Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:34 am

Ranking the Star Trek Films 
Auteur

Post Re: Ranking the Star Trek Films
Bones wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Why did Master and Commander make it in?

I guess it's not so much that Master and Commander is a Star Trek movie as it is that Master and Commander and Star Trek are all Lord Cochrane movies. They play with similar themes and archetypes. As far as hitting all the main Star Trek benchmarks, Master and Commander does a better job than any actual Trek movie (other than Khan). J. J. Abrams said in doing Star Trek 2009 that he used Star Wars as a sort of model or guide. Whoever takes over for III should strongly consider using Master and Commander as a model. So I tend to mentally slot it in whenever ranking Star Trek movies.

I thought Master and Commander sucked, so I really hope no one uses that film for a model of anything.

Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Bones wrote:
GREAT

1. Wrath of Khan - Best possible Star Trek movie. A nearly perfect adventure movie. Also gets in some really good thematic stuff: the aging, the sacrifice, the facing the death, etc. J. J. Abrams can crank Star Trek up to 11 all he wants, but he's never going to touch "I don't like to lose [CHOMP] [MUSIC SWELL]" for sheer badassery.

(1a. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World)

2. The Voyage Home - When I haven't seen it for a while, it tends to drop a little in my estimation. Then I watch it again--and it just really really works. Also, yes, still the funniest Trek.

(2a. Galaxy Quest - OK, no, this is the funniest Trek. And also works really well when it does the straight-forward-Trek stuff.)

VERY GOOD.

3. Star Trek (2009) - A pretty great adventure movie. Kirk eating the apple during the Kobayashi Maru is pretty much the greatest thing ever--at least until Nimoy's entrance. And "a trick I learned from an old friend [MUSIC SWELL]" is a solid 9.0 on the Scale of Awesome Star Trek Moments. Still irks me that Kirk became the Captain so quickly. Especially when I re-watch the series and hear references to his years as a Lieutenant. Here's rooting for a subplot in Star Trek 3 where some 20-year lieutenant quietly stews between shifts and plots the baby-captain's demise.

4. First Contact - Hasn't aged all that well, but still a good Trek adventure, and the Ahab stuff mostly works. Still, you really need to know these characters well beforehand if you're going to understand everything.

GOOD.

6. The Undiscovered Country - A little heavy-handed with the Shakespeare stuff (Chang basically has no original dialog), but as Manchurian Candidate In Space, it mostly works.

7. Into Darkness - I'll definitely need to see it again, but while the action stuff was all pretty good, some of the shoe-horned WOK references didn't quite gel for me. The villain felt like a lost opportunity, as well.

FINE, I SUPPOSE.

8. Insurrection - I've only seen it once, and can't remember much, but I remember it being a pleasant enough two-parter.

UGH.

9. Generations

10. Nemesis

11. Whatever The Subtitle of V Is - When I first saw it as a kid, I really liked the Row Your Boat scene. Kids are stupid.

What's #5? ST I?

Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
Bones wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Why did Master and Commander make it in?

I guess it's not so much that Master and Commander is a Star Trek movie as it is that Master and Commander and Star Trek are all Lord Cochrane movies. They play with similar themes and archetypes. As far as hitting all the main Star Trek benchmarks, Master and Commander does a better job than any actual Trek movie (other than Khan). J. J. Abrams said in doing Star Trek 2009 that he used Star Wars as a sort of model or guide. Whoever takes over for III should strongly consider using Master and Commander as a model. So I tend to mentally slot it in whenever ranking Star Trek movies.

I thought Master and Commander sucked, so I really hope no one uses that film for a model of anything.

I find Master and Commander unimpeachably excellent.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:14 pm
Producer

To me, Master and Commander was decent. Not great, but by no means bad. The acting is good, especially by a commanding Russell Crowe, and it's a great looking movie. But I was never truly engaged in it. But it's perfectly okay. Probably my least favorite movie from Peter Weir, which just goes to show you what an amazing director he is.

Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 pm
Director

I grew up a 'Trekkie' I guess(never dressed up, never read a Trek book, never went to a convention. weird that anyone who just said they liked Star Trek in the 80s/90s, was assumed to be the nerdiest of nerds who couldn't get laid. To me it was no different than being a James Bond fan. I liked lots of movies & tv shows as a kid, this was just one of them)

Saw every Trek movie in the theater from 3 on. Saw every episode of TOS & TNG(probably more than once)Have probably seen Khan like 30 times(most viewings were on a VHS tape circa 1984)
So no offense, I don't think those that never saw a Trek(or the show) prior to the reboot can really rate Trek well. same with Bond & Craig/Brosnan to some degree.

1. ST2: The Wrath of Khan
2. ST4: The Voyage Home
3. ST8: First Contact
4. ST11: Star Trek
5. ST6: The Undiscovered Country
6. ST3: The Search for Spock
7. ST7: Generations
8. ST9: Insurrection
9. ST1: The Motion Picture
10. ST5: The Final Frontier
11. ST12: Into Darkness
12. ST10: Nemesis(I last saw this in '03, don't really remember much about it)

looking forward to Unke's thoughts on Into Darkness

Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm
Cinematographer

The ones I've seen:

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3. Star Trek (2009)
4. Star Trek: First Contact
5. Star Trek Into Darkness
6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

There are a lot of gaps there; I'm not a diehard Trek fan, and so it's been easy to avoid most of the bad entries. I suppose I do need to see The Undiscovered Country at some point though.

Thu May 23, 2013 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
The ones I've seen:

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3. Star Trek (2009)
4. Star Trek: First Contact
5. Star Trek Into Darkness
6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

There are a lot of gaps there; I'm not a diehard Trek fan, and so it's been easy to avoid most of the bad entries. I suppose I do need to see The Undiscovered Country at some point though.

Definitely see it -- it's a good film.

On a different note, if we're putting Master and Commander into the lists, then I'm slotting Galaxy Quest in at number 3.

Thu May 23, 2013 3:42 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
I grew up a 'Trekkie' I guess(never dressed up, never read a Trek book, never went to a convention. weird that anyone who just said they liked Star Trek in the 80s/90s, was assumed to be the nerdiest of nerds who couldn't get laid. To me it was no different than being a James Bond fan. I liked lots of movies & tv shows as a kid, this was just one of them)

Saw every Trek movie in the theater from 3 on. Saw every episode of TOS & TNG(probably more than once)Have probably seen Khan like 30 times(most viewings were on a VHS tape circa 1984)
So no offense, I don't think those that never saw a Trek(or the show) prior to the reboot can really rate Trek well. same with Bond & Craig/Brosnan to some degree.

1. ST2: The Wrath of Khan
2. ST4: The Voyage Home
3. ST8: First Contact
4. ST11: Star Trek
5. ST6: The Undiscovered Country
6. ST3: The Search for Spock
7. ST7: Generations
8. ST9: Insurrection
9. ST1: The Motion Picture
10. ST5: The Final Frontier
11. ST12: Into Darkness
12. ST10: Nemesis(I last saw this in '03, don't really remember much about it)

looking forward to Unke's thoughts on Into Darkness

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie in the first place, but it'll be hard to make time for a visit to the cinema. Might have to wait for the DVD release, which is a shame because it is my most anticipated movie of the year. Although your placing of 'Into Darkness' as second from bottom, even below bloody 'Final Frontier' has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat. Is it that bad? (I have tried to avoid reviews for fear of spoilers)

Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 am
Second Unit Director

I'm slotting Into Darkness 5th, just ahead of its predecessor, so new ranking:

1. First Contact
2. The Wrath of Khan
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. Generations
5. Into Darkness
6. Star Trek
7. Insurrection
8. The Voyage Home
9. The Search for Spock
10. Nemesis
11. The Motion Picture
12. The Final Frontier

Sat May 25, 2013 11:49 am
Director

Having just seen Into Darkness time for a new ranking.

The Great:
The Wrath Of Khan
The Voyage Home
The Undiscovered COuntry
First Contact

The Pretty Good
Into Darkness (the best of these)
Star Trek

The Merely Okay
Search For Spock
Insurrection

The Dreck
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The Final Frontier
Generations
Nemesis

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat May 25, 2013 3:07 pm
Producer

1) The Wrath of Khan: a great story, a great villain, great themes (rejuvenation vs. revenge), and simply a joy to watch. Also Kirstie Alley in her best performance. I like pretty much everything about this movie.
2) The Undiscovered Country. I have to see this and "First Contact" again to see which holds up better.
3) First Contact
4) Into Darkness
5) The Voyage Home
6) Star Trek the Reboot
7) Star Trek the Motion Picture. I rather like this, though it is slow moving and everyone's wearing Dr. Denton's. ("Wrath of Khan" has the best uniforms.)
8) The Search for Spook (I'm still mad at them for destroying the Genesis planet, which ruined a major theme of Wrath of Khan. Outside of that, I don't hate the movie. I missed Kirstie Alley.)
9) (Nemesis: in parentheses since, although I undoubtedly saw it, I can't remember a thing about it, even after reading a synopsis).
10) Generations
11) Insurrection (just seems tired)
12) The Final Frontier (simply an awful movie--how did the crew get so much younger for the next film?)

Sat May 25, 2013 10:27 pm