Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 am

So, How Did You Guys Discover "ReelViews"? 
Cinematographer

Post So, How Did You Guys Discover "ReelViews"?
I'm relatively new to the forums, so I thought that it would be fun to discuss how we all discovered James' website.

I first stumbled across the site quite a few years back, when I found a review by James on many of the movies I looked up on Rotten Tomatoes. I decided to look into his site, and since then, he has become one of my favorite film critics. In fact, he ranks second behind Ebert in my book. I also am a big fan of Richard Roeper, Peter Travers, Emanuel Levy, Christy Lemire, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, Michael Phillips, A.O. Scott, The Young Turks, Ben Lyons (just kidding), a ton of YouTube movie critics, and of course, the late Gene Siskel.

So, how about you guys? How did you discover ReelViews? I'm only been commenting on the forums for about eight months now, and I've only started writing this frequently since December.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: So, How Did You Guys Discover "ReelViews"?
A friend of mine at work turned me on to the review site probably around 12 or more years ago. The forums, of course, are a relatively recent addition.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm
Director

Ebert mentioned it on his website.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm
Producer

I believe I was looking through reviews on Movie Review Query and this site popped up(forgot which review it was though), I regularly followed the reviews starting around 2008, and I've been with the forum since the beginning.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 pm
Critic

Great question, Sean.

I started reading James because I was (and am) an IMDB junkie and I noticed that when my primary reviewer, Ebert, didn't review a movie, this James Berardinelli guy usually did. So he became an important part of my post-watch ritual.

Then in 2009 I was working as a substitute teacher and had a ton of downtime, so I filled the gaps with Reelviews. Now, even with the forum a fraction of what it once was, I still find it far more important to my life than JB himself, who has fallen behind the AV Club and the NY Times in my reviewer hierarchy. Fucking wife/kids ruined him

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm
Second Unit Director

IMDB -> Mortal Kombat: Annihilation -> External Reviews -> Clicked James link.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:22 pm
Producer

Egads, I don't even remember how I first stumbled across this site. It was sometime before he began the piecemeal revelation of his top 100 list. (Is that thing still around?) I don't think I got here through any of the major wiki/aggregator sites. It may have been a good ol'-fashioned search engine.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I need Metamucil and a nap.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm
Producer

Via Rotten Tomatoes 2 years ago. Followed a couple of links by chance and ended up here. Browsed for a couple months before signing up.

Good forum by any standard

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:20 pm
Director

2005, I was trying to read as many perspective on the Bond movies I could find, found JB's, then became interested in the rest of his site.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
2005, I was trying to read as many perspective on the Bond movies I could find, found JB's, then became interested in the rest of his site.

One of my favorite features of the site early on. Most other critics with websites were simply archiving their reviews as they appeared in print. JB was showing a bit of prescience with the format by organizing the Bond reviews into a complete catalog.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:03 pm
Cinematographer

A few years back, I used to have an office mate who was as movie buff too and he mentioned James as his primary critic so I checked him out and I liked his taste and style too. Now I only joined this forum at the beginning of last year to enter JB's Oscars competition lol

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm another one of those who found this site through Rotten Tomatoes. It goes to show that at least some of the top critics listed on that site know what they're talking about.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:14 pm
Director

IMDB External Reviews. Kept seeing his name as the critic who always came after Ebert.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:14 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Started reading his reviews off of Rotten Tomatoes and Ebert's word of mouth (still a valuable source of information and film knowledge) around 2006/07. Got into the forum a bit after it started and fell in love with the place, even now I still can't find a forum with opinions and discussion I actually value like this site's; and compared to three/four years ago this place blows.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 pm
Director

When I was 11 or 12 and in a Harry Potter-crazed phase, I found its Rotten Tomatoes review page from Google and skimping through reviews of the first movie (or second). I came upon his review and felt it was more organized and easier to read than most (to my young, English-as-a-second-languge mind). At the time I only looked through a few other reviews. Then 3 or 4 years later I was getting into movies and remembered this site. And been a close follower ever since.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:

I think this was my introduction to his site as well. Don't remember for sure though; this had to be back in either my freshman or sophomore year of high school, which would have been sometime around 2003-2004. I think he was in the early stages of working his way through his Top 100.

I signed up for the forum almost immediately when it was first created, but mostly existed as a "lurker" in the early years, or as some posters probably consider it, the "golden years." It took a little while before I finally started to contribute on a more regular basis.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I don't really remember. I've been reading Berardinelli's reviews for quite some time now. Several years. That said, I didn't find the forums until several months ago, and joined just last month.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Ebert mentioned it on his website.

I think this is how I first found him, too. Or maybe through Rotten Tomatoes? Kind of slowly became my #2 go-to critic, then my #1.

Can't for the life of me remember how long ago that was--before Reelthoughts, the top #100, and the posting of his fantasy novels. So... at least 10-12 years?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 pm
Second Unit Director

I remember reading his reviews back in high-school, which means over a decade ago. I have no recollection of course as to how I found it. I know I read his review of Fight Club when it first came out in 1999 and wanted desperately to see it then. That's like 13 to 14 years ago. If memory serves, I might have found it by searching for reviews of The Phantom Menace which would be the right time period. I think his positive review of Contact and The Phantom Menace, were what convinced me to read as many of his reviews as possible.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

The first Berardinelli review I read was for [i]Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban[/i] in 2004. I had been doing google searches for reviews of random movies, and I clicked the links to several JB reviews in the process. Something about his writing style caught my attention--he seemed intelligent, but easier to read than someone like Ebert. I joined the forum in early 2009 (when Robert Holloway was hosting the weekly competition), but I don't post very often.

Is it just me, or are we gradually losing all of the moderators?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 am