Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:03 am

Just watched "Akira" 
Second Unit Director

Post Just watched "Akira"
I'm sure theres a thread similar to this, but I thought I'd make a new one just to elicit new responses. Hopefully I won't be extremely scrutinized for the following:

Akira holds a vast amount of praise and I just don't really see it from a narrative standpoint. I can admire Akira, and the impact that it had on western cinema, but I'm not overly fond of the film as a whole. It offers solid social commentary in parts--however at times it becomes overworked. Once the film progresses into its final act it becomes silly, and the messages that it tries to offer begin to morph into undistinguishable mass. Tetsuo and Kaneda's relationship isn't strong, and the conflict between them seems dull. The viewers aren't given much development in this aspect, and motivations seem to be lingering by a very thin thread.Theres also plot problems as well that are never concluded or explained that kinda irritated me.

Just wanted to know what you guys thought

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Just watched "Akira"
JackBurns wrote:
I'm sure theres a thread similar to this, but I thought I'd make a new one just to elicit new responses. Hopefully I won't be extremely scrutinized for the following:

Akira holds a vast amount of praise and I just don't really see it from a narrative standpoint. I can admire Akira, and the impact that it had on western cinema, but I'm not overly fond of the film as a whole. It offers solid social commentary in parts--however at times it becomes overworked. Once the film progresses into its final act it becomes silly, and the messages that it tries to offer begin to morph into undistinguishable mass. Tetsuo and Kaneda's relationship isn't strong, and the conflict between them seems dull. The viewers aren't given much development in this aspect, and motivations seem to be lingering by a very thin thread.Theres also plot problems as well that are never concluded or explained that kinda irritated me.

Just wanted to know what you guys thought

I agree, mainly because I know that the film overly compacted the storyline from the original manga series. In doing so, it brought up a lot of concepts and plot points that never had their contexts explained. When I watch this film now, I just focus on the quality of the animation which is what led to its popularity in North America. This film had one of the biggest budgets allotted to it for an anime production, and the producers made sure that the audience could see where every yen went.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 pm
Second Unit Director

I see Akira as more of an amazing experience than an actual story....at least in movie form. I haven't read the manga.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Akira is an exemplary cinematic experience, but I can only imagine how hard it must have been to turn a massive epic of a manga into a two hour film when the series wasn't even finished (publication stopped in 1990 while the film was released in 1988). As it stands the film remains one of the most creative and inventive anime's released, even if it does remain a bit underdeveloped.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 pm
Producer

It is an incredible cinematic experience with a lot of smart ideas, even if it is overstuffed.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
It is an incredible cinematic experience with a lot of smart ideas, even if it is overstuffed.

It is indeed an *experience* more than it is a film. This is one that one would want to have a decent home theater rig for.

It also helped introduce western audiences to the Japanese psyche, specifically their obsession with nuclear explosions. Actually, I guess it would be more of a traumatic obsession thanks to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Urutsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend was another experience for me, albeit a pretty fucked-up one.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Like I stated earlier, I can appreciate Akira for everything that it has inspired, but I can't see the greatness that many claim to see in it. Its a story about someone who feels weak, who then gets great power. That in itself is a little cliche..especially in this film because the characters aren't well grounded--at least in my opinion. Perhaps if it were better developed, and executed it wouldn't seem this way. Again, narratively speaking I don't see strength, and it just seems to be an overrated work in some cases. With that said I loved the style of Akira, and the animation was dandy--but other than that it feels weak and I think its because it tries to encompass way too much like many of you have said. Definitely an enjoyable watch for its content, but not a pleasing one story wise

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
It is indeed an *experience* more than it is a film.

Every film is an experience. Some are more of an experience than others, and that is a good thing.

Last edited by Ken on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 am
Second Unit Director

Akira is one of my favourite movies, but I concede that the plot is impenetrable when you watch it for the first time. Actually, it didn't make much sense for me until around the third or fourth time I watched it. (I also haven't read the manga.) I would also agree that it tries to handle too many subplots - the personal relationship between Kaneda and Tetsuo, the government conspiracy, the rebels, the mystery surrounding Akira and the psychic children, all of which are intertwined.

That being said, I was mightily impressed by the visuals from the go. I would argue that this is the technically most ambitious and best-drawn of all traditionally animated movies (i.e. without the assistance of CGI). And I'm including Ghost in the Shell and Miyazaki's work.

Concerning Tetsuo's story arch and his reationship with Kaneda: The plot of a minnow getting great power and becoming a sort of megalomaniac and the younger sibling/older brother-type conflicts between the two characters aren't exactly original, but I think that Akira does a good job of presenting this material.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 am