Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 am

Gravity (2013) 
Director

Post Re: Gravity (2013)
Quote:
Obviously the use of 3D alone does not take the place of good characters or good stories - but then who would argue that the use of Technicolor in the '30s, or wide-screen formats in the '50s, or computer-generated imagery in the '90s was intended to replace good storytelling?

Was there a surcharge for technicolor?

Quote:
Film is an experiential medium. Its main advantage over other forms of delivering narrative fiction is that it can engage your senses much more directly.

I agree. But that doesn't mean a movie should be judged on that basis. That's just something that cinema is. To judge a movie for reasons related to that is too broad. That's what cinema is without the story. That's what it was before they started using it to tell stories, in the 1890s. The whole point of what came after that was to make movies more complex. As if to say, "okay, we know it's experiential...now what?" Griffith, Chaplin, Murnau, Eisenstein, and hundreds after them answered that question in an infinite number of ways, story generally being at the crux of it all. What Cuaron's movie says to me is, "forget all those guys...it's the 1890s again...just be amazed by what you see." To me, that doesn't represent pure cinema so much as a kind of anti-intellectual neo-primitivism. The "year zero" mentality once again.

However, I will say that if I were to judge a movie on that basis, Gravity would still fall short. I agree that otherwordly imagery works wonders sometimes, but Cuaron's imagery didn't do much for me. Nothing I haven't seen in a half dozen better space movies. Wrath of Khan, 2001, Empire Strikes Back, Event Horizon, and even Man of Steel transported me. With Gravity, I just felt I was inside a big theater. Having some mild fun in a theater, but definitely not immersed or transported. It's better than Avatar for sure, but that's not exactly hard.

Quote:
The Godfather does very well at putting you in "the family". It's how we get perpsective of Michael's corruption.

Yes, and Coppola got the job done in 2D. His camera movements are never ornamental in the slightest, yet the movie is beyond immersive. That's because the immersion comes from the story. The greatest thing about The Godfather's visuals is that they're consistent and never jar you out of the story.

A movie needs something beyond a basic premise. Otherwise, it's just treading water. See how Bullock calls out to Clooney after she knows he's long gone. Then after another scene or two, she's STILL calling out to Clooney. I mean, I could suspend my disbelief and say that her character just isn't willing to accept what happened. But it's pretty clear to me that Cuaron and his son just couldn't come up with any other direction for the story to go in. Compare it to the efficiency of Tim Robbins' death in Mission to Mars (love how Gravity fans avoid all mention of that film even though Cuaron borrows from it liberally to no end). He dies, his wife is sad, there's dramatic music, and then...the movie actually just moves on. Which is what stories that move are supposed to do.

The purpose of critics used to be to promote movies that otherwise might go unseen or underappreciated. Now it seems like every critic thinks of himself as a John Hancock. They just want you to know that when the latest "instant classic" was being born, they were there rubbing their footprint into the cement.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:15 am
Assistant Director

Post Re: Gravity (2013)
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Obviously the use of 3D alone does not take the place of good characters or good stories - but then who would argue that the use of Technicolor in the '30s, or wide-screen formats in the '50s, or computer-generated imagery in the '90s was intended to replace good storytelling?

Was there a surcharge for technicolor?

Surcharge for latest development in Cinema are very antique. In regarding to the very first colour films :

Quote:
George Méliès offered hand-painted prints of his own films at an additional cost over the black-and-white versions, including the visual-effects pioneering A Trip to the Moon (1902). The film had various parts of the film painted frame-by-frame by twenty-one women in Montreuil in a production-line method.

In regarding to nowadays 3D technology. From the Villages Cinema (Australia) website

Quote:
3D cinema is the way of the future and the latest development in cinema technology. At time of printing, there are over 100 3D films in production and due for release over the next 2 or 3 years. This small surcharge assists us in offsetting the cost of installing our 2K digital projectors into ALL locations so you can have a digital 3D cinema near you.

The surcharge is even bigger if we are referring to IMAX 3D.

Now at the end is your choice and with your choice you pay less or nothing

IMAX 3D ?
3D in the conventional cinema ?
2D in the conventional cinema ?
Rent it ?
See it eventually in free air TV ?

However while you try to play down the benefits of the 3D technology, in the other hand, I try to play it up to see if it becomes even more popular to the point that maybe one day I will see an IMAX cinema in Hobart and I do not have to travel to Melbourne or Sydney lol. At the very end , it will be in the hands of passionate film makers and their use of this technology with a truly believe to be adding entertainment value like in this movie Gravity :-)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:40 am
Profile WWW