Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:19 am

Rank Die Hard Movies 
Cinematographer

Post Rank Die Hard Movies
Since we're doing this with the Bond films, why not our own home-grown American kick-ass action hero?

Let's rank the Die Hards. I'm sure you all have opinions.

Here's mine:

1. Die Hard
2. Die Hard with a Vengeance
3. Live Free or Die Hard
4. Die Hard 2: Die Harder

Haven't seen the new one. I don't have high expectations.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:47 am
Auteur

Post Re: Rank Die Hard Movies
My list:

Die Hard
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Die Hard 2
A Good Day To Die Hard
Live Free Or Die Hard

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:58 am
Critic

1. Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Jeremy Irons is almost as good as Alan Rickman, and it avoids all the really annoying parts of Die Hard that no one ever mentions, for reasons I don't get

2. Die Hard

Yes, he picks glass from his feet. This makes him more human than Schwarzenneger and Stallone. I get it. But the movie is imperfect. Why, WHY do we spend so much time with cops arguing over jurisdiction and whether or not to believe John McClane? Why does the director constantly take us out of the Nakatomi building when the claustrophobia is the best part of the film? How on earth does the character who was hanging from a chain around his neck in the middle of a room, dead, show up in the end so that the stupid cop character gets his nice moment? Ughhhh!

3. Live Free or Die Hard

Doesn't feel much like a Die Hard movie

4. Die Hard 2

Has the worst plot hole of any movie ever. The entire movie, in fact, is a plot hole. And has a million other stupid, annoying parts

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:32 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
2. Die Hard

Yes, he picks glass from his feet. This makes him more human than Schwarzenneger and Stallone. I get it. But the movie is imperfect. Why, WHY do we spend so much time with cops arguing over jurisdiction and whether or not to believe John McClane? Why does the director constantly take us out of the Nakatomi building when the claustrophobia is the best part of the film? How on earth does the character who was hanging from a chain around his neck in the middle of a room, dead, show up in the end so that the stupid cop character gets his nice moment? Ughhhh!

James Kunz does not want to welcome Reginald VelJohnson to the party, pal.

I like the first one the best, then the third, and those are the only 2 that anyone should ever talk about. The rest of the series stinks. I haven't seen the new one and I doubt I will.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 am
Director

The original is still the best. The approach was still new then, the McClane character wasn't bulletproof and the humor was placed well. The action was suitably intense. It's possible that Die Hard was the last action movie that could be considered classic. (Drive is in the running. But 10 years must pass before we can make that assesment).

With A Vengeance is where the superhero elements started creeping in. But there's still enough humanity and humor here to make it work. Samuel L jackson is entertaining as Zeus ("As in Father of Apollo? Mount Olympus? Don't-fuck-with-me-or-I'll-shove-a-lightning-bolt-up-your-ass Zeus! You got a problem with that?"). Jeremy Irons is the second best villain in the series after Alan Rickman of course (Brief Digression: I think Alan Rickman would have made a fantastic Inspector Javert in the recent Les Miserables).

Live Free Or Die Hard completes the series transition into superhero movies. It offers some decent entertainment. But Justin Long's sidekick is annoying, the action sequences are too cartoonish and the invincible McClane isn't as effective as the average joe McClane.

Die Hard 2 suffers from the same problems Kunz referred to in his comments on the original. The arguments between Dennis Franz and Fred Thompson distract us, Franz's oblivious idiot airport police chief is more annoying than Paul Gleason's dunderhead was in the original, the story itself is full of more obvious holes than the previous one was (those planes would have been re-directed to the closest possible alternate airport they could get to) and the plane crash sequence may be too much for some people after 9/11.

If I end up seeing A Good Day it will most likely be when it comes to DVD.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:24 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I like the first one the best, then the third, and those are the only 2 that anyone should ever talk about. The rest of the series stinks. I haven't seen the new one and I doubt I will.

Same here. Yes The first "Die Hard" has its flaws, but there are a few moments where I remember sitting in the movie theater saying: "Yes! Finally someone does that in a movie!" - when John McClane gets really nervous in the beginning, walking in circles saying to himself: "Think! Think!" - that kind of stuff is what made him human IMHO. The flaws (especially the stupid cop which doesn't believe McClane and the whole jurisdiction thing - simply very heavyhanded obstacles to maintain narrative thrust) are all the more evident because they stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise great popcorn flick. The bad guys are brilliant. I love when they enter the building and later Hans Gruber's inicial speech where he makes it clear he really did his homework. Sure he is a classic pompous moutache twirling villain, European and all - but he comes with a fresh take on that character and a well assembled team, not interchangeable henchmen. There's no doubt these guys come with a frightenly well prepared plan. The "give me.... the code!" scene alone, complete with a bet going on in the background, is a classic.

The second installment threw everything out of the window. By far the worst.

The third was very good but not great. The ending was like: oops, that's it?

The fourth left me kind of empty. I agree with everyone: doesn't feel like a Die Hard movie.

I doubt I will see the fifth.

In order (very much agreeing with everyone):

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm
Cinematographer

Die Hard - A+
Perfect action film. Period.

Die Hard 2: Die Harder - B+
Enjoyable and still within some loose boundaries of believability. I liked the mid-twist. It's the only other film of the series that I own.

Die Hard 4.0 - C+
Action-wise, it's enjoyable. But it still feels lifeless and detached from the franchise.

Die Hard with a Vengeance - C-
The only one I openly don't like. It has random moments of good stuff, but they never come together. The pairing of Willis with Samuel L. Jackson doesn't work for me, and makes it feel like something other than a Die Hard film (which it was supposed to be). Jeremy Irons is surprisingly bad as the villain, and the plot grows more ludicrous and stupid as it goes on. And finally, the ending has got to be the worst of the series.

I still haven't seen the new one, but given the reviews, I don't think I ever will.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Not a fan of any of them except the first one, which is one of my favorite action-thrillers. ****.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:31 pm
Director

Die Hard is flawed in minor ways, but that doesn't keep it from being a great action film. It is easily the best of the series.

Die Hard 3 wasn't too bad, as I remember. It has been a long time since I've seen it though.

Die Hard 2 and 4 were effing awful. They're really not worth the time. I haven't seen the new one.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 pm
Cinematographer

I've only ever seen the first one, which I hold in pretty high regard, and I've never really felt the need to see any of the others. Maybe I'll give the third film a chance sometime.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:

I don't know how you look yourself in the mirror without shuddering at what you see.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
1. Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Jeremy Irons is almost as good as Alan Rickman, and it avoids all the really annoying parts of Die Hard that no one ever mentions, for reasons I don't get.

Since no one else mentions them, what are the really annoying parts of Die Hard?

My ranking (Since I've only seen each of these once, with one exception, and in the case of Die Hard With a Vengeance, while on a bus trip when I was a teenager... bear in mind that my ranking might change if I were to see them again under better circumstances)

Here goes:
Die Hard
I won't argue that this one is the best.

The Detective
Nobody remembers this "prequel" as it was made in the late 1960's, starred Frank Sinatra, and deals openly with social issues (it has one of the earliest explicit gay characters on film). But the book that The Detective was based upon had a sequel, and that sequel would become known to the film world as Die Hard with Bruce Willis playing the role that Frank Sinatra originated (although the characters name was originally Joe Leland and changed to John McClane for the movie).

Die Hard With a Vengeance
Samuel L. Jackson FTW.

Die Hard 2
I don't see why everyone here hates it so much, but it has faded significantly in my mind, so what do I know?

Live Free or Die Hard
I liked it, even though I think it's the weakest of the series.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

thered47 wrote:
Since no one else mentions them, what are the really annoying parts of Die Hard?

Could you maybe have...you know...read my post where I mentioned them? It was right below this

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
thered47 wrote:

Could you maybe have...you know...read my post where I mentioned them? It was right below this

I thought you were referring to the series as a whole there, not the first film. My bad.
-Jeremy

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Die Hard
Die Hard with A Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard
Die Harder

Even though I ranked Die Harder last, it's still a solid 7.5 or a bit more. I kind of know in my head that it is better crafted and more balanced than the immediate two above it, but by being strict to the first film's plot, it feels less fun and more of the same in comparison and doesn't make me want to rewatch it as much as the other 3.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

I don't know how you look yourself in the mirror without shuddering at what you see.

Hyperbole much?

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Die Hard - 10/10 (A+) 4 stars out 4
Die Hard 2 - 9/10 (A) 4 stars
Live Free or Die Hard - 7/10 (B+) 3 stars
Die Hard With a Vengeance - 7/10 (B) 3 stars
A Good Day to Die Hard - 4/10 (C-) 2 stars

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:23 am
Critic

I just saw A Good Day to Die Hard. It's either the worst or just ahead of Die Hard 2. For the first half, it's not that bad a film. A bit generic to be sure, but not that bad. But the third act is really draggy, with some stupid plot twists and dumb CGI/explosion fests. Not worth seeing at all, unless you're a completist like me.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:36 am
Producer

The only one I like at all is the first one. While I think the writing is pretty impeccable in terms of serving up The Formula as directly and breezily as possible, it is basically the "guy movie" equivalent of a standard-order Sandra Bullock movie.

I haven't seen the new one. Judging by the last one, it's probably pretty bad.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 pm
Second Unit Director

Die Hard - 10/10
Die Hard 3 - 9/10
Die Hard 4 - 7/10
Die Hard 5 - 5/10
Die Hard 2 - 4/10

i waited until I saw the fifth one to do this. Bring back John McTiernan for the sixth one!

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:20 pm