Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:34 am

The First Four-Star Movie of 2013 
Cinematographer

Post The First Four-Star Movie of 2013
James posted the following on Twitter two hours ago: "I can say with some relief that 2013 will have at least one four-star movie. Review coming in a few weeks."

I'm guessing that it isn't Iron Man 3 or Star Trek: Into Darkness, so it is probably a more obscure title. I'm still not positive, so I have decided to rate my predictions using the tiers system. Upper-tier titles are the most likely candidates, while lower-tier candidates have very little chance of being the movie in question.

UPPER-TIER:
1. Before Midnight
2. 56 Up
3. The Iceman

MID-TIER:
1. Iron Man 3
2. Star Trek: Into Darkness

LOWER-TIER:
1. The Great Gatsby

I would have gone with Mud at first, but "in a few weeks" is what throws me off.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: The First Four-Star Movie of 2013
Has to be Before Midnight, right? Considering Berardinelli's love of the first two in the series and the almost-universal praise the new one has received already, it feels like the most likely choice.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Yeah, it's most likely Before Midnight. I'll be pleased if it's something else, in part because I'm a big fan of things getting four stars, but keeping it real those other films probably won't make the cut.

Apologies to oafolay who also made a topic, which I deleted because this one had a reply. :oops:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm
Cinematographer

Does anyone remember off-hand how long it took JB to rate a film as 4 stars last year by comparison?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:01 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Does anyone remember off-hand how long it took JB to rate a film as 4 stars last year by comparison?

Looper in September.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Looper in September.

Whoa. It would make for an interesting story if this year does end up being lower in quality than 2012 overall.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:40 pm
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
Has to be Before Midnight, right? Considering Berardinelli's love of the first two in the series and the almost-universal praise the new one has received already, it feels like the most likely choice.

Oh I hope it is. I so hope it is.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm
Producer

I'm hoping it's Star Trek Into the Darkness, but yeah, it's most likely Before Midnight.

56 Up is definitely a possibility as well though, considering that James has had high praise for the it's predecessor's.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 pm
Cinematographer

Well, let's think this through logically.

For all we know, this four-star movie could be one of the Video Views (I Am A Fugitive from a Chain Gang, perhaps?), although I doubt that James would go out of his way to trick us like that.

It just can't be The Iceman. I saw it at TIFF last year, and it was a fine film, but it certainly wasn't anything special.

There's still an embargo on reviews for Iron Man 3 in the U.K., even though the movie was released there last Friday. :roll: I'm not even sure if there have been any American screenings for it yet. Also keep in mind that JB once said that he would much rather delve right into Avengers 2, rather than sit through a bunch of Phase Two movies beforehand. And I doubt that Iron Man 3 is better than the original or The Avengers, both of which James gave ***1/2 to. (FYI: I am actually much more excited about Man of Steel now than I am for Iron Man 3.)

The same logic can also be applied to Star Trek: Into Darkness. No screenings yet, and one of JB's favorite movies is Wrath of Khan, which he assigned ***1/2 to. I doubt that Into Darkness would overshadow the second (and best) Star Trek movie after just one viewing. Plus, James' response to the 2009 Star Trek was fairly lukewarm, so there is that.

56 Up has been out forever, so I don't see why James would delay posting a review for it. And all of the trailers and TV spots I have seen for The Great Gatsby make it look really sloppy and dumbed-down, so it can't be that.

Unless we've overlooked something, it's Before Midnight. And deservedly so.

Last edited by Sean on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

My guess would be 56 Up, no doubt in my mind. I mean everyone knows that he's been one of the Up Series' biggest boosters for years and I don't see why that would change all of a sudden. Now on another note, I could've sworn that I was the first one to start a thread about James first 4-star film of the year but I can't find the post anywhere! Hmmm... :? :?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

oafolay wrote:
My guess would be 56 Up, no doubt in my mind. I mean everyone knows that he's been one of the Up Series' biggest boosters for years and I don't see why that would change all of a sudden. Now on another note, I could've sworn that I was the first one to start a thread about James first 4-star film of the year but I can't find the post anywhere! Hmmm... :? :?

See my post. D:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 pm
Auteur

I think it'll be Iceman, Great Gatsby looks like a total shitfest, JB will probably find Star Trek and Iron Man to be pretty good but not amazing.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 pm
Producer

No way is it The Iceman. It just doesn't look like a 4 star movie to me.

Has James ever given a Bazz Lurhman movie 4 stars before? I thought Moulin Rouge! was a 4 star movie personally, but I think James gave that one just 3 stars.

Between Before Midnight and 56 Up, I'd rather it be the former. It'd be disappointing to me if the first 4 star movie of the year is a documentary.

I haven't seen it yet, but despite the reviews saying how derivative the movie is, I still think Oblivion looks like it'll be MY first 4 star movie of the year.

Again, nothing would thrill me more for it to be Star Trek, but I don't even think it's even been screened yet. Where as obviously Before Midnight has been screening quite a bit for a while now. So it's probably that movie.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Oh I hope it is. I so hope it is.

Me too.

I think another good indicator is Berardinelli's use of the word "relief." That word has popped up quite a bit in early reviews of Before Midnight (at least the few I've skimmed through, as I've been trying to avoid reading too much about it). When there is a third entry in a series that has already had two great entries, it has to be a considerable relief that it stands up strong alongside its predecessors.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

oafolay wrote:

Still, why would James wait to post a review of 56 Up? It's been out for a while now, and there's no point in delaying it.
Vexer wrote:
I think it'll be Iceman, Great Gatsby looks like a total shitfest, JB will probably find Star Trek and Iron Man to be pretty good but not amazing.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Before series?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Still, why would James wait to post a review of 56 Up? It's been out for a while now, and there's no point in delaying it.
Vexer wrote:

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Before series?

I've never seen any of the Before films, but i'm guessing JB will give Midnight the same rating he gave Sunset.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Pedro wrote:
oafolay wrote:

See my post. D:

Well shit! :oops: :oops:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Guys, let's be real here...it's Pain and Gain. I mean, when has Michael Bay ever made anything other than a 4 star film???

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 am

PeachyPete wrote:
Guys, let's be real here...it's Pain and Gain. I mean, when has Michael Bay ever made anything other than a 4 star film???

AND it has The Rock.

I think you're right. I'm going with Pain and Gain.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am
Gaffer

Obviously, Before Midnight is the most likely candidate, but I really hope it's The Great Gatsby.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:35 pm