New Coen Bros Film wins Grand Prix at Cannes 
Director

Post New Coen Bros Film wins Grand Prix at Cannes
"Inside Llewyn Davis"

here's the trailer(comes out in Dec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4GGOXkY5CI

from the variety review:

Quote:
The sounds of the early 1960s folk music revival float on the air like a strange, intoxicating perfume in the Coen brothers’ “Inside Llewyn Davis,” a boldly original, highly emotional journey through Greenwich Village nightclubs, a bleak New York winter, and one man’s fraught efforts to reconcile his life and his art. A product of the same deeply personal end of the Coens’ filmmaking spectrum previously responsible for the likes of “Barton Fink” and “A Serious Man,” this darkly comic musical drama with an elliptical narrative and often brusque protagonist won’t corral the same mass audience as “No Country for Old Men” and “True Grit.” But strong reviews — for the pic itself and its stupendous soundtrack — should make this December release an awards-season success for distrib CBS Films.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/ca ... imberlake/

Sun May 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Producer

Post Re: New Coen Bros Film wins Grand Prix at Cannes
Sounds exciting. "Elliptical narrative" and "brusque protagonist" makes me think that the author specifically name-checked Barton Fink and A Serious Man (instead of a number of other possible Coen titles) for a reason.

I can get behind that. As much as I love most of their movies, it's their weirder, perhaps more inscrutable stuff that really turns my crank. If you know what I mean.

Sun May 26, 2013 7:12 pm
Producer

Post Re: New Coen Bros Film wins Grand Prix at Cannes
The Palme D'Or went to Blue Is the Warmest Color, which is about the sexual awakening of a 15-year old lesbian. Apparently pretty explicit, which may cause problems in America's heartland. It's directed by the guy who directed "The Secret of the Grain," which managed to contain five hour-long sequences in a movie that's two and a half hours long. In other words, the director has pacing problems.

As for the Coen Brothers film, references to "A Serious Man" and "Barton Fink" worry me a bit since those are pretty esoteric, but all the reviews are very positive.

Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 pm