Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Ender's Game Boycott 
Assistant Director

Post Ender's Game Boycott
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Think James will write about the lgbt boycott of the movie due to rosin Scott cards anti lgbt views?

Personally I'd love to know his thoughts about boycotting a movie based on one persons actions, or in this case, their deeply held beliefs. And how he thinks it will affect the film. Especially since he's a gay rights supporter.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: Enders game boycott
I think boycotting in general is inherently silly. And movies are different books. Plus, making a movie, especially a big movie like Ender's Game, takes hundreds of people both behind and in front of the camera. I don't think it would be fair to them.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:09 pm
Director

I'm not going to see this in the theater because it doesn't look like it is worth the money. But it also doesn't look like an anti-gay movie, so a boycott doesn't seem necessary.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:07 pm
Producer

I'll see it. The book came out long before Card became obnoxious and I liked it. As long as the movie doesn't reflect his current bigotry, I have no problem with it.

Besides, it has Abigail Breslin, who can do no wrong, and there's always hope they may film Speaker for the Dead, which is the sequel to Ender's Game and a much richer novel (as well as being fascinating biologically). Card's written quite a few good books; it's too bad he's turned into a prick.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:09 am
Auteur

I'm not going to let an asshole like Scott ruin the film for me, me and my mom are both excited to see this film next week regardless of whatever asinine things come out of his mouth.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:14 am
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I'll see it. The book came out long before Card became obnoxious and I liked it. As long as the movie doesn't reflect his current bigotry, I have no problem with it.

Besides, it has Abigail Breslin, who can do no wrong, and there's always hope they may film Speaker for the Dead, which is the sequel to Ender's Game and a much richer novel (as well as being fascinating biologically). Card's written quite a few good books; it's too bad he's turned into a prick.

This. I love both of the books, Speaker for the Dead especially. Although, I know they did it with Hunger Game, but I really can't see how they will keep that PG-13 without reducing the impact of the book. I have read it once a long time ago, but still remember some wince-inducing passage.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:21 am
Producer

To the best of my knowledge, Card's worst crime is harboring some rather nasty opinions. I don't care for those opinions, but in the grand scheme, we've all tolerated far worse from our artists and entertainers.

I'm more concerned by the commodified nature of the entertainment industry, which has victimized more people than an outspoken turd like Card could ever possibly hope to do. Alas, this is one of many unfortunate examples of the public getting its priorities crooked. The real bastards almost invariably aren't the ones who tell the stories.

I like the book and have modest hopes for the movie. It has a good cast, at the very least.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:05 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

What seems to be missing in this discussion, and worth pointing out, is that Orson Scott Card is a practicing Mormon. In fact, not only a practicing Mormon, but the great-great-grandson of Brigham Young, one of the early leaders of the Mormon movement who was instrumental in the settlement of Utah (his other great-grandfather, Charles Ora Card, founded the first Mormon colony in Canada, Cardston, Alberta).

Given that background, and given Mormon teachings on homosexuality, it shouldn't be all that surprising that Card holds the views he has. One could even argue that he's only being consistent with the teachings of his faith, and he's only been more outspoken and direct about it than most of his fellow Mormons.

Now just to be clear, I am not condoning his views (for the sake of disclosure, I'm an atheist and secular humanist, and my opinions about the LDS church and Mormons is the same as that of all other religions). I am merely stating that his views on homosexuality is the same view held by Mormons in general.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:08 am
Producer

The Mormon Church is responsible for astroturfing a lot of anti-LGBT* causes, true enough. But I also view Card as a responsible party in his own right for choosing to act as a mouthpiece, if that is in fact what he's doing.

-

*I prefer the much catchier acronym "QUILTBAG".

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:17 pm
Critic

Boycotting a movie because it's based on a book from an author who espouses anti-gay beliefs? Pfffffft. Has anyone read the book? At times, they're ragingly homoerotic. NAKED SHOWER FIGHT SCENE! Hope they film that one and dedicate it to Uncle Orson

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:44 pm
Producer

Post Re: Ender's Game Boycott
Homophobes generally love homoeroticism. Weird, huh?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:

Yes, studies have shown that some of the vocally anti-gay people ironically happen to be gay themselves.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:55 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

Yes, studies have shown that some of the vocally anti-gay people ironically happen to be gay themselves.

Or perhaps unironically. Perhaps fittingly

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:17 pm