Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Cinema and YOU! 
Producer

Post Cinema and YOU!
What defines your relationship with film in respect of memories and moments?

In 1989 I was 7. My parents newly divorced, I lived with my Mum; and my Dad lived at the other side of town in a house owned by a travelling co-worker. I used to see him every Saturday and we (for a relatively sustained period) go to the movies. One day in said year we went to see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Then walked back to his place, stopped for fish and chips and watched "For Your Eyes Only" on video once we got back.

I'll be in serious throes of dementia before I forget that day. Funny and beautiful how film entwines with life

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 pm
Assistant Director

Post Re: Cinema and YOU!
Well, my father (who died still married to my mother) took me to watch "Goldfinger" in a re-run in the early 70s and I was so blown away with this movie that I went to watch all the Bond films and I read all the books. Now, I have to admit that while I remember very well all the films I can hardly remember the books HaHa.

Now, the real taste for movies as far as going to the Cinema came just before "Goldfinger" when a groups of friends and I went to see a rerun of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn at the end of the 60s , boy from that day onwards I could not be stopped ;-)

Of course I used to watch old movies on TV before that of which I still remember:

The Mark of Zorro (1940)
Cyrano of Bergerac (1950)
Gentleman Jim (1942)

Ah if you wonder I am not that old , when a kid I was in a small South America country called Venezuela and those were the films presented on TV at my time ;-)

Cheers

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Thanks for the post, Carlos. You old fucker! :D

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 pm
Well when I was (too) young, my old folks frequently talked about films they watched in the movie theater.
I saw some movies for kids in the late 60s and early 70s and I liked the atmosphere of those old "secondary" (just a few miles away from the big town) cinemas (there was a certain smell about it and they still had black and white newsreels before the main feature - nobody cared anymore about at the time - neither did I - but I loved the look of it. Shrarp as a straight razor and filled with old fashioned dramatic voice over).

It wasn't until I watched movies like "Earthquake" (The movie was rated for ages 16 and above but I was age 14 - and they let me in - even without a fake mustache) and "Jaws" when it finally hit me. I became movie-crazy. I watched re-runs of Hammer Horror (I became a Chris Lee, Peter Cushing and Vincent Price fan) and by the late 70s I was sold. My dad was crazy about the Bond movies - and we saw them all. I watched "The Deer Hunter" exactly on my 18th birthday with my dad. Now that's something. In a time before VHS a lot of movies had re-runs - so I watched a lot of 50s and 60s stuff in a movie theater. A lot of it badly scratched and worn. But some of it a blessing like watching "2001" twice in the 70s on a 70mm print.
I have so much more to tell, but I will call it a day for now. I look forward to reading more interesting stories.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:50 pm
Cinematographer

I started going to the local theater back in the late 60's and early 70's. My friends and I would walk (about two miles - the journey back and forth was as much fun as the movie) to the Saturday matinee where movies past their first run (sometimes long past) were played. There were no choices - it was one room with one movie, but still much fun. The most memorable ones were Godzilla movies and fantasy tales of Sinbad and such. I remember seeing Scrooge at a Christmas showing and still try to watch it each year in the nights leading up to Christmas.

The cinema is one area where I don't long for the good old days. I much prefer the setup and the films of today for the most part, but family obligations prevent me from attending with any serious frequency at all. I don't like to fight the crowds on opening night, but usually wait a few weeks to catch a quieter showing.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am
Cinematographer

My mom has always enjoyed films, although mostly on a superficial level. She was a fan of action stars, and Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson. I remember her taking us all to see Jaws 3-D :D I still remember when we got our first VHS in the late 80s and went to our first video store as a family (my mother and my three brothers). She rented Pale Rider, I rented Transformers: The Movie. Through my youth we watched films, but nothing too far from mainstream. Heck, even my church did frequent runs to films where we even discussed them afterwards (we watched Over the Top, Walking Tall, Tank, and others like this).

I started delving more deeply into films after I got into college. As a matter of fact, if I had gotten into films earlier, I probably would've studied something related. Anyway, I guess that on those first years of the web, I started surfing film pages like IMDb and the likes, which got me more curious about different films. The rest is history.

My nephew, who is currently 16, has turned into quite a film buff also. We were even swapping stories about classics he has seen which I haven't, and viceversa.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:59 pm
Profile WWW