Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:51 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2911
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:
Avatar was hilarious, because people couldn't even agree on which previously-existing movie it was supposed to be.


I don't think we need to compare it to another film. Avatar was the ejaculation of all liberal hollywood thought on colonialism and western civilisation. It was hypocritical leftwing history for the MTV generation. Pure exploitation. I mean, that bad guy, you know, the bad Seargent - he looked like an SS Officer had mated with WWF white-trash.

Hell, that film had the deft of a hydrogen bomb - and I'm betting some of the target audience still didn't get it.

Avatar is an expensive pamphlet. It's hard to compare it with anything because it's just so concentrated.

I'm mostly liberal and left-wing and that film was far too heavy-handed and ridiculous even for me, as i'm not a huge eco-freak like Cameron(or Al Gore for that matter).


Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 237
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
You're allowed to dislike Avatar all you want, just don't reduce it to being "Dances with Wolves with blue people" or some such nonsense.


Granted, I kind of like Avatar but think that claims that it can be "reduced" to Dances With Wolves to be somewhat... valid.

I think people who claim to hate certain films (from a general perspective) because film [x] can be "reduced" or "imitates" or reflectes" the plot of film [y] can be silly and irritating because so little of our culture has ever been truly original.

But, also, I think sometimes it is worth reflecting on how certain films are alike, and that includes how their plots are alike. In short I don't think it's incorrect to talk about how the plot of films, such as Avatar, are similar to other films. It's just not the best way to go about criticizing a film for the above reason.

This isn't to say that it's okay to subjectively dislike a film because of it's similarities to another film, but too often it seems that people who say "film x is too similar to film y and therefore it's bad" seem to use similarity as some sort of objective way to evaluate a film.
-Jeremy

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
OtherBen wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
Trust me: babes are out of league for anyone but rich, successful badasses. Why do you think there are tons of photos of sweet, intelligent and pretty women smiling just beside a filthy, gross, stupid asshole, often at least 20 years older, with a confident smirk? Didn't you pay attention during high school? Sorry, no offense!


:lol:

I didn't go to a normal high school, where I went there was no "popular" or "unpopular" crowd, just a bunch of people with special needs, and none of the girls there were out of my league in any sense. I also don't see anything like that at my local college.


Well I wasn't just referring to the "popular/unpopular" thing at high school or college. I was referring to life in gereral. Sure I exaggerated to bring in some humor. Not all poeple are that predictable. But there wouldn't be so many comedies and tv sit coms about exactly that (including unfunny comedies with a clumsy nerdy guy making a fool out of himself trying to get the pretty girl, or the lame cliche where the guy wants the "prettiest" girl being blind to the one who is brighter, truly loves him and is even just as pretty if you look hard enough) if there wasn't any bit of truth in that. The same goes for the pretty, younger but braindead trophy wife. Sometimes even not braindead at all. This stuff does exist. It's biology, hormones and social pressure.

Not talking about it because it's unpopular isn't the solution - methinkz. I even think this stuff is hilarious in real life.

If you happen to hang out with people who have higher moral standards and ethics going deeper than just the surface: well that's great. I mean it.


Wed May 22, 2013 12:54 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2911
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Fortunately i've never known anyone like that personally, all the women i've known have been very down to earth and amazing to talk to. Though I will say I have met quite a few guys who were arrogant assholes that thought they were god's gife to women.

I personally enjoy those types of comedies, I find them funny because I can relate to them, i'm not nerdy but I do recall doing and saying some ridiculous things in the presence of women.


Wed May 22, 2013 1:12 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
Fortunately i've never known anyone like that personally, all the women i've known have been very down to earth and amazing to talk to. Though I will say I have met quite a few guys who were arrogant assholes that thought they were god's gife to women.

I personally enjoy those types of comedies, I find them funny because I can relate to them, i'm not nerdy but I do recall doing and saying some ridiculous things in the presence of women.


Just to sum it up: I have met, and been with, women who were amazing to talk to. Unfortunately some turned out to be celebrity chasers and gold diggers. A lot of it is social pressure (my daughter married a doctor - oh wow!) I think. Yeah, I did meet some huge arrogant assholes too - of many varieties, and even after many years they didn't mellow down.
Nah, I never was a nerd. I wasn't truly cool either, but I did hang out both with "popular" guys who weren't assholes and some more nerdy ones with just enough sense of humor so they weren't depressingly self-loathing.

Anyway: I did see a few of the "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Hitch", "The 40 Year Old Virgin" etc. type of comedy (if these are what we both are referring to). The only way I can enjoy them is when the protagoniost (or butt of the joke) is really funny. I usually stay clear now of Ben Stiller (who seems to have the wrong idea that he is a hunk), Adam Sandler and Kevin James (gross) - I simply don't find them funny in this sort of thing. Just embarrassing. Actors like Jason Segel and Steve Carell are fine for me because they can both be funny and likeable. But that's my opinion.


Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2911
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Fortunately i've never known anyone like that personally, all the women i've known have been very down to earth and amazing to talk to. Though I will say I have met quite a few guys who were arrogant assholes that thought they were god's gife to women.

I personally enjoy those types of comedies, I find them funny because I can relate to them, i'm not nerdy but I do recall doing and saying some ridiculous things in the presence of women.


Just to sum it up: I have met, and been with, women who were amazing to talk to. Unfortunately some turned out to be celebrity chasers and gold diggers. A lot of it is social pressure (my daughter married a doctor - oh wow!) I think. Yeah, I did meet some huge arrogant assholes too - of many varieties, and even after many years they didn't mellow down.
Nah, I never was a nerd. I wasn't truly cool either, but I did hang out both with "popular" guys who weren't assholes and some more nerdy ones with just enough sense of humor so they weren't depressingly self-loathing.

Anyway: I did see a few of the "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Hitch", "The 40 Year Old Virgin" etc. type of comedy (if these are what we both are referring to). The only way I can enjoy them is when the protagoniost (or butt of the joke) is really funny. I usually stay clear now of Ben Stiller (who seems to have the wrong idea that he is a hunk), Adam Sandler and Kevin James (gross) - I simply don't find them funny in this sort of thing. Just embarrassing. Actors like Jason Segel and Steve Carell are fine for me because they can both be funny and likeable. But that's my opinion.

Segel and Carrel are OK, but neither of them really strike me as all that funny(never liked Carrel on The Office, his character was not interesting IMO) Stiller makes me laugh my ass off(don't really see how he thinks of himself as a hunk) as does Sandler, and I can relate to James's characters particularly well(who usually suffer from a lack of identity and/or self-confidence, which i've gone through myself, I also don't think he's "gross" though). One actor who I usually find very off-putting is Hugh Grant, he's not the least bit charming or likeable, he just irritates the hell out of me.


Wed May 22, 2013 2:13 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 175
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:
Avatar was hilarious, because people couldn't even agree on which previously-existing movie it was supposed to be.


I don't think we need to compare it to another film. Avatar was the ejaculation of all liberal hollywood thought on colonialism and western civilisation. It was hypocritical leftwing history for the MTV generation. Pure exploitation. I mean, that bad guy, you know, the bad Seargent - he looked like an SS Officer had mated with WWF white-trash.

Hell, that film had the deft of a hydrogen bomb - and I'm betting some of the target audience still didn't get it.

Avatar is an expensive pamphlet. It's hard to compare it with anything because it's just so concentrated.

I'm mostly liberal and left-wing and that film was far too heavy-handed and ridiculous even for me, as i'm not a huge eco-freak like Cameron(or Al Gore for that matter).


I also have some heavy left political leanings, and i had some issues with the movie too. So it's not an entirely conservative thing. My biggest issue was the whole "white messiah" thing they had going on... meh.


Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1539
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Taleswapper wrote:


I also have some heavy left political leanings, and i had some issues with the movie too. So it's not an entirely conservative thing. My biggest issue was the whole "white messiah" thing they had going on... meh.


Avatar is what I call a "white savior" film, in which a supposedly "lower" race is redeemed by the presence of a white man. So in that way it is a lot like Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai, etc.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2911
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:


I also have some heavy left political leanings, and i had some issues with the movie too. So it's not an entirely conservative thing. My biggest issue was the whole "white messiah" thing they had going on... meh.


Avatar is what I call a "white savior" film, in which a supposedly "lower" race is redeemed by the presence of a white man. So in that way it is a lot like Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai, etc.

Not to mention it gives the military an extremely one-dimensional portrayal, I don't get why everyone raves about Quattrel, I thought he was a pretty boring bad guy.


Wed May 22, 2013 4:01 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:


I also have some heavy left political leanings, and i had some issues with the movie too. So it's not an entirely conservative thing. My biggest issue was the whole "white messiah" thing they had going on... meh.


Avatar is what I call a "white savior" film, in which a supposedly "lower" race is redeemed by the presence of a white man. So in that way it is a lot like Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai, etc.


I think people who took this reading missed something -- Jake's whole plan fails. The rebellion he leads is one step from collapse, and the only reason they succeed is because of their deity and/or the assistance of the indigenous lifeforms, not because of him.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:


I also have some heavy left political leanings, and i had some issues with the movie too. So it's not an entirely conservative thing. My biggest issue was the whole "white messiah" thing they had going on... meh.


Avatar is what I call a "white savior" film, in which a supposedly "lower" race is redeemed by the presence of a white man. So in that way it is a lot like Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai, etc.

Not to mention it gives the military an extremely one-dimensional portrayal, I don't get why everyone raves about Quattrel, I thought he was a pretty boring bad guy.


Quaritch?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2007
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
thered47 wrote:
But, also, I think sometimes it is worth reflecting on how certain films are alike, and that includes how their plots are alike. In short I don't think it's incorrect to talk about how the plot of films, such as Avatar, are similar to other films. It's just not the best way to go about criticizing a film for the above reason.

This isn't to say that it's okay to subjectively dislike a film because of it's similarities to another film, but too often it seems that people who say "film x is too similar to film y and therefore it's bad" seem to use similarity as some sort of objective way to evaluate a film.
-Jeremy
I think most people use similarity as an excuse not to examine the movie, because most people can't be bothered to think beyond what size popcorn they want to buy and which stall in the bathroom is the cleanest.

NotHughGrant wrote:
I don't think we need to compare it to another film. Avatar was the ejaculation of all liberal hollywood thought on colonialism and western civilisation. It was hypocritical leftwing history for the MTV generation. Pure exploitation. I mean, that bad guy, you know, the bad Seargent - he looked like an SS Officer had mated with WWF white-trash.

Hell, that film had the deft of a hydrogen bomb - and I'm betting some of the target audience still didn't get it.

Avatar is an expensive pamphlet. It's hard to compare it with anything because it's just so concentrated.

Avatar is also the ejaculation of Hollywood's underlying right-wing leanings that reduce all sociopolitical conflicts down to side A vs. side B and where the resolution to said conflicts is no more complex than one side being better at violence than the other. While the military might be a left-wingers' caricature, the conflict itself is the sort of oversimplified cowboy nonsense that informs the right-wing worldview.

Or it could just be that the movie is so busy pandering to everybody that it has no wing.

---

The odor of today's unpopular opinions: Testicles. Unshowered post-marathon testicles.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed May 22, 2013 4:46 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1361
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Quote:
Or it could just be that the movie is so busy pandering to everybody that it has no wing.


I think this is mostly what it is.


Wed May 22, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2911
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Or it could just be that the movie is so busy pandering to everybody that it has no wing.


I think this is mostly what it is.

Yeah, the film tried way too hard to please everyone and while it ultimately succeeded at the box-office, the critical opinion hasn't really held up over the years. Once you take away the 3-D, there's not much beneath the surface.


Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Hurt Locker doesn't hold up for me much either. *Sigh* Inglourious Basterds should have won

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed May 22, 2013 8:29 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1361
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Quote:
Yeah, the film tried way too hard to please everyone and while it ultimately succeeded at the box-office, the critical opinion hasn't really held up over the years.


I think in previous years and decades, box office intake could be a way to judge quality. But these days, that makes little sense, since marketing seems to decide everything.


Wed May 22, 2013 11:00 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 1902
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Speaking of Inglourious Basterds, another unpopular opinion: that movie is overrated. Mind you, I enjoyed parts of it. But I think QT really dropped the ball in the last act. I hate that the Basterds ends up being complete retards and are easily caught and the only reason why Brad Pitt lives is because Hans Landa ends up being a weasel who wants to switch sides since he knows the other side is gonna win. That may be a smart move on his part, but it makes Landa a less interesting and less badass character than what he was in the terrific opening scene. I'm also not a fan of Shossonah's ultimate fate.


Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2129
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ken

Quote:
Avatar is also the ejaculation of Hollywood's underlying right-wing leanings that reduce all sociopolitical conflicts down to side A vs. side B and where the resolution to said conflicts is no more complex than one side being better at violence than the other. While the military might be a left-wingers' caricature, the conflict itself is the sort of oversimplified cowboy nonsense that informs the right-wing worldview.

Or it could just be that the movie is so busy pandering to everybody that it has no wing.


Perhaps there are elements of "catch-all" in there. But no, I'm still sticking with my original view.


Quote:
The odor of today's unpopular opinions: Testicles. Unshowered post-marathon testicles.


I can achieve this merely by sitting in a seat that has a nice soft cushion.

_________________
The question, RAYMOND ... is what.. did you want.. to be?


Thu May 23, 2013 4:18 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2129
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
ilovemovies wrote:
Speaking of Inglourious Basterds, another unpopular opinion: that movie is overrated. Mind you, I enjoyed parts of it. But I think QT really dropped the ball in the last act. I hate that the Basterds ends up being complete retards and are easily caught and the only reason why Brad Pitt lives is because Hans Landa ends up being a weasel who wants to switch sides since he knows the other side is gonna win. That may be a smart move on his part, but it makes Landa a less interesting and less badass character than what he was in the terrific opening scene. I'm also not a fan of Shossonah's ultimate fate.



I disagree, Landa was always a classic "look out for number 1" pragmatist.

His attempt to switch sides is entirely consistent with his character.

_________________
The question, RAYMOND ... is what.. did you want.. to be?


Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2007
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken

Quote:
Avatar is also the ejaculation of Hollywood's underlying right-wing leanings that reduce all sociopolitical conflicts down to side A vs. side B and where the resolution to said conflicts is no more complex than one side being better at violence than the other. While the military might be a left-wingers' caricature, the conflict itself is the sort of oversimplified cowboy nonsense that informs the right-wing worldview.

Or it could just be that the movie is so busy pandering to everybody that it has no wing.


Perhaps there are elements of "catch-all" in there. But no, I'm still sticking with my original view.

I'll put it this way: there are far too many action movies that talk like a liberal and blow shit up like a conservative for this left-libertarian's comfort.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu May 23, 2013 5:34 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CasualDad and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr