Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:15 am

The Talented Mr Ripley - A Retrospective 
Gaffer

Post The Talented Mr Ripley - A Retrospective
I have just seen The Talented Mr Ripley for the first time.. brilliant movie! After it ended I came to reelviews to see what JamesB had to say about the movie but there is no review on here...did he take it down?? Because it seems James DID once write a review about this movie giving it a 2.5 out of 4. His relatively unfavourable review has been quoted on a few web sites...

Wikipedia Entry for the movie and Huffington Post retrospective on the movie from 2011

I wonder does James regret the review he wrote fourteen years ago and is that why it's not on reelviews anymore? Maybe he has also come around to appreciating it more as some years have gone by?

It has an all star cast featuring amongst others: Jude Law; Matt Damon; Phillip Seymor-Hoffman; Gwenyth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett. Each actor puts in great performances each with their own scene stealing moments. I thought the ending was fantastic too. James seemingly wrote that it was about 15mins too long well I certainly would not cut the final quarter hour where we see just what a tragic character Ripley is.

Ebert gave this movie a 4 out of 4. It is surely deserving of at least 3.5 out of 4... for the acting, the suspense and just how well the movie is crafted together with great pacing and editing.

I highly recommend this movie!

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:36 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Talented Mr Ripley - A Retrospective
Or, and this is the correct answer, he's just too lazy to port his review over to the new layout:

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/t/talented.html

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:56 pm
Gaffer

Post Re: The Talented Mr Ripley - A Retrospective
I had actually googled: berardinelli talented mr ripley

but I guess I just didn't see the search result... thanks for that.

Still I'm wondering if James thinks this movie has aged well and would he give it a higher rating now? I agree that Damon's acting is a bit uneven at times but there are scenes where he gets the torment and internal conflict in the character of Ripley spot on.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 pm