Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:56 pm

RIP Ray Harryhausen 
Second Unit Director

Post RIP Ray Harryhausen
Yesterday, on May 7th, special effects creator Ray Harryhausen passed away. Although he has long retired, the news have made me a bit sad, because I grew up with his movies.

To those of us who grew up with CGI special effects, Harryhausen's work may not mean much. He was the go-to-guy for stop-motion animation, and stop-motion animation with its slightly jerky and otherworldly movements looks - charmingly, I may add - dated and old-fashioned today. It is easy to forget that up until the late 1980ies or so, before CGI looked any good, stop-motion animation (as well as animatronics etc.) was pretty much state of the art. Compare the stop-motion King Kong in the 1933 original to the man in a gorilla suit in the 1976 version and you'll understand what I mean.

Basically, if you wanted to make a fantasy movie with monsters who wouldn't look sily, you would call on Ray Harryhausen. Consequently, I believe that he should be recognised as one of the most important filmakers (at least in the genres of fantasy and sci-fi) because of the influence his movies had on many modern filmmakers such as Steven Spielberg. (It may seem silly to call a special effects person a filmmaker, but in the case of Ray Harryhausen, his stop-motion effects are the movie, so it is appropriate here.)

Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen
Clash Of The Titans, the Sinbad movies, Jason and the Argonauts....all classic forms of Ray Harryhausen's work. He was 92 which isn't bad for a guy who spent much of his life hunched over plastic and clay figures to capture 13 frames of film per day.

LOVED that the swankiest restaurant in Monsters, Inc. was called "Harry Hausen's"

Wed May 08, 2013 12:21 pm
Director

I read about this yesterday. Harryhausen was quite the pioneer; he turned stop-motion into an art form.

Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 pm
Well I agree: Ray Harryhausen was one of the most important stop motion animation artists. Without him there probably wouldn't have been the beautifully stop motion animated movies by Tim Burton and Peter Lord (Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, etc.). Very likely he even encouraged the use of stop motion animation in "The Empire Strikes Back" and the "go motion" (= adding motion blur) animation in "Robocop".

Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 pm
Producer

I have to see "Jason and the Argonauts" again just to see Talos. He and Medusa are my favorite Harryhausen effects.

Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 pm