Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 am

Movie Tourism 
Second Unit Director

Post Movie Tourism
Has anyone ever taken a trip to see something "movie related"? Not to see a movie, but to see something related to a movie, either a filming location, historic theater or museum, props, etc?

I'm contemplating a trip to Woodstock, IL to see the square where Groundhog Day was filmed. It's not that far off of my normal traveled path, so it wouldn't be difficult. I was just curious if anyone has done similar.

What ya got?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:44 pm
Producer

Post Re: Movie Tourism
Bolton Abbey and Hadrian's Wall where "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" was filmed.

Sherwood Forest was ironically deemed unsuitable

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:58 pm
Producer

..actually the film is a geographic con. Costner and Freeman get off their boats at Dover (south coast) and head for Nottinghamshire (midlands) but do so via Hadrian's Wall (near the Scottish border).

In short, Kev and Morgan go about 500 miles out their way.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:11 pm
Producer

I haven't. I'd like to visit Monument Valley and the Vasquez rocks.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm
Producer

I've walked through Times Square and it occurred to me that it's where much of Taxi Driver was filmed, if that counts.

(You can't really go to Times Square specifically because of Taxi Driver, given that most of the locations have been torn down or renovated.)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 pm
Auteur

Awf Hand wrote:
Has anyone ever taken a trip to see something "movie related"? Not to see a movie, but to see something related to a movie, either a filming location, historic theater or museum, props, etc?

I'm contemplating a trip to Woodstock, IL to see the square where Groundhog Day was filmed. It's not that far off of my normal traveled path, so it wouldn't be difficult. I was just curious if anyone has done similar.

What ya got?

I went to Woodstock once, though I can't recall if I was anywhere near that square.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 pm
Director

In Crank, Statham drives by where I get lunch all the time. That's about as far as it goes for me.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 pm
Second Unit Director

The vampire movie Daybreakers was filmed at a lot of memorable landmarks around Brisbane, Australia. I didn't realise until a friend who's a local pointed it out to me, but it turns out I'd visited many of them.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Thurmond, WV, where Matewan was filmed, is close to my hometown. I've been there several times, though generally not because of Matewan; indeed, most of the times I've been there were before the film was ever made. A bunch of us did go there a year or two after it was filmed specifically to check out exactly where some of the scenes were shot, though.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 am
Second Unit Director

When I was in Hong Kong for the first time, I made a point of visiting Chungking Mansions in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon in order to see the location of Wong Kar-Wei's 'Chungking Express'. It doesn't look anything like in the movie. It's a rather run-down, dark and squalid place and my wife made me leave after five minutes cause she got scared by some sinister-looking people.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:16 pm
Second Unit Director

I live near SF, so occasionally I'll wind up at a place a movie was shot. Sometimes I notice it (e.g. Vertigo, The Conversation, Bullitt) but most of the time I don't (e.g. The Pursuit of Happyness, Contagion, pretty much everything else). I don't know if I've ever gone somewhere to say, "Hey, I went to that place where that movie was shot." I'm not against doing it, either, I just don't think it's happened. Not that I can remember.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 pm
Auteur

I live near Antioch, where part of Ladder 49 was filmed(the scenes at the fire station). I also live within a few miles of the El Rancho motel featured in "Planes, Trains, And Automobiles" and drive by it almost every day, and parts of The Ice Harvest were shot in Waukegan where my grandmother lives.

One famous landmark near me that gets used a lot is the Amstutz Expressway, it's a short stretch of road which was supposed to be an expressway but never got finished, so it's often used for car chases or highway scenes in films like Blues Brothers, Batman Begins, Contagion, Eagle Eye, and Save The Last Dance; and now the TV series "Chicago Fire" is currently filming there.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 pm
Second Unit Director

So, really, it sounds like only a couple of you have gone somewhere specifically to see a movie location..? I'd have expected a few more.

Vexer is close to many in Chicago. My wife's uncle worked for the city and was performing some maintenance when they were doing exterior shots of a fire station for Backdraft. If you're quick you can spot his toolbox. I've been on movie tours with him all over Chicago. Blues Brothers was my favorite drive-around. The same uncle was a huge BB fan and knows the city almost as well as a cabbie. No photos, but lots of memories of Lower Wacker and the lift bridge. We made it out to Joliet on a different trip to see the prison. I want to tour the Rialto when I'm down there for a Route 66 ride. Ferris Bueller fan? They got that too.

This I did take photos of: (Edit- These were on a different trip to... if you guessed Fargo, you're right)

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 pm
Auteur

Almost forgot, the horror film The Relic was filmed at the Chicago Field Museum, which i've been to several times.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:15 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Almost forgot, the horror film The Relic was filmed at the Chicago Field Museum, which i've been to several times.

And if you've seen the Maneaters of Tsavo Exhibit, you've seen the real lions from The Ghost and the Darkness.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I haven't. I'd like to visit Monument Valley and the Vasquez rocks.

That's awesome. I live about 20 minutes away from here. I pass it up on the freeway while heading to LA. You're constantly seeing things going on there. Of the many films it's in, the most recent I remember is in Little Miss Sunshine.. You can see it in the background when they are starting the trip.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:40 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I've passed by here a couple of times. You guys probably don't recognize the exterior.

Attachment:
LebowskiCoffeeShop.jpg
LebowskiCoffeeShop.jpg [ 38.96 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me."

and

"Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses."

It was also in American History X.

I've got a few more that I need to think about...

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:07 pm