Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Change in advertising tactics at the movies. 
Cinematographer

Post Change in advertising tactics at the movies.
One thing that I noticed when I went to see Pacific Rim was that the flood of commercials that come before the trailers started before the listed time for the showing I attended. The commercials ended right at the listed time, so all we had to watch before the film itself were the trailers for other movies (and there were only 3 of those, surprisingly enough). I rather like this new format, as it saves the film audience time, especially since the number of commercials being shown has steadily increased.

I am curious as well: has anyone else noticed this at their local theaters? If this is a new trend in theater advertising, then good for them, seriously.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am
Auteur

Post Re: Change in advertising tactics at the movies.
I did notice that my local theater had fewer trailers before the film then it usually did.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm
Producer

You know, I did arrive at a screening* about a minute after the posted time recently and the trailers had already started. I didn't think anything of it until you mentioned it.

*Man of Steel.**

**The third of four.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm
Cinematographer

I'll have to look out for this during my next trip to the theater (probably Pacific Rim in the next few days). I don't remember any significant changes when I went to see Man Of Steel last month, but any kind of change at this point is going to be for the better. I hate it when the actual film starts up 30 minutes past its scheduled time because of 10 minutes of ads and 20 minutes of previews.

It might all depend on the preshow policies of specific theater chains. In Arizona, AMC Theatres take forever to get the movie started, while Harkins Theatres are usually more efficient.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Marcus and Cinemark are generally pretty good, they have ads before the scheduled start time and then previews begin, sometimes you get 6 or 7 previews, but last night there only like 3-4(I came in part way through the previews, so i'm not sure exactly how many there were)

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:35 pm
Director

Frank Theaters is usually good. They show maybe 2 or 3 trailers. Regal on the other hand runs maybe 20 minutes of em.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:48 pm
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Regal on the other hand runs maybe 20 minutes of em.

Yeah, that I can confirm as well. Though they only start to play ads 5 minutes before showtime. And then when the time comes, then it's the trailers.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:12 pm