RIP Roger Ebert 
Cinematographer

Post RIP Roger Ebert
Would seem to warrant its own topic.
http://news.yahoo.com/sun-times-famed-m ... 32507.html

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: RIP Roger Ebert
Very sad day for sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who would credit Ebert for expanding their views on film and its greatness as an art form.

I've been reading through his Great Movies collections recently. I made my way through the first two and have just started on the third, and now I'll definitely be reading with a heavy heart.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I remember watching him on PBS way back during "Sneak Previews". My earliest movie I can remember seeing reviewed on the show was 1981's Raiders Of The Lost Ark, though I have the impression I was tuning in before then. It was great not only getting the reviews, but seeing extended clips of the movies outside of previews. Followed him into syndication through high school (1982) and college and then kinda lost track of the show.

Hopefully in that big multiplex in the sky Gene has "saved you the aisle seat," Roger.

Last edited by Johnny Larue on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:19 pm
Just read the news. RIP Mr. Ebert. I loved reading his clever reviews with lots of insight not only regarding the movie being reviewed but also tons of great philosophy about the human condition, yet easy to understand. He had a keen sense of humor without ever making fun of the movies. He loved and honored them as much as we do. He was a pioneer at pointing out typical movie "errors" and omissions - and at the same time explaining why these exist. If it wasn't for him I probably still wouldn't know the very key to a good movie: It is not about what a movie does, it is about how it does it.
He will be sadly missed.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:19 pm
Producer

People are so familiar with the direction Ebert's thumb was pointed in that he'll probably never get all the credit he deserves as a writer. He took what other film critics treated as a form of consumer reports and elevated it tremendously.

You can get an opinion or a letter grade for a movie from anybody, but Ebert brought humanity, wit, and confessional honesty to the table. He flawlessly communicated whatever he felt. That's what he took with him.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:29 pm
Assistant Director

RIP. Even if I didn't always agree with him, I always enjoyed reading his input. An extremely intelligent and knowledgeable person.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

RIP to the greatest film critic there ever was or ever will be! :cry:

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:32 pm
Producer

Here's the 1999 episode of Siskel & Ebert in which Ebert memorialized Gene Siskel.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:00 pm
Director

Ebert was the definition of a great film critic. His writing was clear and concise, and he always made whatever film he wrote about easy to understand. He made high art accessible to everyone, and I think that is one of the greatest compliments I could give him as a writer. I will miss his presence greatly.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:04 pm
Producer

To save anyone the trouble...

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtO4_--TRgo

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKR9pQmMXv0

Ebert was someone you could look to who would memorialize somebody and zero in on precisely what made that person worth remembering. Obviously, he can't do that for himself, so I think this is the next best thing. Plus, in talking about his longstanding cohost Gene Siskel, he subtly provides a lot of insight into himself--what he valued in friends, film critics, and sparring partners.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:17 pm
Cinematographer

The balcony is closed.

Ebert brought wit and humanity to the field of film criticism, a profession which anyone could pursue but which only a handful ever revolutionized. Now that Siskel and Ebert are finally reunited, the world has lost two of the greatest film critics who ever lived. I didn't always agree with Roger, and in recent years, I found his endless political commentary on Twitter a mild nuisance. In fact, I am probably not the only who noticed his diminishing output over the course of the past few weeks. However, I still recognize the tremendous impact of Ebert's work on the entertainment industry, as well as the world of journalism. May he rest in peace. My regards to Chaz.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm
Gaffer

Damn. I guess this makes Berardinelli the best living film critic.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:42 pm
Producer

Here's a good piece from Buzzfeed--very simply some collected quotes and photographs.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:50 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Living in the UK, my first exposure to Roger Ebert was via the Microsoft Cinemania CD ROM. Once the web replaced CD ROMs, I was able to read all his reviews online. He was a great critic and a wonderful *writer*.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 pm
Cinematographer

BrianB wrote:
Damn. I guess this makes Berardinelli the best living film critic.

This will be the subject of much debate in the days to follow. Either way, no one will ever claim Ebert's spot as the world's greatest film pundit.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm
Cinematographer

I doubt that Ebert's site will be shut down, although I cannot say the same about his Facebook and Twitter profiles. It's really a tremendous shame. That being said, what will become of RogerEbert.com? Will Roeper and the other guest critics continue keeping Ebert's spirit alive, or will everything be kept the way it is?

Either way, may that great multiplex in the clouds be free of anything featuring Rob Schneider.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:01 pm
Director

didn't JB have a reelviews on him a while back? about how helpful he was in his becoming a critic?
anyone have that link?

is The Host the last movie Ebert reviewed?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:16 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
didn't JB have a reelviews on him a while back? about how helpful he was in his becoming a critic?
anyone have that link?

is The Host the last movie Ebert reviewed?

Yes. And yes, The Host was the last Ebert review.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:04 pm
Director

Ebert and James have always been my favourite critics. It's a real shame to see Ebert go, and quite suddenly too. His reviews were always insightful, and sometimes went off on meaningful tangents that had only tenuous connections with the film being reviewed. I'm sure I'm not speaking for myself when I say Ebert's reviews will be sorely missed.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:24 pm
Assistant Director

Sad day :( He will be sorely missed!

Last edited by unwindfilms on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:27 pm
Profile WWW