Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Director

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
A few more.

I alwasy preferred the New German Cinema over the French New Wave. Give me Truffaut and Werner Fassbender over Godard anyday.

Aside from maybe The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Judd Apatow's films are like after-school specials with dick jokes.

Truffaut is French New Wave.

Agreed about Apatow. Haven't seen one yet that's really impressed me

I meant Herzog. Truffaut is my favorite of the French New Wave directors. Godard I like Breathless and Contempt. After that there's a major drop-off.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat May 11, 2013 10:20 am
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is nowhere near as hilarious as a lot of people seem to think it is.

To someone with Greek blood...like me. My Big Fat Greek Wedding still isn't a comedy, it's a chillingly realistic documentary

Also, the more I see the first two Spider-Man movies by Sam Raimi, the more I think he was utterly the wrong choice to do them. His comedic sensibilities and actual good performances are at constant war with each other which kinda cancels each other out

Sat May 11, 2013 10:32 am
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Earlier I stated that I find Unbreakable to be better than The Sixth Sense. I also enjoy the much maligned The Village more.

Demolition Man is a very funny parody of dystopian future sci-fi movies.

Good Will Hunting is good not great and the basic story is more conventional than some people seem to realize. Also, Robin Williams was pretty pro forma in that movie and should not have beaten Burt Reynolds at the Oscars.

Moulin Rouge is way better than Chicago, Across The Universe, Mamma Mia and Rock Of Ages.

The Rock is Michael Bay's best movie.

Dazed And Confused is the best high school movie of all-time.

Boogie Nights was the best movie of 1997 (I know most people pick The Sweet Hereafter and it's good).

I generally prefer Richard Linklater's work over Steven Sodervergh's. I find it to be edgier, more genuinely challenging and less journeyman than a lot of his recent stuff.

Sean wrote:
8. Dreamgirls and Les Mis are dreadful musicals

While I liked Dreamgirls enough to include it on my best of 2006 list, in some ways I feel it did get a tad overpraised at the time. Les Miserables was a letdown. While we're on the subject I actually liked Idlewild better than Dreamgirls.

I find Soderbergh to be rather hit and miss, Side Effects was throughly mediocre and had very predictable twists, Magic Mike was half-assed and unremerkable in every way, Contagion was just dull and uninvolving, I think Haywire is one of this best films.

I remember you saying that Side Effects looked mediocre prior to even seeing it. Confirmation bias, perhaps?

I can't see how anyone could say that the twists were predictable. They were actually quite inventive, in my opinion. For me, Side Effects remains the only quality wide release of the year so far. And that was three months ago.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 am
Auteur

Well I've seen a lot of thrillers and horror films, more then most people on here, some of which had similar twists to the ones in Side Effects, so they weren't exactly "inventive" in my eyes and it wasn't hard for me to figure out what direction the film was going in, there was nothing "high-quality" about that film, the actors all looked like they solely signed on to the film to get a nice paycheck, I thought at least the cast would give decent performances, but they were all pretty dissapointing, I hope Soderbergh dosen't retire(and I kinda doubt it'll last) because this is a rather poor film to end his career with, so far it's the worst film of 2013 that i've seen.

I do not believe Crash did well at what it set out to do, it was WAY too heavy-handed, so much so that it failed to come across a realistic and just looked downright laughable, it was difficult to take any of the situations in that film seriously, that film is just begging for a Rifftrax treatment

Speaking of Kevin Smith, I never cared for Clerks much, I think the sequel is better.

I thought A Good Day To Die Hard was actually a pretty good sequel.

I'm not that big on Kubrick, I simply do not care for 2001 A Space Odyssey at all, I don't think a film should have to seen multiple times to enjoy it, I think a truly good film you should be able to enjoy the first time you see it.

I don't particularly like Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby or The Shining, none of them were scary for me and they were too long for their own good. The Friday The 13th remake is better then people give it credit for, also part 8 is one of my favorite entries in the series.

I HATED A Christmas Story, didn't find it charming or cute in the least.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:32 pm
Assistant Director

Much like Sean, I tend to go with the grain a lot, but that doesn't mean I just blindly follow the critics. I just like intelligent movies and enjoy looking for meaning in things. You can thank (or blame) the private middle school I went to all those years ago for laying the foundation.

A few exceptions....

Richard Linklater's Waking Life did not work for me at all. No story. Just a bunch of philosophical babbling at breakneck speed. Turned it off 30 minutes in. Consider it the exception to my "smart movies" rule.

I liked 21 Grams but it's far from the past decade's best. I saw no real reason why the story was told in random order.

God help me, but I laughed a lot during Step Brothers. Boats and hoes! :lol:

Bridesmaids had some laughs in it, but I'm a little puzzled by the love it received. Starts out black and edgy but ends up like any typical Hollywood romantic comedy by the end.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Much like Sean, I tend to go with the grain a lot, but that doesn't mean I just blindly follow the critics. I just like intelligent movies and enjoy looking for meaning in things. You can thank (or blame) the private middle school I went to all those years ago for laying the foundation.

A few exceptions....

Richard Linklater's Waking Life did not work for me at all. No story. Just a bunch of philosophical babbling at breakneck speed. Turned it off 30 minutes in. Consider it the exception to my "smart movies" rule.

I liked 21 Grams but it's far from the past decade's best. I saw no real reason why the story was told in random order.

God help me, but I laughed a lot during Step Brothers. Boats and hoes! :lol:

Bridesmaids had some laughs in it, but I'm a little puzzled by the love it received. Starts out black and edgy but ends up like any typical Hollywood romantic comedy by the end.

Also liked Step Brothers. I also enjoy a lot of low-rated comedies like College, Miss March, My Best Friend's Girl.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:59 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Well I've seen a lot of thrillers and horror films, more then most people on here, some of which had similar twists to the ones in Side Effects, so they weren't exactly "inventive" in my eyes and it wasn't hard for me to figure out what direction the film was going in, there was nothing "high-quality" about that film, the actors all looked like they solely signed on to the film to get a nice paycheck, I thought at least the cast would give decent performances, but they were all pretty dissapointing, I hope Soderbergh dosen't retire(and I kinda doubt it'll last) because this is a rather poor film to end his career with, so far it's the worst film of 2013 that i've seen.

I do not believe Crash did well at what it set out to do, it was WAY too heavy-handed, so much so that it failed to come across a realistic and just looked downright laughable, it was difficult to take any of the situations in that film seriously, that film is just begging for a Rifftrax treatment

Speaking of Kevin Smith, I never cared for Clerks much, I think the sequel is better.

I'm not that big on Kubrick, I simply do not care for 2001 A Space Odyssey at all, I don't think a film should have to seen multiple times to enjoy it, I think a truly good film you should be able to enjoy the first time you see it.

I don't particularly like Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby or The Shining, none of them were scary for me and they were too long for their own good. The Friday The 13th remake is better then people give it credit for, also part 8 is one of my favorite entries in the series.

Side Effects is hardly the year's worst movie. In fact, it's the year's only ambitious wide release so far. Everything else is either a gross-out comedy, a rote thriller, or an insipid blockbuster. And I can't see how any of the actors in the film signed up solely for a paycheck. For examples of that sort of laziness, see Willis in Die Hard 5, Willis and "The Rock" in G.I. Joe, and everyone involved in Movie 43.

Some other instances where I hold an unpopular opinion:

Thunderball is an egregiously mediocre Bond film.

Zero Dark Thirty is the best film of 2012, but it is also a vile, morally-reprehensible piece of propaganda.

2000, 2001, and 2002 also featured terrible Best Picture winners. The films weren't bad; they just weren't among the year's top tier.

Judd Apatow is spawning a new generation of stupid, sentimental comedies.

I cannot stand Seth Rogen.

Titanic is somewhat overrated.

Sat May 11, 2013 5:08 pm
Director

Hmmm, actually the original Die Hard is pretty cool.

Quote:

Agreed. I don't know what kind of arrogance it takes to present the concept of your movie as simply "Seth Rogen gets Katherine Heigl pregnant." A great comedy needs a sharp conceit.

I think the first Hangover is a great comedy. A perfect concept, well executed.

Quote:

Agreed. This film is all over the place and never really comes together.

I prefer Excalibur to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as far as grail searches go. Excalibur's great for a lot of reasons.

Sat May 11, 2013 6:12 pm
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:

Aside from maybe The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Judd Apatow's films are like after-school specials with dick jokes.

Every movie that involves Judd Apatow is worse than his last. His latest film is his worst film, but it won't be once he makes another.

Sat May 11, 2013 6:14 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Side Effects is hardly the year's worst movie. In fact, it's the year's only ambitious wide release so far. Everything else is either a gross-out comedy, a rote thriller, or an insipid blockbuster. And I can't see how any of the actors in the film signed up solely for a paycheck. For examples of that sort of laziness, see Willis in Die Hard 5, Willis and "The Rock" in G.I. Joe, and everyone involved in Movie 43.

Some other instances where I hold an unpopular opinion:

Thunderball is an egregiously mediocre Bond film.

Zero Dark Thirty is the best film of 2012, but it is also a vile, morally-reprehensible piece of propaganda.

2000, 2001, and 2002 also featured terrible Best Picture winners. The films weren't bad; they just weren't among the year's top tier.

I cannot stand Seth Rogen.

Titanic is somewhat overrated.

I'm sure there are worse films this year, i'm just saying it's the worst one i've seen SO FAR. I'm sorry, but I really don't see what was so "ambitious" about that film. I would much rather rewatch those films you mentioned then Side Effects, I don't think any of those actors you mentioned signed on just for the paycheck(in Movie 43's case it was because the directors kept on hassling the actors until they agreed to appear in the film). I also fail to see what's so "moraly rephensible" and "vile" about Zero Dark Thirty, ultimately the torture is shown to accomplish absolutely nothing.

Gladiator was a terrible film, how it managed to win anything is beyond me.

Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Every movie that involves Judd Apatow is worse than his last. His latest film is his worst film, but it won't be once he makes another.

I never liked Superbad much, i'll gladly watch This Is 40 over it.

Sat May 11, 2013 8:41 pm
Director

Well, I've probably said this one to death, but here it goes again :P :

- "GoodFellas" is the most overrated film of the last 30 years. "Saving Private Ryan" is a close second. They're 2 very solid but rather uninvolving dramas. I'll never understand why so many movie buffs practically orgasm over the former, and why so many bitch that the latter lost the Best Picture Oscar to "Shakespeare in Love," when it was "Elizabeth" and "The Thin Red Line" that were really robbed. :|

Etc.:

- Steven Spielberg will never be a great 'serious' dramatic filmmaker, as he too often falls back on sentimentality and other emotionally manipulative moments ("Munich" being the exception to the rule).

- Re: Michelle Williams: I totally disagree with whomever said she has no screen presence. I think she's one of the best (discovered) actresses under 35 working today -- and easily the best American actress under 35 working today.

- Re: "Side Effects": This film was an excellent commentary on how lazy many people generally are in terms of seeking the absolute truth. Most are more than willing - without question - to accept the easiest and most convenient solution/explanation that can be offered up AT THAT MOMENT... and are unlikely to ever think about it again. It also serves as a nice reminder that doing the right thing (no matter how difficult it may be -- and most of the time it is) will never come back and bite you in the ass. Ever. :P

- I think Neil LaBute's "Your Friends and Neighbors" is better than "In the Company of Men."

- "Ed Wood" is Tim Burton's most overrated film.

- Re: "Godfather II" being unnecessary: With all due respect, with the exception of "The Lord of the Rings" (and even there you can count that as one whole film divided into 3 segments), is ANY sequel/prequel absolutely 100% necessary? :|

- "Wedding Crashers" is the unfunniest movie I've ever seen (key words: have seen)... and possibly the only 'comedy' I've ever seen in which I did not laugh (or merely smile) even once.

That'll do for now.

Sat May 11, 2013 9:01 pm
Auteur

I did not care for "Precious" much, yes Mo Nique gave a great performance but ultimately I found the story a bit too narmish to have a lasting impact.

Slumdog Millionaire is thoroughly unremarkable.

Warrior was a lousy, overrated, sap-infested drama with thinly drawn characters that I could not relate to in any way.

Se7en is an immensely overrated thriller whose original ending was better then one we got(which I found predictable)

I Heart Huckabees is terrible in every single aspect

Dead Poets Society is unbearable.

Sofia Coppola's performance in Godfather 3 was actually pretty decent.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:10 am
Producer

I dare anyone who hasn't read the book to tell me what the hell was going on during the last 20 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I defy you to tell me, because to hell if I know.

Also, The Shining was boring when it wasn't laughably over the top. That may have been the point, to be over the top, but I thought it was laughable.

Sun May 12, 2013 6:26 am
Producer

The astronaut, who has just been told that he is in the presence of alien technology beyond his comprehension, is in orbit around Jupiter, then by some incredible means he is transported into a place that is somewhere else entirely, which is apparently not terrestrial but is clearly patterned upon human artifacts, where he either ages very rapidly or is kept until he has aged unto his deathbed, whereupon he is transfigured into a baby-like creature that somehow has the power to transport itself back to terrestrial space, whereupon he hovers unassisted in orbit and contemplates the Earth below.

And that's act four of 2001.

I'm reminded of this snippet from an interview with the Coen Brothers, conducted by Jim Emerson:

Quote:
Joel: "...I don't think [Barton Fink] is as difficult as some people think it is. I mean, some people come out going, `I don't get it.' And I don't quite know what they're trying to 'get,' what they're struggling for."

Ethan: "It's a weird story, but it's a fairly straightforward story that I think can be enjoyed on its own terms... Barton Fink does end up telling you what's going on to the extent that it's important to know --you know what I mean? What isn't crystal clear isn't intended to become crystal clear, and it's fine to leave it at that."

Joel: "But we have had the reaction where people leave the movie sort of uncomfortable and befuddled because of that. Although that wasn't our intention to do that. I was going to say that maybe our telling of the story wasn't as clear as it should have been, but I don't think that's true. In terms of understanding the story, it comes across. The question is: Where would it get you if something that's a little bit ambiguous in the movie is made clear? It doesn't get you anywhere."

Note: I have read the book of 2001, but I had already seen the movie several times by then. While I think I was caught unprepared the first time, I was much more engaged once I was calibrated for the movie's largely visual method of storytelling.

Sun May 12, 2013 12:40 pm
Second Unit Director

I really hated it when they stopped serving hot chocolate at the theater back in Oneonta. I assume this was an unpopular opinion as presumably if it had been popular the hot cocoa would not have been discontinued.

I didn't find The Naked Gun to be all that funny. This might have had something to do with it having both a racist and homophobic subtext. And I must be getting all sensitive because I thought the same thing about Indiana Jones. I've taken an Archeological class called Incas and their ancestors, so it was a little weird to watch the opening scene and not be able to connect it to anything I had learned in that class. And seriously, Indiana Jones is a grave robber, who sometimes moonlights as a college professor. No way is he an archeologist.
-Jeremy

Sun May 12, 2013 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Indy makes more sense if you call him an adventurer. Not only is it more accurate than "archaeologist", but it evokes a sense of old boys' pulp magazines and their quaintly outmoded vision of exotic cultures.

Part of the dynamic in The Last Crusade stems from the juxtaposition of Indy's fantastical version of archaeology and his father's more grounded, realistic version.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Indy makes more sense if you call him an adventurer. Not only is it more accurate than "archaeologist", but it evokes a sense of old boys' pulp magazines and their quaintly outmoded vision of exotic cultures.

Part of the dynamic in The Last Crusade stems from the juxtaposition of Indy's fantastical version of archaeology and his father's more grounded, realistic version.

I agree, I probably wouldn't have been bothered by this if the opening sequence hadn't struck as being so problematic with regards to race/ethnicity. I watched some of the old The Phantom serials (but gave up, not because of all the racist motifs but because it was kind of boring...) but watching Indiana Jones now, it's hard to see what had changed. The only thing that comes to mind is that Indiana Jones isn't trying to "help" the feeble savages from going to war all the time with each other but other than that, the problems were pretty much identitical (other than maybe being toned down a bit).
-Jeremy

Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:

Quote:

Agreed. This film is all over the place and never really comes together.

I don't hate it; there are some parts that I think are quite funny. But I certainly don't belong to the adoring cult that most of my friends seem to be members of. It never struck me as that good.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:34 pm
Auteur

Hoosiers is NOT a classic in any of the word, nor is "Miracle"

Savages is one of Oliver Stone's best films and the ending was pretty clever.

Sun May 12, 2013 5:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next