Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 am

What's with the Rocky II hate? 
Post What's with the Rocky II hate?
The first time I watched a Rocky movie was in a 5 movie marathon on Spike (or another "man" channel like that) a few years back. And I absolutely adored 1 & 2. I went online to check out some reviews for the entire saga, and I was surprised at how much hate Rocky II gets, where as Rocky III got all of the "sequel love" at the time.

I never saw anyone really praise a Rocky sequel until Rocky Balboa (other than the Rocky III machoism love), and I never understood what all the fuss about Rocky II was.

I mean, yeah, the directing was a bit amateur (but certainly not bad for Sly, who wasn't a very experienced in directing at the time in the first place), and the ending kind of ruined the meaning that the first movie set. But other than that, I feel that the film is equal to the original. There is a lot of attention given to the characters, the training sequence is far better than in any other of the series (I love how "Going the Distance", a much better song than the overrated "Gonna Fly Now" is given some attention) and the acting is just as good as the original. There are certainly some very corny moments (the people running with Rocky), but it's a lot less corny than Apollo and Rocky man-handling each other in Rocky III, or the gigantic music video that was Rocky IV.

While I love Rocky 1, I always feel that Rocky II is far too criticized, and deserves a little more respect. I feel that Rocky, Rocky II, and Rocky Balboa are basically equal if you take all of their strengths. Rocky has the luxury of introducing the characters and basically paving the way for the entire series. Rocky II brought the characters even further, and added a lot more emotion to the saga. Rocky Balboa had fantastic direction, cinematography, and even more meaning than the original.

Rocky II = Rocky = Rocky Balboa >>> III >>>>>> Dirt >>>>> IV >>>>> Hitler >>>>> V

Anyways, if anyone who hates Rocky II is here, I'd like to hear your side. I just want to get another take on it. And if there is anyone out there that loves Rocky II, I'd love to hear your side as well. I just want some more appreciation for what I'd say is one of the most underrated sequels of all-time. :lol:

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:26 pm
Post Re: What's with the Rocky II hate?
Does Rocky II have a song by Survivor on the soundtrack?
Does Rocky II have a robot?

I think I rest my case...even though Rocky V gets all the hate...which it deserves.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:31 pm
What's with all the Rambo 2 hate?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:42 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
What's with all the Rambo 2 hate?

Does Rambo II have a song by Survivor?
Does Rambo II have a robot?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, whenever I see Rambo II I feel the urge to grease myself up and kill a couple nation's armies while yelling and grunting.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm
It's been a while since I've torn through the whole series (I see the first and sixth films the most often), but I remember digging Rocky II. A little too heavy on the melodrama at times, but at least Rocky still felt like a human, instead of the over-the-top superman they came to paint him as. Rocky is meant to be a humble underdog, and this, #1, and #6 came the closest to remaining faithful to this concept.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:50 pm
My view of Rocky and it's sequels has changed over time. First, let me preface this by stating that I am from Philly and my view of this group of films comes very specifically from that. As a child I loved all things Rocky simply for the entertainment value(even all the cheesiness that was all over the movies). I even cut days in high school to watch parts of Rocky 5 being filmed. Rocky is a part of the sports fabric here despite the fact that he is fictional. Because of that, as I got older, and more specifically as I became a film fan, I began to dislike the sequels. You see, the original is a near perfect sports film. The tale of the underdog rising up for a shot at glory. What makes this film so great to me is the end. Rocky gave it his all but he failed to win. He simply didn't have the talent but he was able to go toe to toe with the heavyweight champion of the world based on guts and determination. Never has Philadelphia sports been so well defined(even if unintentionally). We here love the players who play hard and hang tough despite not being the most talented bunch. We prefer dirt on the uniform to an effortless swing. We prefer a brawling hockey player who scores a few goals to a small speedy forward. In essence, we want Rocky. So when he goes on to win the title in the sequel, it cheapens it a little for me. It's all a little too perfect. I loved him as the lovable loser, like most of my Philadelphia athletes(note: this would've been much, much more bitter had the Phillies not finally won this year).

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:08 pm
bob harris wrote:
My view of Rocky and it's sequels has changed over time. First, let me preface this by stating that I am from Philly and my view of this group of films comes very specifically from that. As a child I loved all things Rocky simply for the entertainment value(even all the cheesiness that was all over the movies). I even cut days in high school to watch parts of Rocky 5 being filmed. Rocky is a part of the sports fabric here despite the fact that he is fictional. Because of that, as I got older, and more specifically as I became a film fan, I began to dislike the sequels. You see, the original is a near perfect sports film. The tale of the underdog rising up for a shot at glory. What makes this film so great to me is the end. Rocky gave it his all but he failed to win. He simply didn't have the talent but he was able to go toe to toe with the heavyweight champion of the world based on guts and determination. Never has Philadelphia sports been so well defined(even if unintentionally). We here love the players who play hard and hang tough despite not being the most talented bunch. We prefer dirt on the uniform to an effortless swing. We prefer a brawling hockey player who scores a few goals to a small speedy forward. In essence, we want Rocky. So when he goes on to win the title in the sequel, it cheapens it a little for me. It's all a little too perfect. I loved him as the lovable loser, like most of my Philadelphia athletes(note: this would've been much, much more bitter had the Phillies not finally won this year).

How'd you feel about the last Rocky by the way?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:10 pm
How'd you feel about the last Rocky by the way?[/quote]

I only saw it once, in the theaters but as I recall, I felt a certain amount of closure with it. I wasn't the best movie certainly but it allowed Rocky to just be a man from the neighborhood again, even if it was a little sad to see him that way. Once again, in the end, he couldn't beat the heavyweight but he gave all he had and walked away. To me and to others, it was seen almost as an apology for all the sequels in between. Rocky reclaimed a bit of his mythology in that.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:20 pm
Patrick wrote:

...What was up with that robot. Damn thing...confusing me and making no sense..

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Rocky IV? Paulie made it his wife? None of that ring a bell?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:09 pm
Patrick wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Rocky IV? Paulie made it his wife? None of that ring a bell?

No I know what it is, but it was the randomest thing lol. Specially since it was the 80s.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:23 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
No I know what it is, but it was the randomest thing lol. Specially since it was the 80s.

Oh, sorry about that. But that robot was creepy...thing shouldn't even exist with 80's technology and I don't think Rocky just punched it out of thin air.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm
For me everything after Rocky is way too cheesy and deliberate.
As a kid I enjoyed 2,3, and 4 more than the original but even then thought it was way too corny.
By the time I was in college you couldn't pay me to sit through any of them except the original, which still is one of my favorite movies.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:06 pm
I've never cared for Rocky II much because it's just a Rocky retread except Rocky wins in the end (which of course defeats the point of the original story). It's not a bad movie by any means, and I'll admit it's more heartfelt and sincere than II, IV or V. Still, it sticks so closely to the original's formula which is why it's not as popular as the original or it's sequel. It may be a decent movie but the original's better in every sense. Rocky III is a different beast, however. It's an 80s action movie set inside a boxing ring so it deviated from the original which is why it seems more liked than II. It's goofy, sure, but it's a real fun watch and more memorable than Rocky II.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:29 pm
Rocky II has one scene which no other Rocky movie has:

Adrian, just after waking up from her coma: "There's one thing I want ya to do for me." - Rocky: "What?" - Adrian: "Come here..." - Rocky: "What?" - Adrian: "Win!" - Dong! (music cue) - "Win!" - Mickey: "What are we waitin' for?"
I always get the goosebumps just thinking about it. That's Rocky II in a nutshell - IMHO the best of the series.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:57 pm