Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:28 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
You don't think Neeson can act. Have you seen Schindler's List? Michael Collins? The Grey?

Admittedly, Kingsley has done his share of crap, but he's given some pretty amazing performances. I'm not too big on Gandhi. I found the movie to be kind of boring. But I don't see how you can deny how great Kingsley is in it. Also one of his more underrated performances IMO was in Suspect Zero, speaking of unpopular opinions (I loved that movie and think writing it off as just another Se7en ripoff is false and not giving the movie enough credit).


Yep I have seen the movies you mentioned with Liam Neeson and many more for that matter. IMHO he always seems uneasy with himself and his range is very limited. Neeson can do "neutral with a hint of sadness" and "angry" - he sucks for example at "desperate", "funny" and "mean". Ben Kingsley on the other hand always seems very calm and confident, but he always plays the same character over and over again: a wise noble man. In "Schindler's List" both were well casted, since they have the right presence, and are very well directed. Neeson (IMHO) though is unable to truly show Schindler's character arc emotionally, and he is being out-acted by most of the supporting cast not to mention Ralph Fiennes (who has the showier role, yes, but he pulls it off frighteningly well). Even in the somehow infamous last scene it seems as if the supporting cast (and even Kingsley) are saying: "Come on Liam, you can do this! Let go, loosen up, play sad and desperate, you can do it!" - with a better actor in the title role this scene would have torn me apart. As ist is, it is the subject matter which tears me apart, not Neeson's (non-)acting. There is one thing Neeson and Kingsley can never be accused of: over-acting. Not because of being subtle or nuanced, but because this would be out of their respective range. Sorry, just my unpopular opinion.

And of course once again John Williams' score in "Schindler's List" is brilliant. Having Itzhak Perlman playing it on the violin is sublime. It may sound lame, but I have yet to hear one musical phrase by this man which isn't awesome.


Hmm, I thought this too. But then again, Schindler is shown as a kind of father figure and protector to the people he saves. To have him indulge in some kind of over the top breakdown would diminish his status. I'm sure Spielberg would have considered this, and then for reasons best understood by him, went for a kind of alpha-male, captain of industry type to make the role credible.

His character is driven by money, logic, economic forces. I think that in keeping this character intact, the mere saving does enough without the cathartic breakdown. (and he does breakdown a bit anyway).

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue May 21, 2013 10:42 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2014
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I don't find Raiders to be great popcorn. It tries too hard to be a rouser; the ultimate crowd pleaser. To me, that's obnoxious and it becomes repetitious and dull.


Tue May 21, 2013 5:52 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
NotHughGrant wrote:


"The Brazillian Goodfellas" is what it says on my copy of City of God.

I didn't mean to condescend, but this is a slogan not an arguement.


You still aren't getting me. My invocation of Goodfellas (which is rather ironic actually -- I often try to distance the films because people are like "Durr it's the same movie but in Brazil) was just to point out that I didn't care about the film's "exotic otherness" -- a film about criminals that's well directed with strong characterizations is going to grip me wherever its set.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 21, 2013 7:02 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I've said it before and I'll say it again: reductionism is bad criticism.

---

The odor of today's unpopular opinions: Onions. Bad onions. Butt onions.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue May 21, 2013 7:22 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ken wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: reductionism is bad criticism.

---

The odor of today's unpopular opinions: Onions. Bad onions. Butt onions.


Agreed. My least favorite thing people do with movies (and I will admit I have been guilty of in my younger, dumber days) is say "THE HUNGER GAMES IS A BATTLE ROYALE RIPOFF/AVATAR IS THE SAME MOVIE AS A/B/C/D...X/Y/Z"

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Avatar was hilarious, because people couldn't even agree on which previously-existing movie it was supposed to be.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ken wrote:
Avatar was hilarious, because people couldn't even agree on which previously-existing movie it was supposed to be.


I know, right?? I said this until I was blue in the face (I went there) in 2009:

If you can't decide whether it's a ripoff of Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Pocahontas, Ferngully, etc., then perhaps this is a broad theme it taps into?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
NotHughGrant wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:


Leam Neeson can't act.



I disagree. He can act, he just has classically limited range. A bit like Paul Newman, but with an even norrower remit.


Well I guess I'll agree with you. Newman was a "pretty face" so he could get away with limited range while being young. He improved quite a bit later in life not unlike Kevin Costner who actually managed to mature after years of very limited range. I would throw Richard Gere into this "stew": he is another "pretty" non-actor and this has been proven by Steve Coogan and Mark Kermode, both analyzing and parodying him to perfection.

check:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhm8cHNd10

YET: he was rather surprisingly good in "Sommersby".
Not sure about Chris Pine though for example. This isn't an unpopular opinion: he is just a stiff and wooden model, complete with ultra-vain lip gloss, suffering from a severe lack of facial muscle mobility without even having had any Botox injection (as far as I know). I guess he will never be anything else but a Hugo Boss model who got a great Hollywood gig.
The classic "worst actor ever" Keanu Reeves isn't even "pretty" (IMHO as a 100% straight guy). I often wonder how the heck he broke into the business. But enough bad actor bashing already. Let's talk about great actors. Ooooops, many of them are dead or retiring.... Let me throw in a few names of actors/actresses who are still in business - and please, y'all, feel free to disagree (after all this is the "unpopular opinions topic"):

Philip Seymour Hoffman - darn he is great!
Javier Bardem - awesome badass!
Meryl Streep - talent beyond awesome!
Richard Dreyfuss - where are you, man?
Frances McDormand - where are you????
John Lithgow - please come back to the big screen!
Vincent D'Onofrio - damn you! You once kicked some very serious ass!
Val Kilmer - get back into shape and pick up where you left off!!!
Woody Harrelson - suffering from hair loss? Just like:
Ed Harris... darn we are living in the wrong age....
Stanley Tucci - holy f**k what a great actor: again: too few hair for you guys who only cast pretty boys?
Last but not least: Dustin Hoffman: my all time favorite actor.

Yep, there are women lacking in this list. Most of the current female stars are babes - but do they have talent? I dunno, too busy looking at them, smiling and knowing they are way, way out of my league.

Ellen Page? Jodie Foster? - Yep, great screen presence, but they severely lack in the "female" department and to be truly honest: aren't they playing the same character respectively over and over again?

Just my unpopular thoughts.


Last edited by Threeperf35 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue May 21, 2013 8:37 pm
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3993
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
Avatar was hilarious, because people couldn't even agree on which previously-existing movie it was supposed to be.


I know, right?? I said this until I was blue in the face (I went there) in 2009:

If you can't decide whether it's a ripoff of Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Pocahontas, Ferngully, etc., then perhaps this is a broad theme it taps into?

Well whatever the case, it ultimately failed to pull of that "broad theme" well.


Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3993
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I don't really see how Page and Foster are playing the same character over and over. Now if you were saying that about Julia Roberts I would totally agree, it seems she rarely ventures outside of her comfort zone when it comes to acting. I actually find Reeves to be an underrated actor, I can see how he became succesful, can't say the same for Orlando Bloom though, talk about wooden. I have a tendency to prefer female actors for some reason, I don't get the whole "out of league" mentality.


Tue May 21, 2013 8:53 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
I don't really see how Page and Foster are playing the same character over and over.


Not saying they are bad, not at all. But just look hard enough and you'll see what I mean.

Vexer wrote:
Now if you were saying that about Julia Roberts I would totally agree, it seems she rarely ventures outside of her comfort zone when it comes to acting.


Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Vexer wrote:
I actually find Reeves to be an underrated actor, I can see how he became succesful, can't say the same for Orlando Bloom though, talk about wooden.


Reeves doesn't annoy me, but I still think he is pretty bad. Orlando Bloom simply is another model who can't act his way out of a paper bag.

Vexer wrote:
I have a tendency to prefer female actors for some reason, I don't get the whole "out of league" mentality.


Trust me: babes are out of league for anyone but rich, successful badasses. Why do you think there are tons of photos of sweet, intelligent and pretty women smiling just beside a filthy, gross, stupid asshole, often at least 20 years older, with a confident smirk? Didn't you pay attention during high school? Sorry, no offense!


Tue May 21, 2013 9:12 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
Avatar was hilarious, because people couldn't even agree on which previously-existing movie it was supposed to be.


I know, right?? I said this until I was blue in the face (I went there) in 2009:

If you can't decide whether it's a ripoff of Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Pocahontas, Ferngully, etc., then perhaps this is a broad theme it taps into?

Well whatever the case, it ultimately failed to pull of that "broad theme" well.


You're allowed to dislike Avatar all you want, just don't reduce it to being "Dances with Wolves with blue people" or some such nonsense.

Agree with you over Perf about Jodie Foster. Are Panic Room and Taxi Driver the same character?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am
Posts: 322
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I don't really see how Page and Foster are playing the same character over and over.


Not saying they are bad, not at all. But just look hard enough and you'll see what I mean.


I don't. The prostitute in Taxi Driver, the rape victim in The Accused, the hustler in Maverick, the astrophysicist in Contact, the FBI agent in The Silence of the Lambs. Those are all much different characters.

As for Page, I don't know how you get much different than Juno and the tormentor in Hard Candy.


Tue May 21, 2013 9:25 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
Agree with you over Perf about Jodie Foster. Are Panic Room and Taxi Driver the same character?


Excellent point, I imagined exactly that.
First of all both characters are headstrong. Sure: Iris in "Taxi Driver" is an underaged prostitute, but she defends her way of living and thinking. Same in "Panic Room": she married a rich guy who ditched her for a trophy wife. Yet she knows the name of the game and again defends her way of living and thinking. Same in "The Accused", same in "Silence of the Lambs"...... shall I go on?


Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 pm
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Gwaihir wrote:
I don't. The prostitute in Taxi Driver, the rape victim in The Accused, the hustler in Maverick, the astrophysicist in Contact, the FBI agent in The Silence of the Lambs. Those are all much different characters.

As for Page, I don't know how you get much different than Juno and the tormentor in Hard Candy.


Well I guess you are confusing the role/character with the acting approach. Please think again.

I am the first to admit I'm wrong, but please convince me.


Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:
I don't. The prostitute in Taxi Driver, the rape victim in The Accused, the hustler in Maverick, the astrophysicist in Contact, the FBI agent in The Silence of the Lambs. Those are all much different characters.

As for Page, I don't know how you get much different than Juno and the tormentor in Hard Candy.


Well I guess you are confusing the role/character with the acting approach. Please think again.

I am the first to admit I'm wrong, but please convince me.


Jodie Foster is strong and possesses a clear and startling intelligence and is very articulate. Yet in The Accused she plays (and plays well) a lower-class, white trash rape victim. She is vulnerable (though steely) in Silence of the Lambs and steadfastly resourceful, without a hint of weakness, in Panic Room. She's might not be as rangy as Gary Oldman, but she's not one-note

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 21, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
Jodie Foster is strong and possesses a clear and startling intelligence and is very articulate. Yet in The Accused she plays (and plays well) a lower-class, white trash rape victim. She is vulnerable (though steely) in Silence of the Lambs and steadfastly resourceful, without a hint of weakness, in Panic Room. She's might not be as rangy as Gary Oldman, but she's not one-note


Bang! You got me. Yes you got a very valid point there. I like Jodie Foster very much. I can watch her forever, no doubt about that. Yet I always thought she is playing the headstrong wronged woman. I overlooked the upper class through white trash ("Little Man Tate" is another example - I actually love that little movie) range. Thanks for bringing it up.


Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ken wrote:
Avatar was hilarious, because people couldn't even agree on which previously-existing movie it was supposed to be.


I don't think we need to compare it to another film. Avatar was the ejaculation of all liberal hollywood thought on colonialism and western civilisation. It was hypocritical leftwing history for the MTV generation. Pure exploitation. I mean, that bad guy, you know, the bad Seargent - he looked like an SS Officer had mated with WWF white-trash.

Hell, that film had the deft of a hydrogen bomb - and I'm betting some of the target audience still didn't get it.

Avatar is an expensive pamphlet. It's hard to compare it with anything because it's just so concentrated.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 am
Posts: 57
Location: England.
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Threeperf35 wrote:
Trust me: babes are out of league for anyone but rich, successful badasses. Why do you think there are tons of photos of sweet, intelligent and pretty women smiling just beside a filthy, gross, stupid asshole, often at least 20 years older, with a confident smirk? Didn't you pay attention during high school? Sorry, no offense!


:lol:


Wed May 22, 2013 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3993
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
OtherBen wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
Trust me: babes are out of league for anyone but rich, successful badasses. Why do you think there are tons of photos of sweet, intelligent and pretty women smiling just beside a filthy, gross, stupid asshole, often at least 20 years older, with a confident smirk? Didn't you pay attention during high school? Sorry, no offense!


:lol:

I didn't go to a normal high school, where I went there was no "popular" or "unpopular" crowd, just a bunch of people with special needs, and none of the girls there were out of my league in any sense. I also don't see anything like that at my local college.


Wed May 22, 2013 11:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr