Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Ender's Game 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Ender's Game
Statement from Lions Gate:

Quote:
“As proud longtime supporters of the LGBT community, champions of films ranging from GODS AND MONSTERS to THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER and a Company that is proud to have recognized same-sex unions and domestic partnerships within its employee benefits policies for many years, we obviously do not agree with the personal views of Orson Scott Card and those of the National Organization for Marriage. However, they are completely irrelevant to a discussion of ENDER’S GAME. The simple fact is that neither the underlying book nor the film itself reflect these views in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, the film not only transports viewers to an entertaining and action-filled world, but it does so with positive and inspiring characters who ultimately deliver an ennobling and life-affirming message. Lionsgate will continue its longstanding commitment to the LGBT community by exploring new ways we can support LGBT causes and, as part of this ongoing process, will host a benefit premiere for ENDER’S GAME.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/12/lionsgate-orson-scott-card-controversy/

Typical PR stuff, yeah, but very well played. And they are right - the book and, presumably the film, is rich with life-affirming themes that can be shared by all people IMO.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 pm
Producer

Well, the book's combat philosophy is pretty bloodthirsty, so I'm not sure how much of the "life-affirming" element counts on balance, but their larger point that the book has no particular homophobic undertones is sound.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 am
Director

Card may be an asshole. But I still check out the movie if it looks good. Roman Polanski's a douchebag. But I like certain films of his.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Well, the book's combat philosophy is pretty bloodthirsty, so I'm not sure how much of the "life-affirming" element counts on balance, but their larger point that the book has no particular homophobic undertones is sound.

Agreed. As for my comment, I was mostly referring to the ending.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 am