It is currently Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Happy half century to Brad Pitt 
Producer

Post Happy half century to Brad Pitt
This week. A great actor when at his best

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Happy half century to Brad Pitt
And by his best, I believe you mean Tyler Durden.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

That indeed is his absolute best.

He also touched it in Seven, 12 Monkeys, and Moneyball ... and others

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:32 pm
Assistant Director

I'm a fan. He's one of those actors that I've seen almost every film of.

I think he's fabulous in Interview with the Vampire, Seven (my #2 film), 12 Monkeys, Fight Club, Babel... even in "simpler" and lighter turns like Ocean's Eleven or Burn After Reading, he kills it.

And even I can acknowledge that he looks freaking great for a 50 year old man.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Thief12 wrote:
And even I can acknowledge that he looks freaking great for a 50 year old man.

I think most men will acknowledge that. Plus, the dude's wife is Angelina Jolie, major guy points for that as well. :)

Brad Pitt and George Clooney may be good friends in real life, but they share a lot of similarities on-screen as well. Both these actors just ooze natural charisma. Clooney may ooze it slightly more than Pitt, but they can lighten up any screen just by their mere presence. The most well-known example of this is Ocean's Eleven. But what makes both of them such great actors is that they can dial back on that whenever they want to. Since we're talking about Pitt, the one recent performance which comes to mind is The Tree of Life, a performance devoid of a lot of factors we usually associate with Pitt, but riveting nonetheless. (The Descendants would be a recent example I would use if I were talking about Clooney.)

Pitt is one of my favorite actors, and one I've never seen a bad performance from, which is a rarity. Happy 50th to him!

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Director

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:26 am
Producer

That scene is hilarious!

A white fricking tux of all things!

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:38 am
Cinematographer

One day, we'll wish happy birthday to a celebrity or film and said celebrity or filmmaker will register with the forum to say, "Thanks." One day...

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:49 am
Auteur

Love him in just about everything.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:13 pm
Cinematographer

Thought he was great in Moneyball and very good in The Tree of Life. For someone only a year younger than I am he sure has weathered the years better. Although he did start at a higher level too.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:05 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
That scene is hilarious!

That scene is a HUGE part of my problem with that movie. The Basterds are so feared and suppose to be these mega badasses, but that scene reveals them to be wildly, cartoonishly stupid. So much so that you wonder how they've managed to last as long as they have. Man, the only reason why Brad Pitt is still alive at the end happens to be, basically, out of sheer luck.

Of course in general, Pitt is a wonderful actor who has done many, many fantastic movies. Se7en being my favorite of them. Fight Club is up there. 12 Monkeys, Legends of the Fall, Meet Joe Black, Ocean's Eleven, A River Runs Through It, Sleepers, The Devil's Own and The Mexican are both extremely underrated, Tree of Life, Troy, Babel, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford an the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:59 am
Assistant Director

ilovemovies wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
That scene is hilarious!

That scene is a HUGE part of my problem with that movie. The Basterds are so feared and suppose to be these mega badasses, but that scene reveals them to be wildly, cartoonishly stupid. So much so that you wonder how they've managed to last as long as they have. Man, the only reason why Brad Pitt is still alive at the end happens to be, basically, out of sheer luck.

Well, not to give much thought to something that isn't meant to be taken that seriously; but on their defense, the plan was messed up from the beginning, and they knew it. They were pretty much wingin' it, but still did it for the importance of the target. If I remember correctly, they even acknowledged they might not make it, but still went on with the plan.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
That scene is a HUGE part of my problem with that movie. The Basterds are so feared and suppose to be these mega badasses, but that scene reveals them to be wildly, cartoonishly stupid.

Not quite so. For one thing, their reputation is largely a product of their in-universe campaign to spread the word that they're mega-badasses, when really they're a group of roughneck soldiers out to scalp as many Nazis as they can manage. Inglourious Basterds is very much a movie about characters whose wildly exaggerated reputations precede them. (Count the number of times one character asks another "Do you know who I am?" or some variant.) For another thing, their ad-hoc plan to get into the movie may have been a desperate and flawed attempt, but the main reason it was so at-risk was because of Hans Landa's unpredictable and borderline supernatural gift for languages.

Plus, it got made into a pizza box.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:35 pm