Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am

James Gandolfini RIP 
Auteur

Post James Gandolfini RIP
So I just heard that he died from a heart attack today(ironically I heard the news while I was watching Get Shorty), damn that sucks. So besides Sopranos, which roles of his were your favorites?

Mine are Crimson Tide, Night Falls On Manhattan, Killing Them Softly, The Juror and The Last Castle.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: James Gandolfini RIP
Guess that's going to just about do it for a Soprano's movie. The series survived the death of Nancy Marchand....doubt they could press on without Gandolfini. (To be sure they could make a feature in that universe with some of the same characters if they were desperate enough, but I doubt it would be too successful)

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Night Falls On Manhattan, Killing Them Softly

Agreed on those two. I'd also add The Man Who Wasn't There and state that he was the only wortwhile thing baout Surviving Christmas and The Mexican.

He was a very good character actor. Ironically he remained one even after Tony Soprano catapaulted him to stardom.

51? That sucks big time.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:32 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Yeah, I was reading this on Entertainment Weekly's website... right under its "top story" - John Mayer Song about Taylor Swift?

Really, EW? :roll: No respect.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:00 pm
Cinematographer

This is something that hit me in the face when I first read about it. 51 years isn't a terribly large number by today's standards, even if he was overweight for his age. I really hadn't seen him in many films or much outside of The Sopranos- the most notable roles I have in mind were in 8mm, Fallen, and Crimson Tide. It's a loss to the world of entertainment that he's gone, still. RIP, James.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 pm
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
Yeah, I was reading this on Entertainment Weekly's website... right under its "top story" - John Mayer Song about Taylor Swift?

Really, EW? :roll: No respect.

It's EW- is that really shocking?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:12 pm
Director

Just heard about this. Man, that was a shock.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:34 pm
Yeah, just heard about James Gandolfini's death. He was exactly my age (born 1961). And what a fantastic actor he was.

Loved him in "Terminal Velocity", "8mm" (awesome!), and of course in the tv show: "The Sopranos". Damn what a fine actor we just lost....I would have loved seeing him more on the big screen.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 pm
Producer

I actually enjoyed Surviving Christmas.

I've never actually seen The Sopranos. But he was excellent in Welcome to the Riley's, The Mexican, The Last Castle, A Civil Action and Crimson Tide.

Great actor, definitely sad news.

RIP :(

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:24 am
Producer

Wow, what a shocker. Tony Soprano is one of only a handful of performances ever that has made me think the Oscars could nominate TV actors (the others being Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad, and Peter Krause in 6 Feet Under.

51 is no age at all.

RIP

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:40 am
Cinematographer

Such a bummer. He'll obviously be remembered as Tony Soprano, and rightfully so. I thought he was the best part of both The Mexican and Killing Them Softly. I also enjoyed him as the brutal woman beating hitman in True Romance. And everything about In The Loop is fantastic.

Such a great character actor who got famous relatively late for playing Tony. Sad news indeed.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'm familiar with James Gandolfini's work in a number of different films and of course his iconic performance in the Sopranos. He was a great character actor and died far too young at only 51. Sad news indeed, and he will be sorely missed.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 am
Director

Honestly, his nasally voice always kind of annoyed me, but there was no denying his talent. R.I.P.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 pm
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Honestly, his nasally voice always kind of annoyed me, but there was no denying his talent. R.I.P.

Well I always thought his voice (the slightly high pitched and "rhinitis - plagued" speech pattern) was part of his schtick. He was the only good thing in the otherwise awful "Terminal Velocity". First time I saw this flick in the mid 90s I thought: "Wow, now there's a real actor - check that nasty, phony sincere smile - please more of this guy!!!!"

R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 pm