Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Auteur

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Jennifer Lawrence is a shitty actress with no range. I've never liked her in anything, and she didn't deserve the Oscar.

I think she's OK, but Jessica Chastain should've won instead.

Julia Roberts is extremely overrated, too often she repeats herself performance wise.

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I think Kirsten Stewart is actually a pretty good actress outside the Twilight series.

I like both of the xXx films.

Wed May 15, 2013 4:43 pm
Critic

JackBurns wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
JackBurns wrote:
Damn looks like I'm behind in a great thread. Well here goes...

I've never quite understood what everybody else sees in The Seventh Seal. Yes there are interesting/well made scenes, however this film has always been my definition of a complete bore-fest, and remains to be the sole reason why I haven't explored any more of Bergman's work.

The same goes for Breathless. I don't care if the film has jump cuts, its still pretty dull and uninteresting.

I don't hate Quantum of Solace, though this could be biased because Daniel Craig is definitely my favorite Bond.

I'm not a fan of The Last Tango In Paris or its terrible subplot that diminishes the value of the main story.

Agree on almost all of them, though the apartment scenes in Last Tango are good enough --great enough, really-- that I still can recommend it. You gotta see more Bergman though, dude. I also started with The Seventh Seal, wasn't impressed, waited awhile, and then when I finally got around to watching more I saw three **** movies from the man, and I don't give the quatro out very often.

I just remember being really unsatisfied with The Last Tango In Paris. The apartment segments are the best parts of the film by far, yet everything else just seems out of place, and really took away from the grittiness of it all.

I do need to see something else of Bergmans. I have Wild Strawberries near the top of my queue actually. Recommended?

One of the **** ones in fact. Wonderful movie.

Wed May 15, 2013 5:16 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I think Kirsten Stewart is actually a pretty good actress outside the Twilight series.

I'm not terribly fond of her, but I do agree that you can't really judge an actor for not giving a strong performance in a movie in which the performances are irrelevant. It would be fairer to assess her abilities based on a movie that actually requires her to use them.

Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I'm not terribly fond of her, but I do agree that you can't really judge an actor for not giving a strong performance in a movie in which the performances are irrelevant. It would be fairer to assess her abilities based on a movie that actually requires her to use them.

Yes, did you see The Runaways? She was really good in that, also liked her in On The Road.

I'll also admit to liking Abduction and I Know Who Killed Me.

For made-for-TV movies, I thought Lindsay Lohan was really good as Elizabeth Taylor in Liz And Dick.

Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

Jessica Chastain gave the best female performance of 2012. Dominated Zero Dark Thirty. And I loved Kristen Stewart in both Into the Wild and Adventureland. Now that she's free forever from Twilight, I hope her charisma and talent will come back to her.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:48 am
Producer

Michael Mann isn't a very good film maker.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:40 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
22. City of God is a mess and falls apart round about halfway through

Quote:
Not even a little. If anything, it gains more structure halfway through when it becomes a battle between Knockout Ned and Little Ze. But it's a masterpiece through and through.

I think you're getting lost in the "exotic otherness" of it all. DOn't get me wrong, I was entertained, but had it been set in New York or ... Springfield, you'd probably agree with me.

/quote]

Goodfellas has no exotic otherness. It just, like City of God, is a tremendous crime movie with vivid characterization and amazing direction.

This isn't an opinion. You're just repeating what's said on the DVD cover of City of God.

It's like the adverts that said American Psycho was "this year's Fight Club"

Thu May 16, 2013 3:43 am
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Jessica Chastain gave the best female performance of 2012. Dominated Zero Dark Thirty. And I loved Kristen Stewart in both Into the Wild and Adventureland. Now that she's free forever from Twilight, I hope her charisma and talent will come back to her.

Jessica Chastain was excellent, but out of all the women that were nominated, I personally would have given it to Naomi Watts. I just her role was the most challenging and harrowing both physically and emotionally. And she was amazing.

Thu May 16, 2013 4:10 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Michael Mann isn't a very good film maker.

How so?

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Jessica Chastain was excellent, but out of all the women that were nominated, I personally would have given it to Naomi Watts. I just her role was the most challenging and harrowing both physically and emotionally. And she was amazing.

I've never really been impressed by Watts.

Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 am
Director

Vexer wrote:

Have you ever seen Mulholland Drive? It's not your kind of film, but Watts gives a powerhouse performance in it. She really fits director David Lynch's style well.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:43 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Have you ever seen Mulholland Drive? It's not your kind of film, but Watts gives a powerhouse performance in it. She really fits director David Lynch's style well.

Well i'm not really a Lynch fan, and I thought his style overshadowed her performance, she was OK I guess, but I wouldn't call it a "powerhouse" performance.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:48 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Goodfellas has no exotic otherness. It just, like City of God, is a tremendous crime movie with vivid characterization and amazing direction.

This isn't an opinion. You're just repeating what's said on the DVD cover of City of God.

It's like the adverts that said American Psycho was "this year's Fight Club"

Um, okay? That's not a very good way to respond to a point. In no way have you disagreed with me or disproved me, you've just said that, what, it's not my own opinion? Good one there, NotHugh.

Characterization.

-Lil Ze is one of my favorite nuanced villains. He's not evil, in the Voldemort sense of the word, he's just raging id -- a child who was never taught right from wrong, and whose body has grown but without his childish impulses fading. He's a terrible person, but an interesting one

Direction.

I've never seen a movie like City of God. The opening chase with the chicken sets a standard for kineticness that's impressive, but not other necessarily unique. However, the way the film chooses to tell its story, with individual chapters flashing back to previous decades or the interlude explaining the history of a particular apartment, is singular and masterful.

Neither of these two things have anything to do with the film's exotic otherness, and if they show up on the DVD case, it's because they're true. Please stop telling me why I feel the way I do about a film, and please stop condescending to me so outrageously.

Thu May 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Cinematographer

A few more unpopular opinions I hold:

1. Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are gifted comedic actors who consistently manage to waste their potential on lame scripts.

2. World War Z looks like it's going to be one of the year's worst. The latest trailer makes it look like an even dumber version of 2012. When he's good, he's good, but I'm really not a huge Brad Pitt fan either.

3. Matthew McConaughey is slowly becoming one of the most versatile directors around.

4. Celebrities who talk about politics deserve fifty lashes. :D

5. John Cusack isn't a particularly great actor, but he is a terrific social activist.

6. The Fast and the Furious movies are slowly starting to grow on me. I mean, the fifth installment was great fun.

7. Adam Sandler is a dreadful actor whose only good film is Punch-Drunk Love. (Don't even try to tell me that Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer, Reign Over Me, or Funny People are any good. They're not.)

8. The romantic-comedy needs to die.

9. I think that Kevin James has a bright future (the guy's 47, but still) in cinematic comedies, provides that he distances himself from the Cult of Sandler.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:34 pm
Auteur

I'm very much excited for World War Z, though I know a lot of fans of the book aren't, so I dunno if that's "unpopular"

You're definitely not in the minority with the Fast And Furious films, they have one of the most popular Facebook pages of all time.

I don't think you're alone on Sandler either, I hear a lot of people ranting about how much they hate him, I think he's improved since the disastrous Little Nicky.

I think Musical films need to die out. I don't mind the occasional rom-com

Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
I'm very much excited for World War Z, though I know a lot of fans of the book aren't, so I dunno if that's "unpopular"

You're definitely not in the minority with the Fast And Furious films, they have one of the most popular Facebook pages of all time.

I don't think you're alone on Sandler either, I hear a lot of people ranting about how much they hate him, I think he's improved since the disastrous Little Nicky.

So does Twilight. Since when did a positive correlation exist between popularity and quality?

Thu May 16, 2013 9:54 pm
Second Unit Director

I keep saying this but only very old people are gonna remember that The Fast and Furious franchise was about illegal drag racing at first. Now there's The Rock, a tank, some chick doing a hurricarana on another chick...it's kinda hard to reconcile.

Oh and I liked the third Fast and Furious, mostly in a laughably bad entertaining way but I enjoyed it more than the first and a lot more than the second.

Thu May 16, 2013 10:05 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

So does Twilight. Since when did a positive correlation exist between popularity and quality?

Fast and Furious dosen't have nearly as big of a hatedom as Twilight though.

Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Fast and Furious dosen't have nearly as big of a hatedom as Twilight though.

And? The general public is largely incapable of differentiating quality cinema from the rest of the rubbish heap. Facebook popularity means nothing. What's next? Are we going to rely on tweets in order to gauge how good a new movie is? (Oh, wait. Hollywood is already using positive tweets to promote its movies.)

Fri May 17, 2013 2:40 pm
Auteur

Well in this case it DOES mean something, because Vin Diesel relied on input from Facebooks users to determine what direction the films would go in. That was what led to Dwayne Johnson being cast in Fast Five.

I don't view audiences the way you do. Plus everyone has their own idea of what "quality" cinema is.

Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next