Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Holy Crap the Oscars Did Awesome! 
Critic

Post Holy Crap the Oscars Did Awesome!
Amour got a Best Picture nomination! I haven't seen it but very, very few foreign language films have made it and that's cool to see. Plus it wasn't just an expanded field nomination -- Haneke got a Director nod.

Plus Les Miserables didn't run away with everything ever--although it did get the BP nod it was denied the Best Director nomination that it richly didn't deserve. Instead Beasts of the mothafuckin Southern Wild got a Best Director nomination! Awesome!

In other good news, Joaquin Phoenix got a richly-deserved Best Actor nomination, Quvenzhane Wallis got a sweet nod, Naomi Watts got some love for The Impossible, Ben Affleck didn't get a Director nod, and even if Sally Field got a nomination, I'm still really happy.

NO BLIND SIDE OR HELP! NO PANDERING RACIAL CRAP!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Holy Crap the Oscars Did Awesome!
Fucking brilliant!

I got the opportunity to see it at the Chennai Film Fest, and it is easily the best film of 2012 I've seen so far. (Argo is probably alongside it but both are different films, it is like comparing apples and oranges.)

It is one of the best on-screen meditations of love I've seen in forever, and it totally deserves to be nominated for Best Picture. 2012 is weak as it is in the BP category (as the Oscars sees it), so I can see why this made it, but I feel it would've made it in stronger years as well.

EDIT: Although I didn't expect it, no Visual Effects nominations for The Impossible is slightly disappointing.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Every now and then, the Academy really surprises with their nominations. This is one of those years. It also now looks like Lincoln is the frontrunner in the major categories.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Yeah. Maybe this makes me a bad person, but this year (other than Beasts and Amour/Haneke) I'm more happy with what was left out than what got in. Les Miz was one of the worst directed films I saw this year and I'm glad it was snubbed. I liked Argo a lot, but Affleck didn't need a nod here. And everyone said it was either Riva OR Wallis... but they both got in! Deservedly so, in my mind. Screw Marion Cotillard and that dreadful film.

And yes, Spielberg probably has the big 2 sewn up... but the upset special is Haneke. And I don't think that's just wishful thinking on my part. I mean, I trust the Oscars to reward quality about as much as I trust Russell Westbrook to take a good shot (sorry, everyone not named Petey), but to me, a film getting director AND picture needs to be clearly the film of the year. Which Lincoln isn't. At all. I'm glad ZDT and Les Miz can't take both, but still.

I would have been fine (and happier) with Moonrise Kingdom getting the directing and picture nods in place of Beasts, but alas. Overall happier than many years past.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm
Producer

It's pretty stunning that both Affleck and Bigelow were snubbed.

Also Jacki Weaver getting in for best supporting actress was very surprising. Silver Linings got a lot of love. It could give Lincoln a run for it's money in the top 2 categories.

I'm happy for Life of Pi's 11 nominations. All well deserved. I'm rooting for it to win even though it's chances aren't great.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:01 pm
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
I trust the Oscars to reward quality about as much as I trust Russell Westbrook to take a good shot (sorry, everyone not named Petey)

This means he does not trust them one tiny bit to reward quality. It also means that they'll do a handful of amazing things and a handful of completely stupid things in equal doses, which is actually incredibly accurate.

The Best Director category has to be the biggest surprise in years. I mean, 3 stone cold locks were left out, and almost everyone had one of them winning the damn award. It's pretty shocking. I guess Speilberg is the favorite now, but man, how fucking great would it be if Haneke won it? I mean, Amour got a BP nomination, a writing nomination, and one for Best Actress. It's a legit contender, and that's another big shock. I officially can't wait to see it tomorrow night.

I agree on everyone who's saying Hooper being left out is great. His movie was a noble effort at a cool way to film a musical, but it was an abject failure as a piece of craftmanship. Great story, great performances, and terrible direction. Good for The Academy.

Phoenix got in, Skyfall got a cinematography nod, and people might know who Michael Haneke is now (probably not, but still). It's a great day for The Academy.

Lincoln will probably win everything, which will put a damper on things for me (not for most people, though), but I'm happy today.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm
Cinematographer

Very little to really complain about with this year's set of nominations, other than it's a little disappointing that Moonrise Kingdom got so little love.

Lincoln is now the pretty clear frontrunner for the big awards, which is fine I guess. I admired the film but it's not something I'll be putting in my end-of-year Top 10. Argo, on the other hand, looks to have taken a dip in regards to momentum.

Cool to see Haneke getting recognized. Also cool, at least for me, that The Dark Knight Rises got completely snubbed.

Good for the Academy for recognizing how brilliant Jacki Weaver was in Silver Linings Playbook. It's not a showy part at all, but in many ways she's the heart and soul of that film. I'm also glad The Master was recognized at least a little with the nominations of Phoenix, Hoffman, and Adams. Christoph Waltz was the standout element of Django Unchained, so I'm cool with his nomination as well.

Like everyone's already mentioned, that Best Director category is a real pleasant surprise, specifically the absence of Affleck and Hooper. I enjoyed both of those films, but expertly directed they are not.

Shame Skyfall only got relatively minor nods, although the Cinematography nomination is well-deserved. I suppose hoping for more was a pipe dream anyway.

But yeah, a pretty solid list. Speaks to the strong overall quality of films this last year.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I would personally consider cinematography to be a major nod, even if it is a "technical" category. (I.e. Everybody knows what acting is, and everybody's pretty sure they know what directing is, but everything that requires more specialized knowledge is "technical".)

Surely in an artistic medium that is defined by moving images, more responsibility rests upon the shoulders of the person directly responsible for capturing those images than upon any other technician, no?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:33 pm
Second Unit Director

All things considered, this is about as good of a set of nominees they could logistically put out. Am I happy Wuthering Heights was left out of the Best Cinematography discussion? No. (As it turns out, the film wasn't eligible for anything because it didn't do one of the basic things for eligibility.) Am I happy the documentary branch ignored Jiro Dreams of Sushi for the shortlist and This is Not a Film for the long list? No. The Oscars are never going to be the best indicator of quality and I've long said that. Each year, I never give them too much or too little credit. Though maybe they did better this year than last year, in the long run, it won't be any different.

That's why we have the Pedros!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:40 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I would personally consider cinematography to be a major nod, even if it is a "technical" category. (I.e. Everybody knows what acting is, and everybody's pretty sure they know what directing is, but everything that requires more specialized knowledge is "technical".)

Surely in an artistic medium that is defined by moving images, more responsibility rests upon the shoulders of the person directly responsible for capturing those images than upon any other technician, no?

Absolutely, and I didn't word that properly above. I should have said "Excellent to see Skyfall get a well-deserved Cinematography nod. Shame it didn't find its way into any of the other major award categories."

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Skyfall getting a cinematography nomination was just about the only thing I cared about going in to the nominations. It's fantastic to see Haneke get some attention, but that was more a really unexpected shock than something I thought should absolutely happen. Skyfall and Deakins deserve to win the award.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm
Director

Quote:
I would have been fine (and happier) with Moonrise Kingdom getting the directing and picture nods in place of Beasts, but alas. Overall happier than many years past.

Same here. Moonrise got snubbed, but there are some good things here too. Does Russell have a shot? I think his film is more deserving than Lincoln.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Same here. Moonrise got snubbed, but there are some good things here too. Does Russell have a shot? I think his film is more deserving than Lincoln.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Did not expect you to say that, my good man! But I agree. While I don't get the love for Silver Linings overall (I think Lawrence is a bit miscast), I think Russell did a solid job with the material. Certainly a better job than Spielgs did with Lincoln. I mean, the guy should lose the award simply because

[Reveal] Spoiler:
he didn't end it with Lincoln walking down the hallway to go to the play!! That was the most obvious time to end a movie ever!!

Again, for that ALONE he shouldn't win it. Alas. I'm pulling for Haneke all the way, but we'll see.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 am
Producer

Well I thought Skyfall would get a nod, and ditto Bardem for best supporting actor.

Fuck the Oscars. They're a pile of shite!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 am
Critic

Oh lame I just noticed that Matthew McConaughey didnt get a supporting nod for Magic Mike. Laaaaaaaaame

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 pm
Cinematographer

Only a few gripes for me, too.

Glad to see Bigelow snubbed for Zero Dark Thirty. Awful, awful awful movie, in my opinion. One of my least favorite and most disappointing films of 2012. I also didn't care much for Les Miserables, so it is nice to see Hooper get snubbed, as well.

No love for Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained? Really? His performance was far better than, say, that of Alan Arkin in Argo, who was mostly used for comic relief. The Academy must really hate Jack from Titanic.

Nothing for The Dark Knight Rises. Pathetic. To think that one can now exclaim the following phrases while not being able to say the same about Nolan's sweeping conclusion to the greatest comic-book saga of all time speaks volumes about the Academy's incompetence:
1. The Academy Award-nominated The Hobbit: An Unexpected Joruney
2. The Academy Award-nominated Prometheus
3. The Academy Award-nominated Ted (I loved this one, but it's still weird.)
4. The Academy Award-nominated Snow White and the Huntsman :shock:
5. And my personal favorite: the Academy Award-nominated Mirror Mirror :evil:

Ben Affleck's snub is saddening, although I suppose that he still has a few more steps to take before rising to the very, very top. That being said, I would have swapped out Ang Lee for him.

Nothing for John Hawkes or Richard Gere. Further idiocy. I would replace Jackman with Hawkes and perhaps even Washington with Gere. I'm starting to think that the Academy should expand these categories to six or seven nominees. Maybe.

No Best Actress nomination for Marion Cotillard in Rust and Bone? Another misstep. I would sub out Chastain with her. Then again, I am one of the four people on the planet who put Zero Dark Propaganda on his worst-of list.

Glad to see Haneke and Zeitlin get some more recognition, especially at the expense of Hooper, who did a poor job directing Les Miserables, and Bigelow, whose Zero Dark Thirty has managed to make me a very angry moviegoer. ;)

Best Animated Feature was done well, too. I personally would have switched out Brave with The Secret World of Arrietty, my favorite animated movie of 2012.

I still think that the Academy owes Christopher Nolan an apology for snubbing not just The Dark Knight in 2008, but also for ignoring him back in 2010 for directing Inception. That being said, I am not sure if I would have substituted him in for Lee or Russell, but it still would have been nice to see.

No Best Picture nod for The Master. Expected, but still disconcerting. My dream lineup of legitimate Best Picture contenders would have consisted of Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Dark Knight Rises, Django Unchained, Lincoln, The Master, Moonrise Kingdom, Silver Linings Playbook, and Skyfall.

Oh, and excluding Looper for Best Editing is beyond stupid, as is snubbing TDKR in all of the technical categories.

Last edited by Sean on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:25 pm
Director

If the Academy did drop the ball somewhere, it would be not nominating Cloud Atlas in the editing category. It's damn hard to take six stories and edit them together in a way that's coherent. Unfortunately, the films that usually get nominated are the ones that have the most editing, not necessarily the best.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 pm
Gaffer

Sean wrote:
Only a few gripes for me, too.

Glad to see Bigelow snubbed for Zero Dark Thirty. Awful, awful awful movie, in my opinion. One of my least favorite and most disappointing films of 2012. I also didn't care much for Les Miserables, so it is nice to see Hooper get snubbed, as well.

No love for Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained? Really? His performance was far better than, say, that of Alan Arkin in Argo, who was mostly used for comic relief. The Academy must really hate Jack from Titanic.

Nothing for The Dark Knight Rises. Pathetic. To think that one can now exclaim the following phrases while not being able to say the same about Nolan's sweeping conclusion to the greatest comic-book saga of all time speaks volumes about the Academy's incompetence:
1. The Academy Award-nominated The Hobbit: An Unexpected Joruney
2. The Academy Award-nominated Prometheus
3. The Academy Award-nominated Ted (I loved this one, but it's still weird.)
4. The Academy Award-nominated Snow White and the Huntsman :shock:
5. And my personal favorite: the Academy Award-nominated Mirror Mirror :evil:

Ben Affleck's snub is saddening, although I suppose that he still has a few more steps to take before rising to the very, very top. That being said, I would have swapped out Ang Lee for him.

Nothing for John Hawkes or Richard Gere. Further idiocy. I would replace Jackman with Hawkes and perhaps even Washington with Gere. I'm starting to think that the Academy should expand these categories to six or seven nominees. Maybe.

No Best Actress nomination for Marion Cotillard in Rust and Bone? Another misstep. I would sub out Chastain with her. Then again, I am one of the four people on the planet who put Zero Dark Propaganda on his worst-of list.

Glad to see Haneke and Zeitlin get some more recognition, especially at the expense of Hooper, who did a poor job directing Les Miserables, and Bigelow, whose Zero Dark Thirty has managed to make me a very angry moviegoer. ;)

Best Animated Feature was done well, too. I personally would have switched out Brave with The Secret World of Arrietty, my favorite animated movie of 2012.

I still think that the Academy owes Christopher Nolan an apology for snubbed not just The Dark Knight in 2008, but also for ignoring him back in 2010 for directing Inception. That being said, I am not sure if I would have substituted him in for Lee or Russell, but it still would have been nice to see.

No Best Picture nod for The Master. Expected, but still disconcerting. My dream lineup of legitimate Best Picture contenders would have consisted of Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Dark Knight Rises, Django Unchained, Lincoln, The Master, Moonrise Kingdom, Silver Linings Playbook, and Skyfall.

Oh, and excluding Looper for Best Editing is beyond stupid, as is snubbing TDKR in all of the technical categories.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm
Cinematographer

Oh, and no nomination for This is Not a Film? Is smuggling a movie out of a country in a cake not good enough for the Academy?

In my opinion, This is Not a Film should not only receive the Best Documentary Feature Oscar, but it should also garner a Best Picture nomination at the minimum.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:
Oh, and no nomination for This is Not a Film? Is smuggling a movie out of a country in a cake not good enough for the Academy?

In my opinion, This is Not a Film should not only receive the Best Documentary Feature Oscar, but it should also garner a Best Picture nomination at the minimum.

None of the facts surrounding the film are relevant to its quality. It's a fine documentary, but to me it was memorable because of the subject, not because of the film, which was poorly edited and paced.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 pm