Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Actors/actresses you think deserve more attention 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Actors/actresses you think deserve more attention
If you've seen enough movies, chances are you've stumbled across an actor or actress with magnificent talent, only to discover that nearly no one else has heard of them. Who are some of these people, and what have they been in?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Actors/actresses you think deserve more attention
Emily Barclay in In My Father's Den (imo the best movie New Zealand has ever produced, Lord of the Rings included, although this is obviously a VERY different sort of film).

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:15 am
Auteur

I think Lake Bell is definitely an overlooked actress, I first saw her in Over My Dead Body and What Happens In Vegas, she's also given great performances in It's Complicated, Under Still Waters, A Good Old Fashioned Orgy and In a World.

One of my favorite character actors is Michael Rapaport, I was first introduced to him in the FOX sitcom "The War At Home"(one of the underrated TV shows of all time IMO) and I was inspired to check out more some of his films, some of my favorites are: Kiss Toledo Goodbye, Zebrahead, A Good Night To Die, Special, Inside Out, Live Free Or Die, 29 Palms, Lucky Numbers, The Naked Man, Illtown, Beautiful Girls, Copland, Metro and Some Girl.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 am
Producer

Bruce Greenwood
Xander Berkeley
Victor Garber
Ron Rifkin
Rosemarie DeWitt
James Badge Dale
Britt Marling
Frank Grillo
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Vera Farmiga

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:48 am
Second Unit Director

Colm Meaney. He should have been nominated for an oscar for the snapper but the film was shown on tv in "I think Norway or Iceland" he couldn't be nominated

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:49 am
Auteur

p604 wrote:
Colm Meaney. He should have been nominated for an oscar for the snapper but the film was shown on tv in "I think Norway or Iceland" he couldn't be nominated

Similar thing with Linda Fiorentino in Last Seduction, could've been nominated but the film was played on HBO before it went to theaters.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm
Critic

Great question. Let's talk about my boy

John Hurt

Yes everyone appreciates him to a certain degree, but his career is almost certainly winding down and no one but me seems to realize that John fucking Hurt enhances every movie he's in by always finding some interesting approach to his character. My favorite actor.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:
Bruce Greenwood
Xander Berkeley
Victor Garber
Ron Rifkin
Rosemarie DeWitt
James Badge Dale
Britt Marling
Frank Grillo
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Vera Farmiga

Xander Berkeley rocks my socks in Gattaca. Victor Garber was always a favorite, but then I saw Godspell

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm
Producer

How about Elias Koteas? That dude's done good work in a lot of stuff, including stuff that doesn't really deserve good work.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:42 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
How about Elias Koteas? That dude's done good work in a lot of stuff, including stuff that doesn't really deserve good work.

Yeahhhhhhh but does he ever just reach out and grab you with his Elias Koteas-ness?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm
Producer

Has he ever had the chance?

Aside from Ninja Turtles, where he grabbed the holy fuck out of me with his Elias Koteas-ness.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 pm
Cinematographer

Garret Dillahunt is quickly becoming one of my favorite character actors. I can see Thomas McCarthy giving him a lead in his next directorial effort and everyone going, "Hey, this guy's good!" He's been good for a while now. I'm not sure he's ever blown me away in anything, but he always does a good job at helping to maintain or establish a film's tone. I just watched him in Looper and he had a nice bit part as Jesse.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:54 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Great question. Let's talk about my boy

John Hurt

Yes everyone appreciates him to a certain degree, but his career is almost certainly winding down and no one but me seems to realize that John fucking Hurt enhances every movie he's in by always finding some interesting approach to his character. My favorite actor.

Great, great call. Following that mold of answering this question, I submit Chris Cooper. Not at all an unknown to movie buffs, and he's won an Oscar, but seems all too often left out of the conversation in terms of discussing this generation of character actors. Love him.

I also cannot possibly overstate my love to Barry Pepper. Even in crap like Snitch, he manages to be interesting and engaging. That he's not a superstar is sad.

When I saw Changeling, was rocked by the performance of Michael Kelly, who I'd never seen before. Yes, he has that old-school look, but the understated emotions of his role impressed me greatly. I just found out he's on the Netflix series House of Cards, which is wonderful news, and I hope it propels him toward stardom.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:09 am
Second Unit Director

p604 wrote:

I wonder if Colm Meaney's association with the Star Trek TNG and DS9 as Miles O'Brien may have hurt his chances for being recognized in other roles.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 am
Producer

Meaney's a fine actor when he gets a change (including on DS9). My favorite performance by him is in The Commitments, but I always like seeing him, even in his supporting roles.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Meaney's a fine actor when he gets a change (including on DS9). My favorite performance by him is in The Commitments, but I always like seeing him, even in his supporting roles.

The snapper is a sequel to the commitments.
They were both writtne by Roddy Doyle. The couldn't use the same charactor's names becuase of rights issues.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 pm
Cinematographer

Does Sam Rockwell still qualify? I say that because, whenever I read a review of a film that he's in, the reviewer always seems to be very quick to mention how brilliant Sam Rockwell is. But for some reason I can't shake the feeling that most people still aren't aware of how brilliant Sam Rockwell is.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Blonde Almond wrote:
Does Sam Rockwell still qualify? I say that because, whenever I read a review of a film that he's in, the reviewer always seems to be very quick to mention how brilliant Sam Rockwell is. But for some reason I can't shake the feeling that most people still aren't aware of how brilliant Sam Rockwell is.

I don't think he counts, though some of his earlier films do get overlooked.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:54 pm
Producer

Yeah, I didn't even realize he was in The Green Mile until I went back and watched it recently. He's perfectly despicable in it.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:44 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Yeah, I didn't even realize he was in The Green Mile until I went back and watched it recently. He's perfectly despicable in it.

One of several films in which he bares his ass. :|

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:32 pm