Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:39 am

Are we too elitist? 
Producer

Post Re: Are we too elitist?
I don't think elitist is the right word. I think people are just clearer on what they like and for what reason.

Example, I've watched 2 comedies that stand out in the past few weeks, Crank 2 and Crazy, Stupid Love.

The latter was put together by an established team; features an Oscar nominated actress; an Oscar nominated actor; a Golden Globe nominated actor; cost a lot of money to make; and was distributed far and wide.

The former features a lead you'd struggle to call half an actor on a good day; is deliberately and consciously the most offensive it can possibly be; is made by two guys who probably belong in some kind of care unit; and is hooked on one of the cheesiest power ballads the 80s managed to vomit in our direction.

Yet one of these films I f*cking love to bits, and the other is an awful piece of patronising shit.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:27 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I don't think elitist is the right word. I think people are just clearer on what they like and for what reason.

Example, I've watched 2 comedies that stand out in the past few weeks, Crank 2 and Crazy, Stupid Love.

The latter was put together by an established team; features an Oscar nominated actress; an Oscar nominated actor; a Golden Globe nominated actor; cost a lot of money to make; and was distributed far and wide.

The former features a lead you'd struggle to call half an actor on a good day; is deliberately and consciously the most offensive it can possibly be; is made by two guys who probably belong in some kind of care unit; and is hooked on one of the cheesiest power ballads the 80s managed to vomit in our direction.

Yet one of these films I f*cking love to bits, and the other is an awful piece of patronising shit.

Your implying that you loved Crank 2 and Crazy, Stupid, Love was patronizing? How? It was just a sweet, cute romantic comedy (with the theme that love conquers all). It didn't pretend to be anything else. Crank had a good sex scene though, so there's that.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:37 am
Director

Crank 2 is amazing. It's not only a great romp, but it has a great, expressive message: to enjoy life to the fullest, most visceral extreme, being unafraid of conventional restraints. It's both a celebration and a critique of that mindset, the critique being inherent in the sado-masochist aspects of the movie.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 am
Director

Is Crank 2 that movie where Jason Statham grabs a woman and fucks her in the street so he can keep his heart beating? In the right hands, that could be comedic gold.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 am
Director

The "sex to keep the heart going" happens in both films, but in the street is the first one. In the second film it happens in a horse track.

Both films are tremendous fun and out of this world (espeically the second one), and I want a third one if just out of sheer curiosity to see how they are going to push it any further.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 am
Producer

Exactly, peng. I don't see how they can top the second film either. But I read an interview with one of the two Directors and he said that him (Neveldine) and the other guy (Taylor) are getting to work on it, and already have 50 or so ideas. I can't wait!

The first film was a blast, but the second was incredible! Apparently the studio didn't proof read the second before it was filmed... f*cking good job as well! Imagine reading that!

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 am
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Is Crank 2 that movie where Jason Statham grabs a woman and fucks her in the street so he can keep his heart beating? In the right hands, that could be comedic gold.

It is in the right hands. Completely in the right hands.

I can't see Ken Loach tacking two guys fighting over one's guy's heart, before they turn into Godzilla-type monsters and wreck the landscape.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Exactly, peng. I don't see how they can top the second film either. But I read an interview with one of the two Directors and he said that him (Neveldine) and the other guy (Taylor) are getting to work on it, and already have 50 or so ideas. I can't wait!

The first film was a blast, but the second was incredible! Apparently the studio didn't proof read the second before it was filmed... f*cking good job as well! Imagine reading that!

It's a really inspiring movie for aspiring filmmakers too. I'd love to make some crazy shit like this. I think deep down, a lot of people would. I also find Joseph Kahn's Detention to be inspiring in this way. With 30-50 mil budget movies flopping routinely and 100+ mil movies having the creative capacity of cans of coke and pepsi, the 5-20 mil budget is really where the most exciting things in movies are happening right now.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 am
Producer

I personally would like to see more of the same. A film with endless possibilities, unbound by political correctness, and stacked with self-awareness and humour.

Great stuff.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I personally would like to see more of the same. A film with endless possibilities, unbound by political correctness, and stacked with self-awareness and humour.

Great stuff.

I love Gamer too, though it's generally not as unbound as Crank 2. It's pretty uncompromising about its agenda. Lots of great sequences though.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 am