Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:10 pm

RIP Richard Attenborough 
Director

Post RIP Richard Attenborough
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/24/richard-attenborough-died-aged-90

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:58 pm
Assistant Director

Post Re: RIP Richard Attenborough
I have to admit I haven't seen much of him, other than Gandhi and Jurassic Park, but I thought his performance in the latter was perfect for the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoYzyOn44M

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Director

He also gave noteworthy performances in "The Great Escape" and "The Flight of the Phoenix," among others... and was the only other celebrity I know of besides Olivier to have actually been lorded. R.I.P.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:39 am
Director

man this is weird. I just watched The Sand Pebbles(which Attenborough was great in) last week. And I watched Moscow on the Hudson the day before Williams died.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
man this is weird. I just watched The Sand Pebbles(which Attenborough was great in) last week. And I watched Moscow on the Hudson the day before Williams died.

Well, then, how about using your powers for good and watch a movie in which Paris Hilton appears? :twisted:

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:51 pm
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Well, then, how about using your powers for good and watch a movie in which Paris Hilton appears? :twisted:

imo she's not THAT bad. There are worse actors out there, e.g. Hayden Christensen or Shia LeBeouf that have made a lot more (and continue to do so) bad movies than Paris.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:57 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

imo she's not THAT bad. There are worse actors out there, e.g. Hayden Christensen or Shia LeBeouf that have made a lot more (and continue to do so) bad movies than Paris.

I certainly wouldn't say either of those two are worse then her(if you want to see how good Hayden can be, I would highly recommend Shattered Glass as he's spot on as the infamous New Republic writer Stephen Glass, and Shia was really good in Charlie Countryman and The Company You Keep) though I still wouldn't call her the worst actor, no that (dis)honor goes to Robert Pattinson, he's been terrible in every single film he's ever been in so far and I don't expect that to change anytime soon, with Twilight I can't blame him so much as the dialogue in that series is so beyond awful that no actor no matter how talented could possibly make it sound good, but he has no such excuse for his other films like Remember Me, Water For Elephants and Cosmopolis, he is the perfect definition of wooden acting(or as TVtropes calls it, Dull Surprise).

Last edited by Vexer on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

I certainly wouldn't say either of those two are worse then her(if you want to see how good Hayden can be, I would highly recommend Shattered Glass as he's spot on as the infamous titular New Republic writer, and Shia was really good in Charlie Countryman and The Company You Keep) though I still wouldn't call her the worst actor, no that (dis)honor goes to Robert Pattinson, he's been terrible in every single film he's ever been in so far and I don't expect that to change anytime soon, with Twilight I can't blame him so much as the dialogue in that series is so beyond awful that no actor no matter how talented could possibly make it sound good, but he has no such excuse for his other films like Remember Me, Water For Elephants and Cosmopolis, he is the perfect definition of wooden acting(or as TVtropes calls it, Dull Surprise).

Oh how could I forget Pattinson? Yeah, and him. They imo all worse than Paris.
As for Christensen, he was so very, very bad in the Star Wars prequels - considerably worse than Paris was in either The Hottie and Nottie or House of Wax (in which she was imo pretty average actually). And yes, I have seen both of these films.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:03 pm
Auteur

I personally don't think he was that bad at all in the prequels, most people who have seen Hayden's non-Star Wars films say that it was more George Lucas's dialogue that was the problem in those films and not Hayden himself, have you seen any of his other films besides the prequels?

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:17 pm
Cinematographer

Richard Attenborough definitely added the memorable touch to Jurassic Park. I never realized how very similar that character was to the Santa Claus in the remake of Miracle on 34th Street, but what a delightful character he played.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I personally don't think he was that bad at all in the prequels, most people who have seen Hayden's non-Star Wars films say that it was more George Lucas's dialogue that was the problem in those films and not Hayden himself, have you seen any of his other films besides the prequels?

I think just Jumper (and he was imo also bad in that), and have avoided him ever since. Indeed Lucas' dialogue was terrible in the Star Wars prequels - that is so very true - BUT somehow the likes of Natalie Portman, Ewan McGreger, Sam. L. Jackson and Liam Neeson managed to make the same crappy dialogue semi-work, i.e. it was JUST Christensen that completely choked on Lucas' awful dialogue... = bad ACTING.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:33 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I think just Jumper (and he was imo also bad in that), and have avoided him ever since. Indeed Lucas' dialogue was terrible in the Star Wars prequels - that is so very true - BUT somehow the likes of Natalie Portman, Ewan McGreger, Sam. L. Jackson and Liam Neeson managed to make the same crappy dialogue semi-work, i.e. it was JUST Christensen that completely choked on Lucas' awful dialogue... = bad ACTING.

Well I disagree, I really think you should check out some of his other films before completely writing him off(I think you'd enjoy Shattered Glass).

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Well I disagree, I really think you should check out some of his other films before completely writing him off(I think you'd enjoy Shattered Glass).

Well I will check that one out. Incidentally, I have been trying to track down Dark Heaven (I'm a bit of a sucker for terrible films, and I know you particularly despise this one) at local video stores and various streaming sites, but that movie is too obscure (hated perhaps?) and just can't be had short of literally buying it from Amazon - and I ain't doing that. I'm guessing I missed nothing though, judging by it's imdb rating.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well I will check that one out. Incidentally, I have been trying to track down Dark Heaven (I'm a bit of a sucker for terrible films, and I know you particularly despise this one) at local video stores and various streaming sites, but that movie is too obscure (hated perhaps?) and just can't be had short of literally buying it from Amazon - and I ain't doing that. I'm guessing I missed nothing though, judging by it's imdb rating.

Nope, you're definitely not missing anything, this is one rare time where I completely agree with the IMDB rating. It's obscure for a very good reason, if you don't want to pay for it, you could always watch it on one of those free streaming sites.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:19 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I think just Jumper (and he was imo also bad in that), and have avoided him ever since. Indeed Lucas' dialogue was terrible in the Star Wars prequels - that is so very true - BUT somehow the likes of Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, Sam. L. Jackson and Liam Neeson managed to make the same crappy dialogue semi-work, i.e. it was JUST Christensen that completely choked on Lucas' awful dialogue... = bad ACTING.

The best word I'd use to describe the Star Wars prequel dialogue would be 'perfunctory' at worst. Why Lucas felt he had to write the scripts on his own, I don't know. I also feel that the younger actors (Portman and Christensen mainly) perhaps didn't seem properly attuned to the Old Hollywood-style, 'artificial' method of acting that runs throughout the series (the series was, after all, inspired by the old matinee serials of the '30s and '40s). Still, these technicalities don't hamper my ability to enjoy the core storyline and the further universe-building that continues over from the first trilogy. I actually have to agree (!) with Vex that, with 30 years' hindsight now, the Original Trilogy was probably put on far too high a pedestal for its own good. Yes, they totally revolutionized SFX movies and they were essentially the "Citizen Kane," "Casablanca" and "Gone with the Wind" of my youth, but since then I've discovered even greater cinematic joys in the likes of "2001," "Nashville" and "Apocalypse Now," to name a few.

Anyway, back to the late Lord Attenborough... :|

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 pm
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Anyway, back to the late Lord Attenborough... :|

In case you hadn't noticed, tangents is what everyone seems to do here :) .

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:30 am