Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 pm

First Quarter Report Card (2013) 
Cinematographer

Post First Quarter Report Card (2013)
This thread is devoted towards discussion of any and all titles released during the first quarter of 2013. For me, this has been a fairly dreadful year thus far, although I hope that the next three months prove to be more rewarding.

I tend to organize the movie year based on the first seasons, although I do so in a different manner than most people probably do. January and February comprise the winter movie season (read: rubbish bin), while the spring movie season is comprised of March and April. The summer movie season includes May, June, July, and the dog days of August. Finally, the fall movie season consists of September, October, November, and December. However, for the purposes of this thread, I am including January, February, and March together. "Quarter" implies four, and I think that this is a fair standard that should continue to be used.

My favorite wide release of the year so far has been Side Effects, which is supposedly director Steven Soderbergh's final theatrical project. As a psychological thriller, the film was incredibly riveting, with excellent performances all around. Everything about it just worked, with a sense of suspense that was actually quite Hithcock-ian.

Side Effects might also be my favorite film of the year so far, although another movie giving it a run for its money is 56 Up, the eighth entry in a decade-long series of documentaries revolving around the lives of 14 British children over the course of the past five decades. Many of the other entries on my list are obscure documentaries, as well as a handful of less-noted foreign films. Question: do you place documentaries on a separate list from regular feature films, or do you mix the two together?

So, what are your favorite and least favorite films and performances of the year so far? What do you consider to be the greatest disappointment of 2013 so far? Finally, what is your most-anticipated film of the next three months?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm
Auteur

Post Re: First Quarter Report Card (2013)
I'm liking this year so far, no real dissapointments yet. Favorite film so far would be Olympus Has Fallen, hard to pick a least favorite as I haven't outright disliked any of the films i've seen in theaters so far.

Most anticipated film of the next three months: Fast And Furious 6

Favorite performance: Jason Statham in Parker I guess

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:40 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
I'm liking this year so far, no real dissapointments yet. Favorite film so far would be Olympus Has Fallen, hard to pick a least favorite as I haven't outright disliked any of the films i've seen in theaters so far.

Most anticipated film of the next three months: Fast And Furious 6

Favorite performance: Jason Statham in Parker I guess

Perhaps he will earn a Best Actor nomination next year. :)

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:48 pm
Second Unit Director

Favorite movie: Olympus has Fallen

Worst and most disappointing: A Good Day to Die Hard

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm
Producer

Quote:

What does Olympus have that Die Hard doesn't have? Oh wait, it's a half hour longer and has over 40% higher on rottentomatoes. Silly me, answered my own question.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:22 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

What does Olympus have that Die Hard doesn't have? Oh wait, it's a half hour longer and has over 40% higher on rottentomatoes. Silly me, answered my own question.

That and Olympus was actually entertaining

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:27 am
Producer

Just as long as you don't imply that Olympus is more intelligent, or that someone who likes Olympus is more intelligent than someone who likes Die Hard 5. If one entertains you more, god bless.

What bothers me about peoples' reactions to Olympus is the way people insist on its connection to Air Force One or Independence Day as if that's any big deal. Are movies good now just because they remind you of other movies which had their own set of flaws in the first place? Avengers reminded me a lot of Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back, but that's not why I hated it. I'm seeing a pattern here. Walter Hill's old movies were better, so Bullet is lame. Die Hard 5 abides by none of the first film's tropes, so it's bad. Olympus reminds me of a movie I enjoyed when I was 11, so it's good.

Iron Man 3's quality will no doubt be determined by which it reminds people of more: Avengers or Iron Man 2.

Die Hard 5 entertained the shit out of me, and it didn't remind me of a thing. Except that I love a badass action scene, whatever the style might be.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 am
Producer

A Good Day to Die Hard is definitely the worst movie of the year so far. And a major disappointment coming from a MAJOR Die Hard fan. Of course, it didn't even feel like a Die Hard movie. And Bruce Willis didn't look like he even wanted to be there. He looked bored and totally phoned in his performance. Worst of all, McClane was actually kind of annoying in the movie with his constant yelling that HE'S ON VACATION! Which, btw, isn't even true. He went to Moscow, supposedly, to save his son from trouble. Not to go on some vacation. Ugh. And don't get me started on the Chernobyl scene. Wow, that entire sequence, aka the whole 3rd act, was truly awful.

Best movie of the year, thus far, is definitely Side Effects. But I also greatly enjoyed Jack the Giant Slayer, The Last Stand, Gangster Squad, Dead Man Down, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Olympus Has Fallen and Dark Skies.

The best performances of the year are Jude Law and Rooney Mara in Side Effects, Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace in Dead Man Down.

Besides A Good Day to Die Hard, the other major disappointment of the year for me was Broken City. Good cast, well made and well acted but not very exciting. Kind of dull. Too much of a been there, done that feeling.

Oz the Great and Powerful also disappointed. The last 20 minutes are terrific, but it takes an awful long time to get there.

Beautiful Creatures has a good first two thirds, but a disappointing 3rd act.

Over all, it's been an okay year. Not much to get excited about, but really, that's almost always the case this time of year, isn't?

April has a lot to look forward to but the only problem is most of them are limited releases and thus, I might not be able to get to see them. There is Oblivion though, which looks amazing.

And I'll be seeing Stoker soon, which I think looks really good.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Just as long as you don't imply that Olympus is more intelligent, or that someone who likes Olympus is more intelligent than someone who likes Die Hard 5. If one entertains you more, god bless.

Oh no no no no, I never insult people over what they like. I only insult the thing that they like, not them. It's stupid to be a fan-hater. It's a waste of energy be a fan-hater. So yeah, I won't ever say somebody is smarter for liking Olympus over Die Hard.

Glad to see we're almost on the same page there.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

The purpose of this thread is to list your favorite and least favorite films of the year. Some criticism is permitted. However, please remain on-topic here. There is no need to revisit the old "which-action-movies-are-better?" debate.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:31 pm
Director

Sadly, I haven't seen anything from this year yet. I think the last time I was in the theater was my country's "Oscar movie" season, right around the middle of January. Life of Pi I thought? And when I am interested in seeing something, like Oz, Die Hard 5, or (*gasp and shudder and groan*) Olympus Has Fallen, those movies are just right around my project deadlines or exams, and I'm not that interested enough to find the time. But like Vexer, I'm really anticipating Fast and Furious 6, which I will surely make time for. I hope they maintain the extreme entertainment value from the fifth one.

Also, someone's apparently able to read people's minds again. More shudders.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:02 pm