood would neuter another Paul Verhoeven film to PG-13 just to bring in a bigger audience. Did Hollywood not learn its lesson from the 2012 Total Recall remake? Did Hollywood not learn its lesson from making Robocop 3 have a PG-13 rating?

I would not buy that for a dollar.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/robocop ... o-be-pg-13

Some more information:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... icate.html

The remake of RoboCop has been designed to receive a PG-13 rating.

The director and stars of the new film discussed it at this year's San Diego Comic-Con.

In reference to why the violence in the film has been toned down compared to that of Paul Verhoeven's original, director Jose Padilha said: "We shot the movie to be seen by the widest possible audience, which is PG-13. I never really bought into the idea that RoboCop has to be extremely violent to work. The Dark Knight is PG-13."

He went on to say: "The original RoboCop tonally was very ironic and very violent, and also a critique of fascism.

"It dealt with concepts that maybe not everyone caught on to. The relationship between fascism and robotics is very close.

"Like, the war in Vietnam ended because soldiers were dying; if you picture that war with robots then there wouldn't be the same pressure at home. The issue is now posed by drones. Our movie is about that, that's one part of it."

Michael Keaton added: "It's a very current theme. It's a hugely entertaining film, while underneath it's discussing relevant ideas, but not to the degree that your brain will hurt going home. When there's smart added to the fun, it just ratchets things up exponentially. There's a moral aspect to these robots, and I think that issue is underlying it."

Samuel L Jackson added: "We're not going to put that in the trailer though! We're going to put the excitement in there, and then when people come out they can tweet and say, 'Damn, that was morally intelligent!'"

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Robocop remake to be PG-13
I'm slightly dissapointed, but given that part 3 also carried that rating, I can't say i'm surprised either.

I'm still looking forward to seeing it regardless, and I think it can work in spite of the rating. I agree with the filmmakers comments, you can still have the social satire without the extreme violence. I enjoyed the Total Recall remake so i'm sure i'll enjoy this one too.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:12 pm
Director

Vexer will be the only person who likes this. I predict it will be a pale imitation of a classic film.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:38 pm
Producer

Robocop also looks like a '90s sentai superhero.

I actually don't doubt that they can make this sufficiently violent despite the rating. We all know the MPAA is going to be lenient in that regard. It's trying to make it smart that's going to cause the trouble.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 pm
Director

Got a feeling this is partially due to Dredd.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 pm
Director

Not surprising at all. They did it with Total Recall. They did it with Conan The Barbarian. If we're lucky people will stay home and watch the original.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:38 am
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Not surprising at all. They did it with Total Recall. They did it with Conan The Barbarian. If we're lucky people will stay home and watch the original.

Or perhaps the remake will introduce people to the original.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 am
Producer

I wouldn't count on the chances of people seeking out the original just because the remake is in theaters. Odds are that will attract the usual summer blockbuster crowd who is just out to spend a couple hours at the movies. I think this is the case with most remakes.

it's kind of like arguing that people who read Twilight might be encouraged to seek out other, better books. The greater likelihood is that aside from Twilight, they wouldn't be reading anything at all. Big Macs rarely inspire people to dine on fine cuisine.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:56 am
Second Unit Director

I don't know Ken, I can only speak from personal experience, but there have been plenty of times that ai have checked out the original movie after watching a remake that I enjoyed. Maybe people don't do it in mass numbers, but it has to happen on some level. Also, if what you're saying is true, why do booksellers put books of high profile movies on prominant display cases if they don't think people are more likely to buy the book because the movie is now coming out?

Heck, if what your saying is true then adaptations and remakes would be far less popular then they are now. People in general are much more likely to seek out associated products of material they are fans of. This has to go both ways. Maybe not as prominantly with remakes because of the age factor, but it has to be taking place.

Heck, I've looked up the original films even when the remake sucked because I wanted to see if the original was better, such as with Clash of the Titans.

-Jeremy

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Ken wrote:
Robocop also looks like a '90s sentai superhero.

I actually don't doubt that they can make this sufficiently violent despite the rating. We all know the MPAA is going to be lenient in that regard. It's trying to make it smart that's going to cause the trouble.

This.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 am
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
I don't know Ken, I can only speak from personal experience, but there have been plenty of times that ai have checked out the original movie after watching a remake that I enjoyed. Maybe people don't do it in mass numbers, but it has to happen on some level. Also, if what you're saying is true, why do booksellers put books of high profile movies on prominant display cases if they don't think people are more likely to buy the book because the movie is now coming out?

Heck, if what your saying is true then adaptations and remakes would be far less popular then they are now. People in general are much more likely to seek out associated products of material they are fans of. This has to go both ways. Maybe not as prominantly with remakes because of the age factor, but it has to be taking place.

Heck, I've looked up the original films even when the remake sucked because I wanted to see if the original was better, such as with Clash of the Titans.

-Jeremy

Agreed, and I don't really see where the Twilight comparison came from, that's one instance where both the books and the films sucked equally. People who like the Robocop remake might be curious as to if they like the original and it's sequels the same way, and those who don't like the remake might want to check out the original to see if it's as bad. I honestly hope the remake does better then Dredd did, I love pretty much any film with Samuel L Jackson, so his presence alone is reason enough for me to see that film.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:44 pm
Producer

thered47 wrote:
I don't know Ken, I can only speak from personal experience, but there have been plenty of times that ai have checked out the original movie after watching a remake that I enjoyed. Maybe people don't do it in mass numbers, but it has to happen on some level.
That's just my point, though. I don't think it's happening in mass numbers. I'm not saying that I'm right without exception, but that I'm right in a general sense and that most people going to see this movie aren't going to be rushing in droves to see the original. I think the "movie people" are more likely to do it, but the "people who go to the movies" aren't. And the latter far outnumber the former.

As for you, the fact that you're here discussing this stuff with us seems to indicate that you don't represent the average moviegoer. You have a much greater interest in the medium.

Quote:
Also, if what you're saying is true, why do booksellers put books of high profile movies on prominant display cases if they don't think people are more likely to buy the book because the movie is now coming out?
A person who was never going to read Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas is most likely not going to read it just because they saw the movie and the book's cover has been replaced by the movie poster. A person who would read Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas but hasn't done it is more likely to pick up a copy of the book, especially if its prominence/availability at the bookstore has been raised.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a remake, adaptation, marketing tie-in, or whatever isn't likely to turn audience members into something they weren't when they went in. A non-movie person isn't going to do something that movie people do (seek out movies that aren't shouting in their faces through the summer marketing bullhorn), just as a non-reader isn't going to turn into a reader just because they read some tawdry piece of trash.

Quote:
I'd say the appeal has more to do with name familiarity on the consumer end, and proof of a reliable concept on the production end.

To expound on the former: Robocop, especially nowadays, is one of those quaint '80s curios that today's young people are familiar with primarily through osmosis. It has a whiff of nostalgia around it that's going to drive interest in the remake, in addition to the sundry marketing techniques that come with any big movies. At no point does this require or even expect that most people have actually seen the original.

Does anyone here know a lot of people--not "movie people", but "people who go to the movies"--who went out and marathoned old Star Trek after seeing STID? Or went out and grabbed a stack of comic books or watched the 1978 Superman movie after seeing Man of Steel?

To expound on the latter, financiers greenlight these things not just because older properties are proven moneymakers, but because financiers aren't always creative people themselves. In fact, they very often aren't. As a prospective filmmaker (or as a representative of prospective filmmakers), you have to somehow describe to these people what you're trying to do. An original idea that only exists on the page is very hard to sell, because the people you want to buy your idea might not have the vivid imagination necessary to understand the idea that you're describing.

But, if you bring them a comic book, a video game, or a previously existing movie and show it to them, they don't have to imagine anything. It's laid out right there in front of them. I was at a speech given by David Petersen in which he described this phenomenon as "ready-to-pitch". It's one of the less prominent, but arguably more vital ways that financiers can be convinced to open their wallets in an era when they're more inclined than ever to keep their wallets shut.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:57 pm
Cinematographer

This one will go right along side of Total Recall as a movie I remember fondly enough from earlier in life that I have no desire to see the remake. No matter when I've gone down the remake trail I always come up liking the original better if I've seen it before (even for the hokie Clash of the Titans). Guess I just can't shake the nostalgia bias.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:38 pm
Director

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuVphAuRo7Q

Maybe because I haven't watched the movie in almost 10 years and don't remember the original well, but it doesn't...look too bad? At least the cast is pretty good, and after looking through their profile, the director and screenwriter really show some promise.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:11 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:

Maybe because I haven't watched the movie in almost 10 years and don't remember the original well, but it doesn't...look too bad? At least the cast is pretty good, and after looking through their profile, the director and screenwriter really show some promise.

Looks pretty good, Samuel L Jackson alone is reason enough for me to see it.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Just saw the trailer. Um yeah, I'll stick with the 1987 version.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 pm
Assistant Director

The trailer looks pretty generic. Nothing that any mediocre, run-of-the-mill, sci-fi film hadn't done before. No, thanks.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Director

peng wrote:

Trailer totally not selling it for me. That looks just like every other summer blockbuster - lots of slick but highly mediocre action. More proof Hollywood is completely bereft of original ideas. Was the original really worth remaking? A remake only makes sense when you're certain you can improve upon the original. I see ZERO evidence of that here. Why don't they just re-release remastered originals instead of remaking them? If you'd already seen the original, then I doubt you'd go and see the remake anyway (I know I won't). This would surely save a lot dollars (basically pure profit), and probably be a whole lot better.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:40 pm
Second Unit Director

It's dumb that they make Murphy become Robocop due to a car bombing gone bad than being viciously gunned down.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
It's dumb that they make Murphy become Robocop due to a car bombing gone bad than being viciously gunned down.

Eh, I don't really see how that's "dumb"

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:13 am