Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Worthy Remakes! 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Worthy Remakes!
Thief12 wrote:

The 12 Angry Men remake for TV was pretty good. It was actually the first version I saw back in the 90's when I was a teen. I came to see the original for the first time a couple of years ago.

Any film with George C Scot and Jack Lemmon would deserve to included in any top remake list.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:49 pm
Director

p604 wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

The 12 Angry Men remake for TV was pretty good. It was actually the first version I saw back in the 90's when I was a teen. I came to see the original for the first time a couple of years ago.

Any film with George C Scot and Jack Lemmon would deserve to included in any top remake list.

Based on a play, so it's an alternate adaptation. :ugeek:

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:17 pm
Director

Quote:
I was going to mention that we should stick with just remakes and not list any alternate adaptations, i.e. "The Maltese Falcon," "The Manchurian Candidate," "War of the Worlds," "True Grit," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," the numerous versions of "Oliver Twist," "Pride and Prejudice," etc.

The 2004 version of Manchurian Candidate's opening credits say based on the novel AND the screenplay for the 1962 film. Sounds like a remake to me.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:14 am
Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
I was going to mention that we should stick with just remakes and not list any alternate adaptations, i.e. "The Maltese Falcon," "The Manchurian Candidate," "War of the Worlds," "True Grit," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," the numerous versions of "Oliver Twist," "Pride and Prejudice," etc.

The 2004 version of Manchurian Candidate's opening credits say based on the novel AND the screenplay for the 1962 film. Sounds like a remake to me.

Same thing with the 2011 Straw Dogs. The credits said it was inspired by both Sam Peckinpah's film and the novel it was based on. I never read the novel. But I heard that the couple in it had a child. If they wanted to re-interpret the source material rather than remake Peckinpah's film, that would have been included.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 am
Cinematographer

I really don't see a way to make the distinction. There are always going to be changes in how the plot unfolds from original to remake, but I don't think that makes them any less of a "remake".

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:56 am
Profile WWW