Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
The Fourth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners! 
Cinematographer

Post The Fourth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
BEST PICTURE

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST ACTOR

BEST ACTRESS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

BEST WRITING - ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

BEST WRITING - ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST

BEST ART DIRECTION

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

BEST FILM EDITING

BEST MAKE-UP

BEST USE OF MUSIC

BEST SOUND EDITING

BEST SOUND MIXING

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

THE MARTIN SCORSESE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

VIDEO CONTAINING WINNERS, PART ONE
VIDEO CONTAINING WINNERS, PART TWO
VIDEO CONTAINING WINNERS, PART THREE
VIDEO CONTAINING WINNERS, PART FOUR

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Fourth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Awww! I thought that "other" guy was gonna win it when I saw Ken's name attached to the video. (Don't wanna spoil who the winner of the First Annual Reelviews Achievement Award is.) But no disappointment for me. If one guy was to beat the "other" guy, I would've wanted it to be this guy. Absolutely wonderful montage as well. Kudos to both Pedro and Ken!

And can we please have the other winners sooner before I make the front-page tomorrow. You're killing me here.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Huh. Two people were chosen for the lifetime achievement award?

De Niro is a good pick, obviously. And no matter what you personally think of Kubrick, I personally think he's a little overrated but obviously I'm in the extreme minority, but one cannot deny his influence and importance to cinema.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:39 pm
Second Unit Director

And there's the "other" guy. I had him on the top of my pick. Two of the best choices for the First Annual Reelviews Lifetime Achievement award. Way to go Reelviews! And once again, great montage by Ken. I tip my hat once again in Pedro (Happy Birthday BTW!) and Ken's favor.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

This is the first and last spoiler I will betray for this thing: there are three recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Award.

And it's Pedro's birthday? It was my birthday just a couple days ago.

Wonder Twin powers, activate!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:36 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
This is the first and last spoiler I will betray for this thing: there are three recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Lifetime Achievement part the third appears to be blocked due to copyright somethingorother? Just a head's up.

Also, yay, for the most part, although there is a lot more love out there for
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Moonrise Kingdom
than I really understand.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm
Cinematographer

Bones wrote:
Ken wrote:

Lifetime Achievement part the third appears to be blocked due to copyright somethingorother? Just a head's up.

Also, yay, for the most part, although there is a lot more love out there for
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Moonrise Kingdom
than I really understand.

Yeah, Ken's trying to get around the copyright. When he finds a way for the final video to work, it'll be made available.

I updated the thread with my visual presentation, slightly augmented from previous years but still relatively traditional. I'm happy with the winners, though someone already pointed out that the Academy did decently this year and there's a lot of overlap.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:38 am
Cinematographer

Also, happy belated to Ken.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 am
Second Unit Director

Quick notes on the Winners. (Thanks for doing this Pedro and brilliant graphics as well. You've outdone yourself with the statue graphics.)

• Argo won the same three awards as the Oscars. I don't think we can blame the Academy this year. (Or maybe you can blame both the Academy and Reelviews, I don't know. ;) ) I know it is no A Separation, but I had no idea there were so many takers for it. But I am glad it won Best Picture. I've seen it 3 times already and have not gotten enough of it. It is just a beautifully crafted motion picture which is pretty much flawless except for one minor sequence in the end, and that cannot make me not give it full marks. When I first saw it, I had no idea what Editing was but after reading up on it, I noticed how precisely it had been cut when I saw it last week, especially towards the end. Affleck speaks about it in his commentary as well.
  • Kathryn Bigelow for Best Director. Take that Academy and Ang Lee. I don't know about Affleck (he deserved it though, ask Tarantino), but Bigelow not even getting nominated is one of the biggest brain-farts from the Academy I can remember in recent memory. Zero Dark Thirty was material that could easily have gotten out-of-hand and over-the-top in the hands of any other director, but Bigelow reined it in masterfully, never once pandering to the masses. I think this is especially evident in the precise execution of the actual takedown but comes through in general as well. She was my top pick also.
  • DDL for Best Actor. No complaints from me. I thought Jouaqin Phoenix was the RV front-runner in this category but am pleasantly surprised. I would've taken either in reality. Phoenix was marginally ahead of DDL for me because of the fact that he didn't have countless research material to sink his teeth into and nail the character. But DDL was a powerhouse as President Lincoln, so yeah good job RV.
  • Emmanuelle Riva for Amour. Eh, I don't have too many complaints, but I thought she was out-performed by Jean-Louis Trintignant in the film. My top choices were Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence. Can we all agree that Chastain is going to be the Meryl Streep of our generation? YES! I can see her dominating this category both in the Oscars and Pedros for many years to come. And Lawrence is not going to be too far behind. So yeah, we gave it to someone who probably had her only shot at the Pedros and got it.
  • Supporting Actor and Actress completely overlaps with the Academy which I have no problems with. I've not yet seen Django Unchained, but Anne Hathaway nailed her performance in those few minutes. It really was one of the most affecting performances I've seen all year, and she totally deserved both her victories.
  • As for the writing categories, I probably know Django deserves its victory even without seeing it and am glad that Chris Terrio took home the Adapted category. It was a brilliantly written film with so many memorable quotes and not one wasted dialogue.
  • No surprises in the Foreign film category. Holy Motors has been getting some great raves recently on RV, but Amour is a masterpiece and deserves its victory.
  • And I really need to see The Secret World of Arrietty. I had Frankenweenie as my pick, but I had no idea Arrietty was so popular on RV. It's moved to near the top of my must-watch list.
  • We gave Roger Deakins the award for Best Cinematography. So we are automatically superior to the Academy despite the many overlaps. Skyfall was easily the most beautiful film I saw in all of 2012 and is a worthy winner. At least, we know what Cinematography means which is not something you can say of the Academy. :roll:
  • The rest of the categories are pretty straightforward picks. I am glad Moonrise Kingdom won Best Ensemble, Best Art Direction, Best Costume, and Best Use of Music. It deserved to win all those categories. As for Best Visual Effects, you guys need to see The Impossible in the big screen, arguably the most visceral experience of 2012. I don't disagree with Life of Pi which was good, but The Impossible's effects had me riveted in a way no other film had in 2012.

All in all, we had the following overlaps with the Academy: Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor and Actress, Adapted and Original Screenplays, Foreign Language Film, Film Editing, Sound Editing, and Visual Effects. Most of the discrepancies seem to be in the technical categories which is fine since those were the toss-ups in the Academy as well. But we honored Moonrise Kingdom which the Academy didn't. So screw them for all I care.

Well done to everyone who voted and to Pedro for putting it all together, and Ken for those brilliant montages of the Lifetime Achievement winners. (I'll discuss on those once everybody starts doing it. I don't want to spoil it for anybody.)

EDIT: Pedro, I'd really like to know how many people ended up voting and how the vote splits were because you said there were not a lot of votes initially. For example, I don't think most of the victories would've been a landslide, especially something like Best Picture. Those kind of facts would make for an interesting reading, if you can come up with it.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Veryyy niceee...very nice group of winners. Some thoughts:

We continue our trend of having a split in the best picture and director winners. Nice.
Multiple Winners: Kathryn Bigelow wins her 2nd best director award and Christoph Waltz wins his 2nd best supporting actor award.
Argo wins 3 awards: just like last year's best picture winner A Separation.
The line up with best picture and screenplay continues.
The sound editing and sound mixing categories continue to be awarded to the same film.
Zero Dark THirty only won 1 award for best director.
A bit surprised at the Anne Hathaway win. Didn't realize her performance was that loved. I preferred Ann Dowd's performance.
The awards are varied this year, with the most awards being 4 (Moonrise Kingdom), followed by 3 apiece for Skyfall and Argo, and 2 awards apiece to Django Unchained and Amour.

Overall nice wins. :P

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:14 pm
Cinematographer

• Surprising to see Argo win, given the level of indifference towards it on these forums. Don't get me wrong: many enjoyed the film, but many also seemed turned off by the fact that it seemed like an easy pick for the Academy. That being said, it was my second favorite movie of 2012, so I can't complain that much, but Zero Dark Thirty is a much more majestic experience. Argo tells a story about CIA exploits in a rather crowd-pleasing manner; ZDT isn't afraid to pose difficult questions and haunt the viewer, especially with its documentary-esque feel.
  • Can't complain about Bigelow winning Best Director. She is who I voted for.
  • Daniel Day-Lewis is entirely deserving of Best Actor, but I still think that Joaquin Phoenix gave the single best performance of 2012. Very esoteric. Lincoln has DDL doing what he does best, however. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Surprised to see Riva win Best Actress, but I can hardly complain. I am a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence, but I was kind of rooting for her to not win. I just feel that Jessica Chastain and Emmanuelle Riva gave much more challenging performances last year. My vote went to Chastain.
  • Waltz was excellent in Django, although I placed Leo above him on my ballot. My top choice was Hoffman, but seeing as I could not see him winning, I am happy to see Waltz win. In retrospect, he gave the best performance in Django.
  • Anne Hathaway winning Best Supporting Actress. :evil: I do not know why, but my animosity towards Hathaway has grown tremendously since Les Mis. Maybe it's because I simply hated the movie. Maybe it's because I thought that her performance was "eh". Maybe it's because I hate how the Academy kicks the Best Visual Effects winners off the stage for discussing their company's bankruptcy, while letting her list off just about everyone in the phone book. Either way, I am not pleased. Thankfully, this was Les Mis's only win.
  • Cannot argue against Argo winning Best Adapted, but I voted for Zero Dark Thirty for Best Original. Still, Django's screenplay was exemplary.
  • Surprised to see Arrietty win, but I am thrilled. I voted for it, and I am glad to see it win.
  • I thought that This is Not a Film was 2012's best documentary, but I cannot argue against Jiro winning. Still, I believe that this field should be expanded next year.
  • Amour for Best Foreign Language Film was inevitable, but I am surprised by the series of wins for Moonrise Kingdom. I think that I voted for Lincoln when it came to Best Ensemble, Art Direction, and Costume Design.
  • Glad to see Skyfall clinch Best Cinematography, although I voted against it in favor of ZDT in the sound categories.
  • Film editing going to Argo was inevitable. I voted for ZDT, but that may have been just because I liked that film more. :oops: Actually, I might have voted for Looper. I don't remember. :?:
  • In retrospect, I should have probably voted Holy Motors for Best Makeup. I might have voted Looper for that, too.
  • Music was a flimsy category this year. I was not enamored with any of the four nominees, but I can see why Moonrise won.
  • Pleased with the Visual Effects and Lifetime Achievement categories.
  • I actually disagree: this was probably one of the Academy's worst years. I found myself disagreeing with many of the nominees, although my animosity towards the Oscars grew once ZDT fell out of favor.
  • So, this year, we gave a Pedro to every single Best Picture nominee except for Beasts of the Southern Wild and Silver Linings Playbook, right?
This special broadcast was brought to you by the offices of PedrowaterhouseCoopers, the world leader in accounting. :D

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:24 pm
Producer

I'm rather pleased with how it all shook out. I would have liked to see Moonrise Kingdom win Best Picture, but considering how it was showered with other awards, I can't complain too much.

And obviously, for anybody here who knows my tastes, I couldn't be more pleased with the Lifetime Achievement winners. Stanley, Marty, and Johnny are the creme de la creme de la creme. When I was putting together the Lifetime Achievement featurette, every single clip I used or considered using made me want to go back and watch the whole movie.

It also occurred to me as I was editing the montage of award winners that the Pedros aren't just our chance to pick better winners than the Oscars, but also to address our other criticisms of the ceremony. Namely, what would happen if we were to cut out the host, the speeches, the montages, the dumb gags, all the other baloney, and just get right to the awards? The answer is that you get a presentation that lasts less than six minutes and still manages to include a moment or two with every winner.

Of course, then you don't get to sell advertising time at prime rates and the movie stars don't get to gussy themselves up and parade up and down the red carpet... but at least we have a statue of Pedro dressed in his swankiest fig leaf.

Well, palm frond...

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:48 pm
Producer

Hm. It would appear that I made a typo in the John Williams segment. The "Years Active" card should say 1952, not 1932.

I would rather go lie face down in dog poop than go back in, edit again, and resubmit to YouTube. That is a problem to me.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm
Cinematographer

I'm happy with some of the winners, unhappy with others, but I cannot express how gratifying it is to know that democracy has once again ruled the day!

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:26 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]